Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2009

Bellamar is on a distinguished road
Are you people saying that non Americans cannot register boats in the US? So if a Brit millionaire wants to register his giga yacht in Florida, he can't? Why. Let him pay the taxes and support the economy. I'm sure Canadians in BC have boats in the US and have them registered in Washington State.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-01-2009

capttb is on a distinguished road
Bellamar, We are saying "only an US Citizen can DOCUMENT a boat with the Coast Guard, A non-citizen cannot be a majority owner of a documented vessel" . However a wealthy non-citizen can register a boat with ANY state in which he can physically locate the boat and be liable for property taxes in that state. Regardless of documentation or registration all boats are subject to state property taxes in the state they are berthed in.
We don't let nobody escape any taxes we can possibly pin on them.

Last edited by capttb; 04-01-2009 at 02:24 AM.
Old 04-01-2009

celenoglu is on a distinguished road
Most of the boats in mediterranian have a US flag. Due to high taxes, a US company is established in Delaware with foreign ownership and the boat is registered to the firm. If you can do it in Delaware there must be a way to do it in your state also. Check:

Incorporate in Delaware - Delaware Registry, Ltd - Delaware Incorporation servcies for LLC limited liability and general and yacht incorporation. Delaware resident agent services form your company in Delaware.
Old 04-01-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Yes, but these companies have to have majority US Citizen ownership.
Quote:
Originally Posted by celenoglu View Post
Most of the boats in mediterranian have a US flag. Due to high taxes, a US company is established in Delaware with foreign ownership and the boat is registered to the firm. If you can do it in Delaware there must be a way to do it in your state also. Check:

Incorporate in Delaware - Delaware Registry, Ltd - Delaware Incorporation servcies for LLC limited liability and general and yacht incorporation. Delaware resident agent services form your company in Delaware.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-01-2009

Ulladh is on a distinguished road
Only US citizens can get USCG documentation, as SD stated non-US citizens can have part ownership in a US corporation that can then get USCG documentation.
This is the same for most nations, only citizens can register or document their vessels under a national flag.
Registration by individual states is a requirement for keeping a boat within the states waters.
Most states will have a requirement for registration if the boat is in state for more than 60 or 90 days, even if the boat is registered in another state. The owner does not have to live in the same state as the boat is registered.

States will have different sales tax, use tax and registration fees regulations that will usually apply upon that 60 or 90 day limit.

USCG documentation may releive the boat owner from state registration requirements but not tax requirements.
Non-US flaged boats in transit will require a cruising permit and may also be subject to state 60 or 90 day limits.
Old 04-01-2009
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
I find it astounding that in this day and age people don't understand that not all nations are the same, and that a [semi or once]sovereign state is not the same as a nation.

The United States is a Federal Republic consisting of 50 sovereign states, and eleven "insular territories" aka war prizes and other scraps of less than sovereign lands.

Some nations are confederacies, like Canada and Switzerland. Then there's the "United Kingdom" which is not the same as England, either.

Since, in theory, a US-flagged vessel literally "shows the flag" and is entitled to the full protection of the US government, including the use of military force, it only makes sense that non-citizens need not apply. If they want the protection of the US government--they can apply for citizenship here. Your choice, flag it wherever you feel protected.

There is very little federal motor vehicle regulation in the US. There is no federal motor vehicle registration in the US. The only federal ("US") aspect for pleasure craft, is that federal documentation is available to them, if they are at least 51% owned by a US citizen or business. Corporations must follow the same standard, 51% ownership by US citizens or they can't document the vessel here.

This is AFAIK for two limited purposes only:

First, to establish clear and definite title for the highly portable goods, to discourage theft and fraud. That's fairly recent, based on the HIN which has only been required since 1972. Second, federal documentation serves to maintain a database of available vessels and owners for military conscript. That's right, there are many old and disrespected legacies in the laws of all nations, and ours includes provisions to find out where there are boats, so that if we need to pull of a domestic Dunkirk evacuation, or send George Washington's Ghost across the Delaware again, someone will be able to pick the right boats off a handy list. (Filed in a cabinet under "A" for "Armageddon Plans" one hopes.)

The "United Sovereign States of America" is, despite the efforts of many wrong-minded leaders to the contrary, still a federal republic, and by law it is supposed to remain that way. With 50 mainly sovereign states, each with very different laws in them. That way if one or two screw up, we can vote with our feet and move to someplace else that's more reasonable.

But if you want to talk about states-versus-nations...Just look at Germany and Italy, each less than half the age of the US, each built from many competing states. Tell a Sicilian that you're a Florentine about to marry his daughter, and you may have have one heck of a spat on your hands. Italian? Yeah, that's a good one. American? Like apple pie, not one apple.
Old 04-01-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Nicely said HS...

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 04-01-2009
Big Chicken Baby

Mimsy is on a distinguished road
Maritime law was obviously written long before we became such a mobile society. I have no desire to renounce my US citizenship, my husband has no desire to renounce his UK citizenship ( though if Scotland ever declared independence I think he just might).

The US laws regarding property rights for foreign nationals is pretty straight forward. Moveable property becomes a whole other headache. When you factor into the equation that Texas is a community property state it becomes even more confusing. Who owns the boat, Him? Me? Both of us?

We aren't even that concerned with tax implications. What we are concerned with is being able to sail to a foreign country with as few headaches as possible and being able to get reasonable insurance. A state flagged vessel will have problems entering a foreign country. A US flagged vessel with a Captain carrying a British passport will raise eyebrows, as would a British flagged ship in its home port in Texas.

Ugh. I need a concierge service who will sort this all out for us, handle the paperwork and let me get back to my job. This is taking far too much brain power for something that should be relatively straight forward.
Old 04-01-2009
Telstar 28

Actually, if you, your husband, and daughter owned the boat jointly, having you aboard, as the owner of record, and him aboard as the captain of record, then his British papers probably wouldn't be an issue, especially if you have papers proving you're married.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimsy View Post
Maritime law was obviously written long before we became such a mobile society. I have no desire to renounce my US citizenship, my husband has no desire to renounce his UK citizenship ( though if Scotland ever declared independence I think he just might).

The US laws regarding property rights for foreign nationals is pretty straight forward. Moveable property becomes a whole other headache. When you factor into the equation that Texas is a community property state it becomes even more confusing. Who owns the boat, Him? Me? Both of us?

We aren't even that concerned with tax implications. What we are concerned with is being able to sail to a foreign country with as few headaches as possible and being able to get reasonable insurance. A state flagged vessel will have problems entering a foreign country. A US flagged vessel with a Captain carrying a British passport will raise eyebrows, as would a British flagged ship in its home port in Texas.

Ugh. I need a concierge service who will sort this all out for us, handle the paperwork and let me get back to my job. This is taking far too much brain power for something that should be relatively straight forward.

Telstar 28
New England

Old 04-01-2009
Big Chicken Baby

Mimsy is on a distinguished road
Good point SailingDog, now if only the insurance companies would be so reasoned. :/