SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Cruising & Liveaboard Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-liveaboard-forum/)
-   -   Cuba Travel Restrictions (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-liveaboard-forum/53101-cuba-travel-restrictions.html)

Cruisingdad 04-03-2009 01:21 PM

Cuba Travel Restrictions

They are revisiting the Cuba Travel Restrictions for US Citizens. THis should be interesting as I agree that for the first time in memory, it has a decent chance of passing.

Bill to allow travel to Cuba has a better shot - CNN.com

- CD

Mimsy 04-03-2009 01:29 PM

I hope it passes. I fail to understand why it would be harmful for US citizens to visit or trade with Cuba because they are "evil communists" yet it is ok for a bunch of US companies to move their manufacturing to China. Last time I checked, China was hardly a democracy.

I hope it passes and quickly. Being able to go to Cuba would open up a whole bunch of carribean cruising destinations for us.

jldooley 04-03-2009 02:04 PM

This can be debated ad infinitum.

However, examining the historical example/ business created opinion/ Pepsi & Kentucky fried chicken fell the USSR not, Ray gun and massive defense spending.
If Cuba becomes a US ‘allowed’ vacation spot the current government / political climate will change within 3 years. The all mighty Dollar will do for Democracy, what 10000 years of isolation and white hooded isolationist policy cannot.

G.f.y.s.

Valiente 04-03-2009 05:58 PM

The dollar isn't going to be so almighty if you keep printing it 24/7, but I concur that the way to change the Cuban "system" is to present an alternative face-to-face.

When the Cubans see how the Americans aren't wildly different from the Europeans and Canadians they already see a fair bit of (except for the "being armed" part), they will realize the true worth of the propaganda they've been fed along with the beans and rice for the last 50 years.

JimMcGee 04-04-2009 10:05 AM

Long Overdue

I hope one day to sail from Key West to Cuba. For anyone 40 or over it will be a unique experience. Those under 40 won't really understand why it's a big deal.

Jim

AE28 04-04-2009 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jldooley (Post 470387)
This can be debated ad infinitum.

However, examining the historical example/ business created opinion/ Pepsi & Kentucky fried chicken fell the USSR not, Ray gun and massive defense spending.
If Cuba becomes a US ‘allowed’ vacation spot the current government / political climate will change within 3 years. The all mighty Dollar will do for Democracy, what 10000 years of isolation and white hooded isolationist policy cannot.

G.f.y.s.

Well said!!!

Unfortunately, it seems the only thing politicians and bureaucrats learn from history is NOTHING!!!

bubb2 04-04-2009 12:07 PM

For the under 40 members, a post a made I made a while back. I too would like to sail to Cuba someday! The guy that cuts my hair is Cuban. The last time he visited (a few years ago) he was not allowed to leave for the US until he came up with cash. It extended his trip by 2 extra weeks.

A birthday to remember,

A six grade school boy living in northern Indiana, What does he have to do with Cuba?

Late summer 1962, A car comes to the house with a Western Union Telegram. Mom and Dad go out to the back porch to "talk."

Mom and Dad come back in and say Dad has to go back to the Navy. He was a Capt. Navel reserve at the time and his last command was a destroyer in Korea. He had 48 hours to report. Where you going Dad? I don't know was his response. When are going to be back? I don't know.

Some time later they started talking about Cuba on the old black and white Zenith. That must be where's dad going. Mom why is dad going to Cuba? I don't know was the response.

A few more days go by and the Zenith says there are Missiles in Cuba and they are pointed at us. Mom why do they have missiles pointed at us. I don't know. Mom always had all the answers!!!

That night Grissom Air force base went on alert. Grissom was a SAC base and we lived 10 miles off the end of the runway. B52's, B58's, KC 135's. rolling off the runway Every 1 to 2 minutes. I liked watching the planes. I walked back in the house and I could see that my mom was scared, I had never seen her that way before. Mom, why are you scared? Oh, I don't know was her response.

The Zenith said Navel blockade, now I get it. You go Dad!!! Hey mom, Dad's in Cuba and he going to kick some arse. Don't you talk like that, she said. He's there trying to save us. Save us, what for I said? They have missiles and they are pointed at us. Do they want to kill us MOM? I don't know but they don't like us very much. Why don't they like us MOM. Because they want what we have and they don't now how to earn it. Like my jobs and the money I earned for my new .22 ? Not like that she said, It's about freedom, justice, one man one vote, say what you think and read what you want. For not knowing anything, she had the answers.

Weeks went by and a car pulled up to the house, my Dad stepped out in his dress whites. White, black and gold. Ya, thats my dad. Mom went past me in a flash and out the door and grabbed hold of him and both of them almost went back down the steps. I have never been so proud of my folks.
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->__________________

LarryandSusanMacDonald 04-04-2009 12:24 PM

Bubb 2 - GREAT POST! Touching. And reveals more than even most of us over forty ever really knew.

LarryandSusanMacDonald 04-04-2009 12:26 PM

Does anyone suppose that if we had a concerted effort from Sailnet to our congressmen to support the bill to lift the restrictions on travel to Cuba it would do any good? Or is messing with politics against company policy?

WanderingStar 04-04-2009 12:46 PM

The Cuban people don't need exposure to Americans to realize they want our way of life. Or what's wrong with theirs. They constantly risk their lives at sea to get here. Maybe pumping money into Cuba would bring about change. It hasn't worked with China, or Russia, or Venezuela. They all still opress their people and intimidate their neighbors. We send financial aid to keep North Koreans from starving, and they aren't getting any more civilised. The problem in all of these places isn't the public, it's the totalitarian governments. While we haven't managed to starve the Castro brothers out of business, I prefer not to prop them up.