SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Cruising & Liveaboard Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-liveaboard-forum/)
-   -   Good overnight anchorage near Port of Everett? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-liveaboard-forum/53059-good-overnight-anchorage-near-port-everett.html)

lonnywinn 04-02-2009 08:56 AM

Good overnight anchorage near Port of Everett?

I'm taking my sailboat (27') out for the first time here in the PNW and was wondering if anyone knew of a good protected spot to overnight that is not to far from the Port of Everett.
Thanks!

CharlieCobra 04-02-2009 12:37 PM

That's a bit South of my cruising grounds but I'm sure one of the PNW'ers will chime in. The issue is usually protection from the S, SW and W, depending on the time of year.

artbyjody 04-02-2009 01:11 PM

Oak Harbor would be my suggestion. There you sail out of Everett head north - about a 4 hour sail with decent winds. However - Langley is a shorter distance and is in a protected cove. About 2 - 2/12 hour sail from Port of Everett. Coupedeville is an interesting spot and if I remember correctly where they also host the Whidbey Island Race Week....

Check out Official Whidbey and Camano Islands tourism website. Located in the Pacific Northwest, 25 miles north of Seattle - The Shortest Distance to Far Away for some more ideas, I have merely cruised through on my through Desolation Pass....

blt2ski 04-02-2009 01:29 PM

Are you going to anchor? Then go north. IIRC Camino island state part has mooring bouy's, or you could anchor there. I also recall a spot just as you turn north along the whidbey side. You could go north between camino and the main land.

If you want actual dock moorage, You can come south to Edmonds, or across the water to Kingston, or a bit farther is port ludlow to the west. You can anchor in lulow easy enough too. A bit farther south of Kingston on the north end of bainbridge is Port Madison, lots of anchoring in there. There is also a st park at the NE corner that I recall has mooring bouys too.

Reality is, quite a few spots depending upon the type of weekend you want, ie docked or anchored.

marty

lonnywinn 04-02-2009 03:02 PM

Thanks for the info everyone. So Port Ludlow seems about 4 hours or so away as well?

djodenda 04-02-2009 03:08 PM

Lonny:

Welcome to Sailnet!

While you've just received good advice, I have better advice for you.

The best first trip out of Everett is Langley, on Whidbey Island. It's about 7 NM from you and an easy trip.

Langley has a small marina, where your 27footer will be a "big boat". Moorage is reasonable and there should be plenty of room for you this time of year.

Be careful of your depth at low tide and stay close to the "stockade"

You can anchor to the south of the breakwater at Langley, but, again, watch your depth.

Langley is an interesting town, with shops, restaurants and a movie theater.

I like the Village Pizzeria there.. Be careful how you order. The pizzas are huge. It'll take a while to get one made for you, so be patient, it's worth it.

Be careful heading out of the marina as the waters to the north are shoal and loaded with crab pots.

Don't hesitate to ask if you have questions.

My fellow PNW Sailnetters will be quickly replying and verifying that my advice is better than theirs ;)

David

artbyjody 04-02-2009 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lonnywinn (Post 469983)
Thanks for the info everyone. So Port Ludlow seems about 4 hours or so away as well?

Just about -if you motor and hit it during slack tide yes...word of caution. Don't enter Port Ludlow at night if you are not used to sailing at night or do not have a GPS unit or chartplotter. Can be a bit daunting trying to get in as your focus will also be in avoiding all the boats anchored in the harbor there. Also, be aware there are seaplanes that fly in and take off there. Daytime - easy.

However, wonderful place - secluded if you want peace and quiet. They have a mom / pops type restaurant on the premises next to the marina office. Breakfast is a favorite there. For a first cruise if you are looking for more activities you may want to take David's suggestion.

Port Madison is one of my favorite places to just drop hook (again night time navigation can be a hairy experience). If you have a dingy - there is a a bar / resteraunt at the little marina that is always hopping. Port Madison is not as secluded as Port Ludlow but you'll find yourself in a very friendly area with like minded sailors and does offer some evening entertainment.

Moonfish 04-02-2009 05:33 PM

Langley is a very cool little place...

lonnywinn 04-07-2009 03:05 PM

Oak harbor is alot further than 4 hours away...Try 9.5 (no wind)...Arrived at 11pm at night, not fun navigating that for the first time...

But it was a nice place, trying Langley next time I think :)

djodenda 04-07-2009 03:17 PM

Lonny:

Once you start basing your life on my teachings, you'll go far. ;)

You had a beautiful weekend. We drifted around a bit on Sunday.

See any whales?

David