Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2009
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Cuba Travel Restrictions

They are revisiting the Cuba Travel Restrictions for US Citizens. THis should be interesting as I agree that for the first time in memory, it has a decent chance of passing.

Bill to allow travel to Cuba has a better shot - CNN.com

- CD

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-03-2009
Big Chicken Baby

Mimsy is on a distinguished road
I hope it passes. I fail to understand why it would be harmful for US citizens to visit or trade with Cuba because they are "evil communists" yet it is ok for a bunch of US companies to move their manufacturing to China. Last time I checked, China was hardly a democracy.

I hope it passes and quickly. Being able to go to Cuba would open up a whole bunch of carribean cruising destinations for us.
Old 04-03-2009

jldooley is on a distinguished road
This can be debated ad infinitum.

However, examining the historical example/ business created opinion/ Pepsi & Kentucky fried chicken fell the USSR not, Ray gun and massive defense spending.
If Cuba becomes a US ‘allowed’ vacation spot the current government / political climate will change within 3 years. The all mighty Dollar will do for Democracy, what 10000 years of isolation and white hooded isolationist policy cannot.

G.f.y.s.
Old 04-03-2009

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
The dollar isn't going to be so almighty if you keep printing it 24/7, but I concur that the way to change the Cuban "system" is to present an alternative face-to-face.

When the Cubans see how the Americans aren't wildly different from the Europeans and Canadians they already see a fair bit of (except for the "being armed" part), they will realize the true worth of the propaganda they've been fed along with the beans and rice for the last 50 years.
Old 04-04-2009

JimMcGee is on a distinguished road
Long Overdue

I hope one day to sail from Key West to Cuba. For anyone 40 or over it will be a unique experience. Those under 40 won't really understand why it's a big deal.

Jim

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most" - E.B. White
Old 04-04-2009
NON member

AE28 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jldooley View Post
This can be debated ad infinitum.

However, examining the historical example/ business created opinion/ Pepsi & Kentucky fried chicken fell the USSR not, Ray gun and massive defense spending.
If Cuba becomes a US ‘allowed’ vacation spot the current government / political climate will change within 3 years. The all mighty Dollar will do for Democracy, what 10000 years of isolation and white hooded isolationist policy cannot.

G.f.y.s.
Well said!!!

Unfortunately, it seems the only thing politicians and bureaucrats learn from history is NOTHING!!!
Old 04-04-2009

bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about
For the under 40 members, a post a made I made a while back. I too would like to sail to Cuba someday! The guy that cuts my hair is Cuban. The last time he visited (a few years ago) he was not allowed to leave for the US until he came up with cash. It extended his trip by 2 extra weeks.

A birthday to remember,

A six grade school boy living in northern Indiana, What does he have to do with Cuba?

Late summer 1962, A car comes to the house with a Western Union Telegram. Mom and Dad go out to the back porch to "talk."

Mom and Dad come back in and say Dad has to go back to the Navy. He was a Capt. Navel reserve at the time and his last command was a destroyer in Korea. He had 48 hours to report. Where you going Dad? I don't know was his response. When are going to be back? I don't know.

Some time later they started talking about Cuba on the old black and white Zenith. That must be where's dad going. Mom why is dad going to Cuba? I don't know was the response.

A few more days go by and the Zenith says there are Missiles in Cuba and they are pointed at us. Mom why do they have missiles pointed at us. I don't know. Mom always had all the answers!!!

That night Grissom Air force base went on alert. Grissom was a SAC base and we lived 10 miles off the end of the runway. B52's, B58's, KC 135's. rolling off the runway Every 1 to 2 minutes. I liked watching the planes. I walked back in the house and I could see that my mom was scared, I had never seen her that way before. Mom, why are you scared? Oh, I don't know was her response.

The Zenith said Navel blockade, now I get it. You go Dad!!! Hey mom, Dad's in Cuba and he going to kick some arse. Don't you talk like that, she said. He's there trying to save us. Save us, what for I said? They have missiles and they are pointed at us. Do they want to kill us MOM? I don't know but they don't like us very much. Why don't they like us MOM. Because they want what we have and they don't now how to earn it. Like my jobs and the money I earned for my new .22 ? Not like that she said, It's about freedom, justice, one man one vote, say what you think and read what you want. For not knowing anything, she had the answers.

Weeks went by and a car pulled up to the house, my Dad stepped out in his dress whites. White, black and gold. Ya, thats my dad. Mom went past me in a flash and out the door and grabbed hold of him and both of them almost went back down the steps. I have never been so proud of my folks.

Never Forgotten

Last edited by bubb2; 04-04-2009 at 11:43 AM.
Old 04-04-2009
SaltwaterSuzi/CapnLarry

LarryandSusanMacDonald will become famous soon enough
Bubb 2 - GREAT POST! Touching. And reveals more than even most of us over forty ever really knew.

"A sailboat is a fickle mistress. You’ve got to buy her things. You’ve got to understand everything about her. What you don’t know she’ll use against you." -Captain Larry

Last edited by LarryandSusanMacDonald; 04-04-2009 at 11:27 AM.
Old 04-04-2009
SaltwaterSuzi/CapnLarry

LarryandSusanMacDonald will become famous soon enough
Does anyone suppose that if we had a concerted effort from Sailnet to our congressmen to support the bill to lift the restrictions on travel to Cuba it would do any good? Or is messing with politics against company policy?

"A sailboat is a fickle mistress. You’ve got to buy her things. You’ve got to understand everything about her. What you don’t know she’ll use against you." -Captain Larry

Old 04-04-2009

WanderingStar is on a distinguished road
The Cuban people don't need exposure to Americans to realize they want our way of life. Or what's wrong with theirs. They constantly risk their lives at sea to get here. Maybe pumping money into Cuba would bring about change. It hasn't worked with China, or Russia, or Venezuela. They all still opress their people and intimidate their neighbors. We send financial aid to keep North Koreans from starving, and they aren't getting any more civilised. The problem in all of these places isn't the public, it's the totalitarian governments. While we haven't managed to starve the Castro brothers out of business, I prefer not to prop them up.