Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2009
S/V Pearl Bristol 45.5

SV Pearl is on a distinguished road
Schellenberger's book is a bit dated, and the new release didn't seem to be updated much. We use it for planning.

We like the Chesapeake Bay Magazine's cruising guide - good local info, chartlets etc. and not much advertising like some of the others. Updated annually.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-04-2009

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
One thing to note...

I agree that the Schellenberger's book is a "bible" for the bay, but then the bible is pretty old isn't it I believe that last updated version of Schellenbergers book was 2001???

The Guide to Cruising the Chesapeake Bay, by Chesapeake Bay Magazine has a 2009 updated version. This is not so important for finding great anchorages/locations, but the new versions usually have updated shoaling notes and marina services, which I find useful.

In addition, your supporting a local company, CBM is in Eastport/Annapolis at 1819 Bay Ridge Ave, Annapolis MD 21403

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Photo by Joe McCary

Last edited by T37Chef; 04-04-2009 at 10:09 AM.
Old 04-04-2009
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the responses

Quite a bit of good information for me to digest. Certainly Active Captain looks very useful, especially for areas that I will be passing through rather than staying in. Nothing like local knowledge re things like squalls and bugs. Sounds not unlike Lake Ontario which was my main cruising ground for many years.
Old 04-04-2009
Aeolus II

mccary is on a distinguished road
What resources to use when

Quote:
Originally Posted by T37Chef View Post
I agree that the Schellenberger's book is a "bible" for the bay, but then the bible is pretty old isn't it I believe that last updated version of Schellenbergers book was 2001???
Let's not forget some very important facts relating to cruising The Bay. First, when you look at the most recent chart available you think you are seeing recent sounding data. BUT, with the exception of the main shipping channels on The Bay you may be looking at data that is 75-100 years old! If you look at actual NOAA paper charts they will tell you when the sounding data was taken. It will shock you. Given that, a cruising guide that is dated to 2000 should be just fine.

Lets look at what is critical when cruising. The ship channels are so deep for yachts that we need not worry about them, and the remote creeks and anchorages are fine, we enter them with a depth sounder on we know if we can make it in with ease or need to look elsewhere. Where we need t worry is in the channels like Kent Narrows and Knapps Narrows and Entering Tangier Island and Smith Island. Those channels are important for transiting areas and not knowing if you can make it through and not be able to make that decision based on a chart or guide book is perhaps dangerous.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.