SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Bahamas Import Fees

5K views 19 replies 7 participants last post by  sailingdog 
#1 ·
From what I understand, pretty much everything is now subject to import fees and stamp tax into the Bahamas. I'm trying to find out what the fees are so I can figure out what to have the in-laws send and not send. I've found very generic information (i.e. engine parts are subject to 15% and everything else is pretty much 45%) but I can't find any specific information. I'm looking at shipping in LED bulbs, conversion bases for the bulbs, a couple of light fixtures, a camera filter, electrical supplies (butt connectors, etc.), anchor chain and shackles, schoolbooks, movies, gps bracket, a wire stripper and a couple of other items, plus all my mail which includes a few magazines. They were originally supposed to visit us so we had everything shipped to them, and then they had to cancel for various reasons.

Thanks!

Chris

#2 ·
Are you sure about that. IIRC, the equipment coming into the country for a yacht in transit shouldn't be considered imported.

#3 ·
They changed that rule a few months ago (supposedly) according to the Explorer Charts website and Cruiser's Net. Supposedly everything is taxable now, but I can't seem to find any specifics as to what the rates are...

#4 ·
I believe anything not specifically for repair of a yacht in transit has been taxable in the Bahamas. Here's the actual rates:
Bahamas Tariffs, Duties, and Import Taxes

If you DO have repair parts shipped in...the box must have the yacht in transit information on it. Any Bahamas shipping office can point you to what MUST be on the outside of the bos for you not to get socked with duty on repair parts.

Don't forget to add the stamp tax 7% to the import duties.

#5 ·
Thanks... I had found that link, but I know that there are several items that are taxable that aren't on that site. I believe the yacht in transit loophole has gone away too... I'm going to take a run down to the Bimini airport tomorrow to ask the customs officer what the dealio is.

#10 ·
Yeah... I know... I just thought I'd give her a hard time.

I just got back from the airport and talked to customs there. The import fee is basically 45% for everything except for certain items like printed material (7%). I asked if they go by a book, and he said there really isn't one (although I know there is) and they'll look at stuff to see if there's an exception. For used items, declare a value, and they'll go with it if they think it's true, or adjust it upwards if they don't.

I did confirm the boat-in-transit exemption no longer exists. EVERYTHING is now taxed.

#11 ·
Labatt—

That's rather short sighted, since a lot of boats that would have stopped and had repairs, upgrades, etc done there are not going to in the future. I'd guess that the marine business they lose is probably going to cost them more in the long run than the taxes they gain. After all, as the boats decide to go elsewhere, the amount of stuff coming in to supply those repairs and upgrades drops accordingly.

#13 ·
Thanks for the update on the rules Chris. Eliminating the yacht in transit "loophole" really means you need to carry a complete spares kit now.
I don't think it will have much effect on Bahamas marine services as people will still need to fix whatever breaks and the Bahamas was never a great place to do "optional" work. Bummer.

#14 ·
45% is the norm.. some things are even higher. I believe bottled water is 55%, and "fine tobacco" products are over 100%. The Bahama takes around 70% of its budget money from taxes and tariffs. I did forget to ask what the tariff is on boat engine parts. For some reason, 15% is sticking in my head, which is a bit more reasonable. Of course, it's all up to the customs officer who reviews your stuff.

#20 ·
So you're saying you're fast and have a clean bottom... hmmm... :eek::eek: :laugher:laugher:laugher:laugher

#19 ·
But Some Things are Actually Cheaper in the Bahamas

A friend of mine bought an outboard for his dink in the Abacos at less than US prices and I purchased a new autopilot (old one conked) and the price was at or below the usual "semi-discount" price for the unit in the U.S.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.