SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Cruising & Liveaboard Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-liveaboard-forum/)
-   -   Blue Water Capable Boats (Not a Cat 30, I promise) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-liveaboard-forum/53149-blue-water-capable-boats-not-cat-30-i-promise.html)

Aesir 04-05-2009 07:55 AM

Blue Water Capable Boats (Not a Cat 30, I promise)

I spotted a thread on this forum titled Circumnavigate Catalina 30, which was a great discussion about the capabilities (and maybe more importantly, the limitations) of a Cat 30. I've recently joined a yacht club in Southern California with a fleet of Cat 30's--very nice boats, and the attractive pricing easily leads one to start dreaming of purchasing one for extended voyages. But whenever someone suggests such an idea in forums like these, the responses are always pretty consistent: The Catalina 30 was just not built for offshore passages. If I spent days searching these types of posts, there's always some scattered opinions of suggested alternatives for such an endeavor, but it's usually someone recommending some obscure boat that they've happened to decide is a great offshore cruiser.

Is there any place (any other posts, perhaps) that one could find a list of blue water capable boats in the 30-38 foot range that are designed for the open ocean and limited crew, sometimes single-handed? Is there an equivalent to the Catalina 30 (i.e. mass produced, commonly available, and relatively low cost compared to more custom yachts), that is intended for blue water? The common suggestion to people trying to make ocean passages in a Cat 30 is, "Forget it and buy a boat that was designed for your intended purpose." So what boats would fit the bill?

camaraderie 04-05-2009 09:42 AM

Have you looked at the bluewater boats lists in posts #6 & #8 here?
http://www.sailnet.com/forums/buying...ry-2008-a.html

Lots of what you are looking for listed there.

aa3jy 04-05-2009 01:40 PM

Serious cruisers on serious boats..I'd look here for good info...

The Seven Seas Cruising Association - Home

Regards,

Clay AA3JY
Cabo Rico 34

MoonSailer 04-05-2009 01:43 PM

sailcalculator provides a list of boats with user defined specifications. Capsize ratio and motion comfort are important criteria for me. But mass produced boats are usually coastal cruisers designed for the most beds and the least cost. I met a couple who circumnavigatedin a Pacific Seacraft Orion and they said that they had a great time. Sail Calculator Pro v3.0

Freerider 04-05-2009 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MoonSailer (Post 471108)
sailcalculator provides a list of boats with user defined specifications. Capsize ratio and motion comfort are important criteria for me. But mass produced boats are usually coastal cruisers designed for the most beds and the least cost. I met a couple who circumnavigatedin a Pacific Seacraft Orion and they said that they had a great time. Sail Calculator Pro v3.0

Great link, I've been looking for something like that for a while. I guess all I had to do was ask.

Aesir 04-06-2009 02:37 PM

Thanks for all the quick responses. Definitely some good info.

Incidentally, I just ordered a copy of "Seaworthy Offshore Sailboat: A Guide to Essential Features, Handling, and Gear" by John Vigor. So hopefully there's some decent information in there as well.

sailingdog 04-06-2009 03:28 PM

You might also want to look at James Baldwin's Boat list of pocket bluewater boats. While most are smaller than you're looking at, there are a lot of good boats on the list.

flashingbrine 04-06-2009 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aesir (Post 471603)
Thanks for all the quick responses. Definitely some good info.

Incidentally, I just ordered a copy of "Seaworthy Offshore Sailboat: A Guide to Essential Features, Handling, and Gear" by John Vigor. So hopefully there's some decent information in there as well.

This is a *great* book, and you should find it very helpful. Vigor also wrote a book titled something along the lines of Twenty Small Boats to Take you Anywhere that describes 20 bluewater boats up to around 32' or so. The list is, of course, not a definitive one, but it would give you a good idea of what features to look for.

davidpm 04-06-2009 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sailingdog (Post 471646)
You might also want to look at James Baldwin's Boat list of pocket bluewater boats. While most are smaller than you're looking at, there are a lot of good boats on the list.

I couldn't get the above link to work for me but adding the www did the trick.
Atom Voyages | Voyages Aboard the Sailboat Atom -* Good Old Boats List - choosing a* small voyaging sailboat

TQA 04-06-2009 10:30 PM

Would I sail an 18 footer built of 1/4 inch plyaround the world - NO - but Shane Acton did. Get the book he wrote called "SHRIMPY".

It is a great read! and reassuring when you have worries about your boat size.