Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2009

Aesir is on a distinguished road
Question Blue Water Capable Boats (Not a Cat 30, I promise)

I spotted a thread on this forum titled Circumnavigate Catalina 30, which was a great discussion about the capabilities (and maybe more importantly, the limitations) of a Cat 30. I've recently joined a yacht club in Southern California with a fleet of Cat 30's--very nice boats, and the attractive pricing easily leads one to start dreaming of purchasing one for extended voyages. But whenever someone suggests such an idea in forums like these, the responses are always pretty consistent: The Catalina 30 was just not built for offshore passages. If I spent days searching these types of posts, there's always some scattered opinions of suggested alternatives for such an endeavor, but it's usually someone recommending some obscure boat that they've happened to decide is a great offshore cruiser.

Is there any place (any other posts, perhaps) that one could find a list of blue water capable boats in the 30-38 foot range that are designed for the open ocean and limited crew, sometimes single-handed? Is there an equivalent to the Catalina 30 (i.e. mass produced, commonly available, and relatively low cost compared to more custom yachts), that is intended for blue water? The common suggestion to people trying to make ocean passages in a Cat 30 is, "Forget it and buy a boat that was designed for your intended purpose." So what boats would fit the bill?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-05-2009
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Have you looked at the bluewater boats lists in posts #6 & #8 here?
http://www.sailnet.com/forums/buying...ry-2008-a.html

Lots of what you are looking for listed there.
Old 04-05-2009

aa3jy is on a distinguished road
Serious cruisers on serious boats..I'd look here for good info...

The Seven Seas Cruising Association - Home

Regards,

Clay AA3JY
Cabo Rico 34
Old 04-05-2009

MoonSailer is on a distinguished road
sailcalculator provides a list of boats with user defined specifications. Capsize ratio and motion comfort are important criteria for me. But mass produced boats are usually coastal cruisers designed for the most beds and the least cost. I met a couple who circumnavigatedin a Pacific Seacraft Orion and they said that they had a great time. Sail Calculator Pro v3.0
Old 04-05-2009

Freerider is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonSailer View Post
sailcalculator provides a list of boats with user defined specifications. Capsize ratio and motion comfort are important criteria for me. But mass produced boats are usually coastal cruisers designed for the most beds and the least cost. I met a couple who circumnavigatedin a Pacific Seacraft Orion and they said that they had a great time. Sail Calculator Pro v3.0
Great link, I've been looking for something like that for a while. I guess all I had to do was ask.
Old 04-06-2009

Aesir is on a distinguished road
Thanks for all the quick responses. Definitely some good info.

Incidentally, I just ordered a copy of "Seaworthy Offshore Sailboat: A Guide to Essential Features, Handling, and Gear" by John Vigor. So hopefully there's some decent information in there as well.
Old 04-06-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
You might also want to look at James Baldwin's Boat list of pocket bluewater boats. While most are smaller than you're looking at, there are a lot of good boats on the list.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-06-2009

flashingbrine is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aesir View Post
Thanks for all the quick responses. Definitely some good info.

Incidentally, I just ordered a copy of "Seaworthy Offshore Sailboat: A Guide to Essential Features, Handling, and Gear" by John Vigor. So hopefully there's some decent information in there as well.
This is a *great* book, and you should find it very helpful. Vigor also wrote a book titled something along the lines of Twenty Small Boats to Take you Anywhere that describes 20 bluewater boats up to around 32' or so. The list is, of course, not a definitive one, but it would give you a good idea of what features to look for.
Old 04-06-2009

davidpm is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
You might also want to look at James Baldwin's Boat list of pocket bluewater boats. While most are smaller than you're looking at, there are a lot of good boats on the list.

I couldn't get the above link to work for me but adding the www did the trick.
Atom Voyages | Voyages Aboard the Sailboat Atom -* Good Old Boats List - choosing a* small voyaging sailboat
Old 04-06-2009
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road
Would I sail an 18 footer built of 1/4 inch plyaround the world - NO - but Shane Acton did. Get the book he wrote called "SHRIMPY".

It is a great read! and reassuring when you have worries about your boat size.