Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree343Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2009

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Mum,

At least twice the price for an equal sized boat! There is something to be said for the base boats, ie catalina, Beneteau, Jeanneau, Hunter, Bavaria among others, Affordible and they will go offshore. Now they may not like going around the Horn on a bad day, a good day maybe..........But they are well built for what they are!

On the other hand, if HR's are so good, Why is Dog sailing a boat with training hulls? I would bet that boat is not as well built as an HR either? granted it is faster, but still. Probably built on par with Jeanneaus too!
Old 04-25-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
If I were going to spend that kind of money on a boat, I'd get a custom Chris White design more likely than not.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-26-2009

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
Guys, guys...what have we already established? A great sailor can (and has in the past) taken a freakin' raft made out of pop bottles across the Pacific, so it's not so much the boat as the sailor.

I personally will 'fess up that I got a steel cutter for world cruising because I KNOW my level of experience won't support either a well-equipped but "light-ish" production cruiser, and my budget won't support a true performance cruiser of the Swan/Moody/OVNI class.

In other words, I got a tough steel boot to compensate for the fact I haven't done more than 10 years' of sailing.

If I make one bad-incident-free circ, maybe I'd make another in a faster, or even a production boat. Presumably, my level of experience (and not the inherent qualities of the boats involved) would merit a review of the appropriate vessel.

But if I hit the first reef I see off the Marquesas, steel and a big prop will give me a better chance of survival than a plastic boat designed to reel off 240 NM days.

Thank goodness I don't plan on being in a rush.

To sum: an ocean-rated 40-50 footer is going to be less boat in some respects than mine, and more boat in others. My advantages lie primarily in "forgiveness", which is a hint to the whole thread.
Old 04-26-2009
sv Mary T Pearson P35

sailingmum is on a distinguished road
Just about died !

I don't know whether to thank you or curse you, turning me on to Chris White.
I'd love just to see one on the docks and especially under sail.
I never knew about these vessels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
If I were going to spend that kind of money on a boat, I'd get a custom Chris White design more likely than not.
2013 Summer Deale MD Chesapeake
Old 04-26-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
LOL... he's a local to my sailing area... And you're very welcome... the dark side of the force is very seductive...

Here's a photo of one of his Hammerhead 54 trimarans under sail.

What do you think of her??

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingmum View Post
I don't know whether to thank you or curse you, turning me on to Chris White.
I'd love just to see one on the docks and especially under sail.
I never knew about these vessels.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 04-26-2009

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
Who wouldn't like that?

Boat taste is like car taste. Someone told me that the Pontiac marque was being dropped by GM in the latest attempts to bail faster, and my reply was "Good. They aborted the Pontiac Aztek upon the face of the earth, and someone must pay. Let there be a heap of skulls before the Detroit headquarters!"

I have actually seen people in the street spot an Aztek and mutter "what the hell is wrong with that car? Wait, is it a car...why is it yellow...eeeewwww..."

That's the feeling I get from terrible boat design. The tri above is the opposite of that.
Old 04-26-2009
Telstar 28

The Aztek was one of the most hideous production vehicles I've ever seen...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valiente View Post
Who wouldn't like that?

Boat taste is like car taste. Someone told me that the Pontiac marque was being dropped by GM in the latest attempts to bail faster, and my reply was "Good. They aborted the Pontiac Aztek upon the face of the earth, and someone must pay. Let there be a heap of skulls before the Detroit headquarters!"

I have actually seen people in the street spot an Aztek and mutter "what the hell is wrong with that car? Wait, is it a car...why is it yellow...eeeewwww..."

That's the feeling I get from terrible boat design. The tri above is the opposite of that.

Telstar 28
New England

Old 04-29-2009

graemefromdownunder is on a distinguished road
I am a definite newby to this forum and this question is right where my thoughts are right now. We are planning to sail to Australia via the Panama Canal (from the Med). Once we reach the Whitsundays we will be settling down and our boat will then double up as a skippered charter. I have been looking at the Beneteau 50 but am getting lots of mixed messages. I notice that the Beneteau boats have regularly done well on the ARC and when I look at boats for sale in Aus quite a number have been circumnavigated with the boats and owners still in one piece. Yet none of the "production" boats are in this years list of recommended cruisers. Can someone tell me the downsides of this boat? We will be travelling myself, my wife and one child. Thanks for any comments.
Old 04-29-2009

St Anna is on a distinguished road
Gooday Graeme,
I am very biased but; have a look at the hull design - bolt on keel, chassis with hull glued on perhaps...Does the rig need regular tightening??

Then look at the hull shape - greater beam aft of the CLR as well as CE behind or about the CLR. Therefore downwind she might wish for her rear to race past her bow.

Then again, there are thousands of these bendy toys around. Cant be all bad. Will be great for the Whitsunday market.
Old 04-29-2009
Telstar 28

Umm... A 50' boat might be a bit of a handful for a couple with child...depending on the age of the child and such. When you're cruising as a couple—with or without child—you're generally two people singlehanding the same boat at different times. If the child is older, say 12+ YO, then that changes the equation slightly.

However, I strongly feel that any boat you get has to be capable of being handled singlehandedly by the weakest adult crew member that will normally be aboard her. There will be times, especially if you have a younger child, that the other person will not be available to help do things like reef the sails when it needs to be done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by graemefromdownunder View Post
I am a definite newby to this forum and this question is right where my thoughts are right now. We are planning to sail to Australia via the Panama Canal (from the Med). Once we reach the Whitsundays we will be settling down and our boat will then double up as a skippered charter. I have been looking at the Beneteau 50 but am getting lots of mixed messages. I notice that the Beneteau boats have regularly done well on the ARC and when I look at boats for sale in Aus quite a number have been circumnavigated with the boats and owners still in one piece. Yet none of the "production" boats are in this years list of recommended cruisers. Can someone tell me the downsides of this boat? We will be travelling myself, my wife and one child. Thanks for any comments.

Telstar 28
New England

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.