Flare-guns and other alternatives (excluding guns) as weapons - Page 5 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-19-2012

WildJasmine is on a distinguished road
Potato Cannon filled with rocks and shells?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-19-2012

nodders is on a distinguished road
gas masks

love that idea! maybe throw on some Halloween type rubber scars and open sores and they would probably try to get as far away as possible
mzatanoskas likes this.
Old 02-19-2012

Capt Len is on a distinguished road
Doubt it. Last time I shot an intruder on my boat it happened so fast I didn't have time to consider his sense of humour.
Midnightflyer likes this.
Old 02-21-2012
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Oddly enough the Florida Nooze carried a story last weekend about cops who responded to a distrubance and shot a man after he threatened them with a flare pistol. One of the highly educated and trained policemen said they HAD to shoot him, because that (Olin type) flare gun could have killed someone, you know if it bounced and hit them in the confines of the building hallway. Honest, that's what he said, the flare could have killed someone, ate right into them.

Next it will be a kid setting his bed on fire, because he shot a flare at the boogeyman underneath it. What do they call that, "Justifiable boogeycide" ?

FWIW in my limited understanding of these things, a proper Molotov Cocktail is not the same thing as a gasoline bomb. Professor Molotov's contribution is supposedly adding a chemical mixture outside the bottle, so that it first ignites and burns on impact--and does not require being lit with a rag before being thrown.

Like self-strike matches, not readily found these days. And probably something that wouldn't be caught by anyone inspecting your boat for weapons. Just don't bang THOSE bottles around in the paint locker.
Old 02-21-2012
the pointy end is the bow

erps will become famous soon enough erps will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Sorry, but this is probably the most retarded thing I have ever heard.

Try splashing gasoline from a moving sailboat onto another boat without spilling half on your own. Then go ahead and launch flares.
Not everyone is handicapped with a lack of skill or imagination on how to transfer a breakable container of flamable fluid from one vessel to another without spillage.

Quote:
The contraption you mean is called a Molotov cocktail.
And anyone who comes close enough and is slow/benign enough to be hit by one probably was not a threat in the first place.
How do bad guys board your boat? Teleporter? Here's a Chinese Sailor defending his ship against pirates back in 2008.

Quote:
The floating line drags a mine, I presume?
No just a floating line to try and foul the prop on the other boat. You know, like they did in Whale Wars where they disabled a whaling ship.
La Conner, WA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Boating for over 25 years, some of them successfully.
Old 02-22-2012

mzatanoskas is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
One of the highly educated and trained policemen said they HAD to shoot him, because that (Olin type) flare gun could have killed someone, you know if it bounced and hit them in the confines of the building hallway. Honest, that's what he said, the flare could have killed someone, ate right into them.
to be fair, unless the policeman had experience of flare guns, I would have thought it a reasonable assumption to make.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
FWIW in my limited understanding of these things, a proper Molotov Cocktail is not the same thing as a gasoline bomb. Professor Molotov's contribution is supposedly adding a chemical mixture outside the bottle, so that it first ignites and burns on impact--and does not require being lit with a rag before being thrown.
Molotov was a Soviet minister and the molotov cocktail was mockingly named in his honour by the Finns when they were using it to fight off the Soviets in 1939.

I imagine it's a dirty but effective additional level of defence when trying to fight off pirates from boarding your container ship, but a lot less useful and probably far more dangerous to yourself as a fire hazard on a sailing boat. In a somali pirate type situation any resistance like this is likely to make your death/rape/torture a lot more probable I'd imagine.

But keeping with nautical tradition, for a rough and ready way to tackle unwanted intruders on your boat how about a good old slung shot/monkey's fist? They're illegal in loads of places, but I doubt they'd be recognised by many and could actually have a legitimate place on most boats.

Otherwise a simple cosh is suprisingly effective, easy to use and could be disguised in amusing ways if you have the imagination, or even the good old snooker ball in a sock?! You won't have trouble in customs with that. The lack of visual deterrent in this case can be made up for by stripping to your waist, swinging said sock with snooker ball wildly round your head whilst repeatedly shouting "Who's the f***ng daddy?!" in your best Ray Winstone accent.

Aaah, all satisfying ways of bashing would be pirates brains out... almost as fun as killing zombies...

I'd imagine prevention is much better than cure in any of these cases, as in keep out of areas with piracy problems, keep up to date on local info and follow all precautionary measures that local authorities advise...
Old 02-22-2012

LManess is on a distinguished road
So, let me get this straight. We're talking about alternatives to guns here right? So, now we're trying to convert a flare gun into a gun??? I thought that was what you were trying not to do.

Somehow I think we might have lost the thread.

Personally, I'll take my uzi any day.

Linda
Old 02-22-2012

Quote:
You are confusing that freighter with your sailboat.
No, I'm not.

Quote:
That Chinese guy's Molotov cocktails are not going to topple all over him in the next wave.
again, not everyone is as handicapped with a lack of skill or innovation on dealing with such issues and not all acts of aggression happen on the high seas. I've been sailing for years and I hardly ever spill my beer.

Quote:
Oh, and the railing he is going to duck behind is steel.
I hear that stuff is relatively bullet proof compared to plastic boats.
Actually, the 7.62 round shot by an AK-47 penetrates steel plates as well. This one is 1/4 inch thick. Upper hole on the left is 7.62.

Quote:
Oh, one more thing: If I was a pirate in an over-motorized small boat, with an ak47, I know precisely what I would do if I suddenly was confronted by a fool raising a Molotov cocktail or bucket of fuel (you suggested to splash, right?) over his head; just what every even half-witted human being would do:
Shoot him before he can set me on fire.
Now go back and read my original post where I said:

Quote:
might persuade many offenders to pick another target.
Not every pirate is an AK-47 wielding crook. An example:
Quote:
There has been a lot of violence against cruisers in this hurricane hole over the past year, including the murder of Daniel Drydren on his Southern Cross 39 yacht Sunday's Child. Daniel and his wife Nancy were anchored off Monkey Marina when four robbers armed with machetes and an ice pick swam out to demand money. Dryden was attacked, and died from the ice pick wounds he suffered after confronting the thieves. Despite suffering a punctured lung, his wife Nancy survived. This attack was not isolated, and many other yachts have been attacked and robbed while anchored in the Rio Dulce.
So you stand there in your skiff waiving your machete while you're dripping in gasoline and I'm suggesting you move along while pointing a flare gun at you. No one gets hurt if you're reasonable and leave.

Quote:
Absolutely brilliant de-esclation strategy.
The thread was about alternate weapons other than guns not about de-escalation. Do you have anything to suggest or add, or are you just here to make friends with your wonderful manners?
jrd22 and Bilgewater like this.
La Conner, WA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 02-23-2012

Quote:
So you are the kind of dude who would actually try to spill gas over a ragged fisherman who is looking for a quick buck, to beg some cigarettes, maybe even to snatch an outboard or cell phone if he can.
My line of work requires quick assessments of a situation and then acting in a reasonable and appropriate manner. You don't know me.

Quote:
If you really go around like this, I just hope that you meet the guy with the ak47 with your bucket of fuel, BEFORE I run into a bunch of ragged and poor, but formerly manageable fishermen that have been splashed by your bucket.
I hope neither one of us runs into trouble. You're revealing what kind of a person you are with your statement though. I mean really, what kind of a person hopes someone will run into trouble?
La Conner, WA

Old 02-25-2012

97fxdwg is on a distinguished road
I thought I left this kind of crap behind in that other forum.