Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree93Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2009

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Stan,

I'm not positive I read it here, but more than likely elsewhere re the door issue. But I do recall you or someone mentioning the sliders on NC, now that you mention it in relation to the cat B vs A.

All of these things that someone says we need or not, I feel need to be weighed as to what and where we will go. Trying to cross oceans in the non hurricane season you can get away with things vs if you try to sail/cross an ocean during hurricane season or if you go to the roaring 40's/50's either north or south towards the poles. Or extreme cold like the couple with the Oyster 72 article in this months CW that came to my door about a week ago.

Anyway, as long as folks realize, there is good and bad in ALL boats, that is a good thing.

I2f,
I am sure we've all touched, or if we have not, it is when, not if! heck, I've even touched in my canoe and old kayak accidently, and on purpose on a few occasions! what do those draw? 4-6" Hence my comments that these draft needs do not always hold water. Air draft would worry me more in the ICW than staying under 6' as an example! But, I am probably now showing either my ignorance of the area, not having been there, or what really worry's me vs what does not, which I am sure what worry's me, does not make someone else worry!

Marty
Old 04-22-2009

PCP777 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keldee View Post
Stainless goblets can be bought at West Marine

I'm so in, getting some today, I hate the plastic as well.
1979 TR/FK #1390
~Stephanos~
Bayview Marina,
Lake Ray Hubbard
Dallas, TX

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-22-2009

NCC320 is on a distinguished road
ICW depth...perhaps others are more qualified to answer whether 6'4" is suitable. I read in the past year, in magazines and newspapers ,that certain parts of the ICW in the Carolinas are shoaling up, and in some spots, finding 5' is difficult...one report had charter fishing boats running miles out of their way to get to the ocean because of shoaling. If you are going to be in NC waters much (outside the ICW), then even 5 ft. draft is going to limit some of your movements...at 4'11", I plowed the marina fairway and creek to get to open water two weeks ago, because a west wind had dropped the normal water level about 1 ft. below normal. (Fortunately the bottom on the creek is soft).

While I agree with Stan regarding preferring the NC331 over a C320 for storms in the north Atlantic (if for no other reason, it'll be warmer and dry with the inside steering station over the C320 open cockpit), the people who determine what makes a Cat A, B, C rating probably have it right. Sliding doors, unless heavily constructed to guard against it, are more likely to get ripped off than smaller hatches with drop boards, and then, no matter how well the boat is built, it is subject to flooding in a storm with breaking waves.
Old 04-23-2009

MovementSailing is on a distinguished road
give me a jenneau 40, 45, or 56 and i'll go to windward in 50 kts. By far the best production boat around. In fact, if i were to go single handed around the world, i'd choose none other than a sun oddysey 45
Old 04-24-2009

twinsdad is on a distinguished road
Speaking of boats. Any suggestions as to websites to list my boat for sale?
Old 04-24-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Someone drank the French Kool-Aid....

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovementSailing View Post
give me a jenneau 40, 45, or 56 and i'll go to windward in 50 kts. By far the best production boat around. In fact, if i were to go single handed around the world, i'd choose none other than a sun oddysey 45

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-24-2009

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
So SD,
WHAT IS wrong with a Jeanneau? I know of one locally that spent 2 yrs wondering around the pacific, with a couple and there two daughters. ANother about 2 yrs ago did a non stop circumnavigation! IIRC that one was 20 yrs old or there abouts. The new SF3200 was designed as an ocean going single/double hander, and there were 16 or there about at last years transquandra race. The designer has one for his own. FIRST boat he has designed as a production model that he bought for him self!

They make good boats for there use! On par with ANY of the newer production built boats frankly.
Old 04-24-2009

Danny33 is on a distinguished road
Doooh !!!
Old 04-24-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I think there are better production boats, like Hallberg Rassy, for a bluewater trip... Better build quality IMHO too.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-24-2009
sv Mary T Pearson P35

sailingmum is on a distinguished road
Smile Twice the price ?

aren't Halberg Rassy twice the price ? unfortunately, this is not a issue with me as i'm in lower budget arena, but definitely interesting chat, just in case I get lucky ....lol...
2013 Summer Deale MD Chesapeake