Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2009
Big Chicken Baby

Mimsy is on a distinguished road
What are you cruising on?

So what is everyone sailing on, how many peeps on board, ages, abilities, how long are you planning on being out, how long have you been out and where are you cruising?

I'm curious to see what vessels are working for everyone and why. I keep seeing " If you don't sail XYZ you will be miserable and die a horrible death" or some other bit of really unhelpful opinions. ( not so much on sailnet but other places). Usually it comes from peeps who are PLANNING on cruising someday but aren't actually doing it.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-25-2009

CaptainForce will become famous soon enough
We first got "out" in 1972 on a Whitney 30 S&S sloop that we sailed to Florida.

We had a couple of babies so we moved to a 33' boat until they were 7 & 9 when we bought a Morgan OI 41.

Now the children have houses so were cruising between Maine and the Bahamas with the seasons. I'm not sure what "out" means. Were at a dock now in north Florida preparing for a slow cruise up to Maine,- don't want to arrive before it warms up a little. The two of us on board are either in our 38th year "out" or we're not "out" at all. We've never owned anything ashore. Are we "out"? I've heard that before, but I need help. What does "out" mean when people speak of cruising? 'take care and joy, Aythya crew
Old 03-25-2009
Big Chicken Baby

By out I mean, how long until you return to life on land for a brief bit of time before planning your next adventure.
Old 03-26-2009
Swab

vega1860 is on a distinguished road
We are a couple, consider ourselves "experienced" cruisers sailing a Vega 27. I have lived aboard this boat since 1990. Laura joined me in '96. We lived in Honolulu working regular jobs, sailing around the islands when ever we had time off. We also took vacations and flew to the Pacific Northwest to crew with friends and have crossed the Pacific (Laura twice) in other, larger boats. In 2007 I retired and we sailed our Vega to Neah Bay, WA and have been cruising as far North as Maple Bay, BC. We are presently in Seattle planning to head South, back into the Pacific after a trip to Alaska. We have no immediate plans to return to a land-based life.

You can read about our boat and our experiences in great detail on the American Vega Association Website (Click the footprints) and see more on our YouTube channel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 03-26-2009
Big Chicken Baby

Thanks this is helpful! What do you love about your boat and what would you change if you could?
Old 03-26-2009
Swab

vega1860 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimsy View Post
Thanks this is helpful! What do you love about your boat and what would you change if you could?
We love Lealea's sailing qualities and the intimate familiarity that comes from having rebuilt her ourselves. We think she is a handsome vessel and we love the fact that she will sail herself and hold a course without a "Plumber's nightmare" hanging off the transom.

Over the course of the nineteen years I've owned her, I've pretty much changed everything that needed changing. Again, details on the AVA Website's Life in the Sticks and Cruising pages under "Refitting in Port Townsend". We are considering a better heating arrangement but I am inclined rather to simply avoid the high latitudes during winter months.

Old 03-26-2009
Newly wed

JacquelineHaden is on a distinguished road
My husband and I are preparing our 27' NorSea to do some long time sailing. We are going to do our "boot camp" sailing starting in July and sail around the CA coast. Then in Oct we are going to do the Baja haha and after that continue on down to Porte Rico and then the Papagos and then off to New Zealand. We will be taking our German Shorthair - Ranger, and our 28lb cat..Bubba the hut. He's a Mancoon.
Old 03-26-2009

CaptainForce will become famous soon enough
Thanks, Mimsy, for the "out" definition. No "life on land" for us, so we've been out for 38 years. 'take care and joy, Aythya crew
Old 03-26-2009
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
We have been boating with our kids basically since their birth.

We lived aboard and cruised on our Catalina 380. Here is a pic:

She was a good boat but a slug in the water. We LA'd with 2 dogs, a 1 yo boy, me and the wife!!!! Here is a pic of Chase watching TV and mom holding chase:

Mom and dad fell in love with it and wanted to go with us. We have since moved up to a Catalina 400 (after much looking and debating, but that is another story). My mom and dad purchased a Tayana Vancouver 42. We also now have a 5 yo (glen) and Chase is now 8.

Boating and sailing is our life. My kids have not really known any other "passtime". It is not and was not ever easy... but that's what makes it great. Here's a great pic of Kris and the kids, and here is one of Kris and dad on our 400.

That's our story, anyways.

Brian

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 03-26-2009

St Anna is on a distinguished road
Thats a cool bbq CD - I dont see any shackles - how do you chain yourself to it?

Love the colour of the boat -

Are you guys heading offshore?