Flare-guns and other alternatives (excluding guns) as weapons - Page 2 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2009

capttb is on a distinguished road
I don't usually carry weapons on the boat, but if you carry some diving gear seems like it would be reasonable for you to also have a Bang Stick. Available in calibers from .22 to .357 and shotgun shell sizes. Because it is a point blank weapon (as they get close enough to identify as sharks or gators) they are effective even when firing a blank. Firing them out of the water voids the warranty of course.
Bang Stick - Mahalo
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-26-2009
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
btw......re the latest incident in Thailand have a read of this from Noonsite.

That there could be a possible resurgence of piracy in Thailand , which has been pretty safe in recent years, is a major worry but this does appear to be a one off.

quote "This we believe may be a one-off in special circumstances where the three Myanmar culprits escaped from a Thai fishing boat where they were been treated as slaves. How what they claimed was a raid to get food went so terribly wrong we will never know. They were all in their teens, the youngest being 15. Perhaps a return to the Caribbean tactic of locking yourself in at night when in remote anchorages should be considered."

Full transcript on Noonsite.

http://www.noonsite.com/Members/val/R2009-03-26-1/view

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 03-26-2009
Hmmm

Bilgewater is on a distinguished road
I think everyone's opinion here is quite sound and I doubt that I would confront anyone. I would just let them take what they needed and hopefully they will just go away. I can always replace what they took, but my life can't be replaced but I would want a backup system as an option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacquelineHaden View Post
Wow..the bear banger sounds dangerous to the operator...think I'll just stick with the simple things...flare gun, bear spray....and most of all prayer
I don't think it's dangerous and it is quite simple. (but it could be...this is definately not an endorsement, I've never used one myself) I took the liberty of borrowing my buddies to show you and anyone else that's interested. It works just like a flare gun, you screw on the flare or banger and to fire it you need to pull back on the fireing pin. As you can see in the photos, it's about the size of a pen and it's made of aluminum and probably a steel firing pin. Even if it's kept as a backup system in the ditch bag (it also fires flares) which are $18.00CAD for 6 flares, that's a lot cheeper than 12gauge flares which are about $100CAD for 12. It wouldn't replace a flare gun but I think it's great for taking in the bush or jungle. I think a bigger threat is a charging animal.

In any case, Blue Sovereign was wondering about other flare gun options so I thought this would be helpful.

Here it is taken appart (it's quite a simple mechanism)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Impulse III
Truant Pilothouse
Old 01-29-2012

LManess is on a distinguished road
I know alot of people are wondering what to do in a port, especially if you have decided to carry weapons but now have turned them in to customs. Are you safe at night?

These are only a few suggestions but, you know the biggest knife around is a machete. Lost of countries, you'll see 6 year olds walking down the street with one and nobody bats an eye. It's pretty long and if the other guy doesn't come aboard with a gun, at least you have a chance even before they get too close to do you harm.

Also if you happen to be a light sleeper the other alternative is a sling shot. A good one, that raps around the forearm. Load it with a good size pellets and it can make your opponent want to be someplace else. This actually worked for me one night, tied up to a crowded dock, when I was asleep in the v-berth and woke to the sound of my dinghy line tied to the bow being slipped. The guy had trouble starting the motor, and I yelled and screamed - you know, no one even popped out to see what was going on. But my trusty slingshot got him a couple of times, and that did the trick.

The other thing about going ashore, that is a nice confidence builder is this thing I constructed, really to ward off the dogs while I was going for my morning jog. I took the end of a stay that I had changed, cut off about a foot of the end and put it inside a heavy rope. It was sort of good for knot skills, because I put in a handle, and put the stay on the other end. It was like a weighted sap. The nice thing about it to, was the dogs were smart enough to know that I were swinging something really bad, and not one of them bothered me again, I didn't have to make contact or anything, it was nice not to have to worry after a couple of too close calls.

But for warding off pirates at sea, I don't have any good alternatives for you.

Linda
Old 01-29-2012

JRA1968 is on a distinguished road
Like I said one another thread a couple days ago, compound bow with a maltave
Cocktail attached , and a few flare guns there are some older ones that are made as well as guns that pack a major punch. Cheers and strong winds
Old 02-02-2012

ftldiver is on a distinguished road
non gun alternatives?

spear gun, bow arrow/crossbow.

anyone actually seen a flare gun as a weapon?
Old 02-02-2012

jackdale will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by ftldiver View Post

anyone actually seen a flare gun as a weapon?
I saw it in "Dead Calm", must be true.
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203, 204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Old 02-02-2012
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
girls, if you actually own a flare gun, then you should also own expired flares after three years or less. And you really need to practice using the flare gun, if for no other reason that to see how puny and ineffective any non-SOLAS flare is.

So don't ask what flares can do, take an expired one, fire it up into the sky to see how it works. It will usually work even if it is ten years expired. Now take one and fire it at something you want to "kill". Don't be surprised if it bounces off and doesn't impress anyone.

There must be video already up on utube.
skygazer likes this.
Old 02-02-2012

jackdale will become famous soon enough
HS - can you make video?

We Canucks have no opportunity to fire expired flares. it is illegal.
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203, 204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Old 02-03-2012

Fiasco1 is on a distinguished road
Bear spray has a limited range, Now a good wasp or bee spray that shoots a stream may be a better deterant one shot to the head or eyes and their done. Perfectly legal and very avaliable.