Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2009
Swab

vega1860 is on a distinguished road
Music to Cruise By

I have been just sitting here on this rainy Seattle afternoon copying C&K, Jimmy Buffet, Cyril Pahinui, Keola and Kapono Beamer, Lawaia, the Pagan Babies, Na Wai Ho'olu'u O ke Anuenue (Bonus points if you can pronounce it), Iz, Kalapana, Hapa and Peter Moon to my computer. Coming up I have Hank Williams (Jr and Sr), Dita Holifield, Patsy Kline, Charlie Daniels, George Strait and Garth Brooks. Do La Fiesta del Mariachi and Hawaiian Slack Key Masters belong on the same play list with Jimi Hendrix?

Just kidding

I have a pretty eclectic collection ranging from Vladimir Horowitz to ZZ Top and I will be happy to get all these CDs (Over 500) off the boat and join the 21st century with an I-Pod.

So I have two questions:

A) Which iPod should I get to accommodate my 6000 plus tracks and still have room to add to my collection?
note: I need this device only for music, nothing else

B) What are your favorite artist/albums/tracks to put the icing on the cruising cake?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by vega1860; 04-02-2009 at 05:19 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-02-2009

Freesail99 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Freesail99
I was just on you tube, and while this is a little lame it does have the words which are almost perfect.

Old 04-02-2009

imagine2frolic is on a distinguished road
vega,

This is for you................

YouTube - Israel Kamakawiwo'Ole Over The Rainbow

This always makes a blue day bright for me........i2f

BORROWED, No single one of us is as smart as all of us!

Old 04-02-2009
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Vega,

Get the LARGEST IPOD.

I have the 1=60 gb (or is it 160??? I don't know... but the big black one). Not only will it hold music, but pics too (though I just use it for music). The larger ones allow you to plug it into power and also listen. I bought Kris the next size down (8 gb??) and we cannot listen and charge.

I know they have some adapters and stuff for this, but that's all I need is another adapter. Also, as for radios, we really do not like the radios that run the ipod. Better to get one that you simply plug the output jack into. I am not expert on this, but on dad's boat (where he got one to plug into and runs the ipod) it is a real pain to use. Who needs the complication (now I am starting to sound like you!!!).

ANyways, I doubt you will fill her up on songs, but you can add movies and other things in there that might make it worth it. The cost difference is not that drastic between them, IMHO. If I could go back, I would certainly have bought her the largest (which I have or was the largest at the time).

Don't forget Bob Marley. He keeps me company. On the country scene, I love Kenny Chesney. Don't know if you enjoy country though.

- Brian

PS SHould we add Ipod to the Philosophies of Cruising? I bet I could make a case for it!!!!

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 04-02-2009
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
By the way, I will admit to being technically ignorant of these types of things (Camaraderie is good at it) so if you hear better advice, consider it. I am just giving you my opinions.

Brian

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 04-02-2009
Banned

eryka is on a distinguished road
We *filled* a 30 GB iPod and recently upgraded our radio/CD player to one that uses a jack-type input direct from the iPod - a double-ended cable that plugs into the headphone output from the iPod at one end, and into the radio on the other end. Then rather than buy an even bigger iPod, we store the rest of our music on a 250 GB external hard drive (a lot cheaper for the space than the ipod, and from time to time we move the music around, take it off the ipod and replace it with stuff from the drive that we haven't heard for a while. The external hard drive is cheaper storage than the ipod) As for types of music, you left out stuff from the islands - calypso, soca, steel pan? My current favorites are X-Plosion and Krosfyah - listen to they lyrics, many have two meanings. (and the second one's invariably raunchy)
Old 04-02-2009

alecs123 is on a distinguished road
I did that very project last week... I have a mp3 player (creative zen) and I cannot find any stereo that manages this device, so I started the search... I came up with a not at all expensive car stereo that allows you to play CDs (the ones you allready own) MP3 CDs (the ones that you can burn you mp3 filies on to) It also has an Aux input for connecting the creative from the earphone jack, and last but not least, an USB input. I have a 16 GB USB memory and you just drop your files there an plug it in. I'm yet to find out, what happens when I plug my USB external hard drive, I suspect the stereo will be able to play from there (not the most practical, but you can have your entire music library playing from the drive). The quality of the sound is better than if you simply plug your player from the earphone jack.
There are fancier stereos that allows you to play mp4, avi, and other video sources, some even come with a little display and a video output, prices for those are about 500 usd
Merit 25, #302. 1982
Flying Tern 14', 1968

Last edited by alecs123; 04-02-2009 at 06:43 PM. Reason: spell
Old 04-02-2009

alecs123 is on a distinguished road
Regarding music, I like most of the 80s, some of the 70s and 90s, clasical from Vivaldi, Beethoven, Mozart, etc. it all depends on the mood and the company
Merit 25, #302. 1982
Flying Tern 14', 1968

Old 04-02-2009
Big Chicken Baby

Mimsy is on a distinguished road
I know you say you only want to store music, but man I love my Ipod Touch. I mostly just store my music on it but its nice to be able to pick up Wifi and check my email when I'm out and about...

I am a sucker for dual purpose items.
Old 04-02-2009

petmac is on a distinguished road
1.) I don't own an Ipod yet.
2.) Hendrix (only when I'm away from everybody and on my own)