Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2009

merc2dogs is on a distinguished road
Same here, bought a 22 foot trailer sailer for $400. Spent a couple weeks cleaning it up, painting,and doing a few small repairs, then spent the summer out sailing on lake michigan. That fall I sold the boat and trailer for $2400 and bought another cheap boat and did the same the next summer.
Trick is you have to know what you're looking at, don't want to pick up a cheap boat that ends up having serious issues. I've seen perfectly sound boats sit unsold at low prices because of cosmetic issues, while boats that looked great, but had more serious problems sold for a lot more.
Also depends a great deal on what you want out of the boat in the first place.

Ken.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-25-2009

WanderingStar is on a distinguished road
In 1991 (yeah, a long time ago) I bought a 20' sloop, trailer, engine, cushions etc for $600. I sailed and cruised her for eight years. Just be careful where you go with an inexpensive boat, not too far from shore. And don't overequip it, go simple. Fair winds.
Old 03-25-2009

biloxijes is on a distinguished road
New to crusing

Hi
I just bought a Catalina 27, 1982 vintage but restored with recent (40 hrs since OH). I am on MS gulfcoast and plan to go south, off shore and Intercoastal to about keywest and return.
I need a skiff for me (245lbs) and the wife, some bit lighter. I dare not mention her weight Ha Ha.

What do you crusiers recommend. A rubber dinghey or alum skiff about 14 ft with small outboard say a 6 hp? I am shopping and have only about $1000 left to spend on dinghey.

biloxijes

P.S. I will be towing. No lifts or davits.

Last edited by biloxijes; 03-25-2009 at 02:12 PM.
Old 03-25-2009

SSBN506 is on a distinguished road
Don't forget to get it surveyed before you buy. Even a free boat should be surveyed. Insurance will make you do it anyway might as well do it beforehand and get the option to walk away.
Old 03-25-2009
first sailed january 2008

northoceanbeach is on a distinguished road
I was thinking of buying something like a cal20 in portland oregon for like maybe 1500. I bought a cal20 here in Honolulu for 1600 and had a lot of fun with that.

Then for about 2 months I could sail as far up the Columbia Gorge as I can, exploring the towns which are supposed to abe a blast in summer like the dalles and hood river, and then turn around and go to Astoria, anchoring at alot of little islands and checking out the channels and rivers along the way.

It seems like a good first cruise. Some navigation, but you're on a river, so it's not too bad. Plenty of towns along the way to restock and refuel, but also good nature, so I can hike and stuff.
Old 03-25-2009

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by biloxijes View Post
Hi
I just bought a Catalina 27, 1982 vintage but restored with recent (40 hrs since OH). I am on MS gulfcoast and plan to go south, off shore and Intercoastal to about keywest and return.
I need a skiff for me (245lbs) and the wife, some bit lighter. I dare not mention her weight Ha Ha.

What do you crusiers recommend. A rubber dinghey or alum skiff about 14 ft with small outboard say a 6 hp? I am shopping and have only about $1000 left to spend on dinghey.

biloxijes

P.S. I will be towing. No lifts or davits.
Hi, Welcome to Sailnet, and congrats on your new boat!

May I suggest that you start a new thread to discuss this dinghy issue? I think your question will get lost in this thread and you may not get the answers/advice you're hoping for. Good luck!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 03-25-2009

SOUNDBOUNDER is on a distinguished road
My first boat was a Bristol 24 that I paid around a thousand bucks for.
I went all over Long Island Sound in that boat after one season of fixing it up, and using it on a limited basis.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-25-2009
the pointy end is the bow

erps will become famous soon enough erps will become famous soon enough
There have been some articles in 'Lectronic Lattitude" about an Islander 36 over in Europe that has been bought and sold once or twice now for a low price by people who just go over there to cruise a short period and then pass on the boat for the next opportunity. As long as you can find a boat that you won't always be fixin', you have a good chance of having a lot of fun for not too much money.
La Conner, WA

Boating for over 25 years, some of them successfully.
Old 03-26-2009

WanderingStar is on a distinguished road
Northocean, it sounds like fun, do it. I would not get a survey on a cheap boat, it isn't worth it.
Bilkoxi, get a rowboat. There are plenty of aluminum skiffs around, durable, light, stable. Get one of the smaller ones so you can row it. Capacities are listed in the boat. Rowing is easy with a little practice, oars are cheap and require no fuel or repair.
Old 03-26-2009

SSBN506 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingStar View Post
Northocean, it sounds like fun, do it. I would not get a survey on a cheap boat, it isn't worth it.
Bilkoxi, get a rowboat. There are plenty of aluminum skiffs around, durable, light, stable. Get one of the smaller ones so you can row it. Capacities are listed in the boat. Rowing is easy with a little practice, oars are cheap and require no fuel or repair.
In Canada you have to get survey for insurance, is this not the case in the USA. I don't know if it is against the law not to have it like cars though. I know to be a member of my yacht club and store the boat i have to have liability insurance but can you get that without an inspection?

Last edited by SSBN506; 03-26-2009 at 10:42 AM.