Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2009
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road
Crusing Guide for Chesapeake?

Does anyone have a favourite cruising guide for the Chesapeake? I am looking for one that is really good for identifying anchorages.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-02-2009

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
Chesapeake Bay Magazines, Guide to Cruising Chesapeake Bay

West Marine: 2009 Guide to Cruising Chesapeake Bay Product Display

I will also plug Active Captian: ActiveCaptain - The free, interactive cruising guidebook

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Photo by Joe McCary
Old 04-03-2009

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
We really like The Gunkholers Guide to the Chesapeake. It's in book format, written by a fellow that cruised the bay with his family for many decades and explored virtually every nook. It also covers Delaware Bay up to Philadelphia, I believe.

The Gunkholers Guide has little chart inserts for anchorages, harbors etc, but you need to have real charts to accompany it. We use the ADC Chesapeake chart pack supplemented by a few NOAA charts (and our little Garmin plotter).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 04-03-2009

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road
Also consider Goolge Earth

Quote:
Originally Posted by T37Chef View Post
Chesapeake Bay Magazines, Guide to Cruising Chesapeake Bay

West Marine: 2009 Guide to Cruising Chesapeake Bay Product Display

I will also plug Active Captian: ActiveCaptain - The free, interactive cruising guidebook
Open the chart book and scan down the the shore with Google Erth. The 2 together will show up some interseting possiblities that you may overlook. It also gives a different perspective, pardon the pun. It helps yu combin visual understanding with navigation details.

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

Old 04-03-2009
Banned

eryka is on a distinguished road
If you want to go low-tech and are looking to just buy or borrow a printed book, try Shellenberger's "Cruising Guide to the Chesapeake" - lots of accurate descriptions of anchorages.
Old 04-03-2009
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough
I agree that pouring over charts is a good idea. Mr. Pollard is correct - the bible for Chesapeake cruising is Bill Shellenbergers guide here Amazon.com: Cruising the Chesapeake: A Gunkholer's Guide: William H. Shellenberger: Books

There are all kinds of wonderful places to anchor around the Bay. Best cruising around the US.
Old 04-03-2009

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Killarney,

I saw your other thread where you indicated that you will simply be transitting the Chesapeake enroute to other destinations (Bermuda, etc).

The Gunkholers Guide by Shellenberger that I and others recommend is, as Auspicious put it, "the bible". But now knowing that you will be more of a transient, I will add that it is a fairly expensive hardbound guide.

So, it may not be worth the investment for someone that is just passing through? You might get by with a cheaper chart pack and advice from some of us "locals" here at Sailnet.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 04-03-2009
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough
I concur. If you are just passing through just give your time frame and desires - you'll surely get plenty of help without buying a guide.

The Bay is easy sailing. The only thing tricky at all is fish traps, and even that is only an issue at night.

sail fast,
Old 04-03-2009
Aeolus II

mccary is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVAuspicious View Post
The Bay is easy sailing. The only thing tricky at all is fish traps, and even that is only an issue at night.

sail fast,
I would agree about the book, "Cruising The Chesapeake, A Gunkholer's Guide". That book is the bible for cruising The Bay.

I would add another "tricky" part. That is summer squalls. They can be treacherous. In my 35 years experience sailing on The Bay I have learned that for most times, if you are off the water by 4pm you will be safe. Also, worth noting for the rookie Bay sailor is the bugs. They can turn a pleasant day on the Bay into a nightmare. Get some bug juice, some recommend Skin So Soft and others use something with loads of Deet, take your pick. The Jellyfish get progressively worse after July 4th.

Lastly, make sure you stop in for some Chesapeake Bay crabs, a treat that makes The Bay.
Old 04-03-2009

badsanta is on a distinguished road
Why just pass through. It's much to nice to miss such a great crusing ground. Stay awhile and enjoy it.