Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree348Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2009
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Yeah, I guess the problem with the older Firsts is that they been raced to hell and back.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 11-19-2009

whigmaleerie is on a distinguished road
westerlys especialy typhoon thats a good boat
Old 11-19-2009

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Jeff,

I have not been on a Ben from the 80's, but do own an 85 J Arcadia, and frankly, few if any here in the puget sound area will bash the design/build quality of "my" boat, or the Attalia's, sunshine's of the same era. I will not say they are perfect, I and most others have had to deal with the foam backed hull liner falling off, I believe you have said something to this effect i the past too. Altho some of the US manufactures have had the same issue from that era too. Not sure I would say it was a "French" built boat issue.

The only new boat from jeanneau in the last 3-5 yrs "I" really like is the sunfast 3200. Altho a first 36.7 would fit my needs quite well, or an older Sun Fast 35.......but we digress?!?!?!? a mid 30'ish foot boat with those design spec type perameters. Dehler 34R, X34 or 35, summit 35 to name a few that would work for "MY" needs etc. Granted there are some build quality differences.......if money were there, an SC37...............
Old 11-19-2009

whigmaleerie is on a distinguished road
Dehler 34R that a good boat, What about a starlight 35??
Old 11-19-2009
SouthernComfort

Hillster is on a distinguished road
I noticed that nobody is mentioning the Calibers such as the 40LRC. Watertight colision bulkheads, stringer built rather than pan liners, and great tankage. Is there a flaw in these boats that rank them below Valiants and Pacific Seacraft?

I do own an O'day 322 and although I beleive her to be designed as a coastal boat (shallow bilge, small fuel tankage), she is easily as strong as a Jeaunneau of the same era. The bulkheads are tabbed to the hull sides and screwed to the grooves in the deck and pan liner (only 1/2" thick ply though). The hull deck joint is thru bolted on 6" centers shoebox style downward flange. Cockpit drains are big (1 1/2" dia.). Water tankage is 60 gal in two tanks, which is pretty good for this size fin keel boat.
Old 11-19-2009

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by whigmaleerie View Post
Dehler 34R that a good boat, What about a starlight 35??
I personally do not know anything, nor heard of a starlight 35. If it is more of a cruiser, then I do not personally look at specs. Like the caliber mentioned. The Caliber's from what I know are great boats for there style, but I look more at race/cruise to fast cruise/race style boats. I'll also look at a slower race boat, if it has some sort of interior. Mumms/melges type sleds are not in my cards.

Dehler generally speaking has built good boats. But did the equal to a German BK here awhile back, Hanse has taken over. So I would not personally want to quote the how good etc some of the newest dehlers would be built.

O'days, Jeannea, Ranger, Cal to name a few were all part of Bangor Punta back in the 80's, Oday built a few Jeanneau designs, as did Cal. They should all generally speaking be of similar quality, Altho from what I understand, Jeanneau of the bunch I mentioned, was the upper priced boat, have assumed to be the nicer of them. This is not to say that all 4 brands were bad boats, look at GM of old, Chevy, ponitac, olds, Cadallac all different price point vehicles. Similar to Beneteau, Jeanneau and up to a few yrs ago Waiquiez. Same owner, different price points and designs.

Marty
Old 11-19-2009

sck5 is on a distinguished road
I have a caliber 33 which is basically a scaled down version of the 40 in terms of hull form, keel, skeg, etc. A great boat to cruise in. Not a race boat but no pig either. I have sailed in IP's of the same approximate size and there is no comparison - calibers are faster and far more maneuverable. Build quality is excellent. They are production boats but are not built with liners. Everything is well tabbed and mechanically fastened. I would take this boat anywhere.
Old 11-19-2009

mintcakekeith is on a distinguished road
im not realy qualified to comment on this topic but I was moored in Palma a few years ago in my old tired seawolf and the owner of a new 44ft benetau alongside commented that his boat was for show ,mine was a proper little ship. K
Chimbatete likes this.
Old 11-19-2009

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
Marty
Here's a link to the Starlight 35. Starlight 35 archive details - Yachtsnet Ltd. online UK yacht brokers - yacht brokerage and boat sales
Complete descripton - British boat designed by Stephen Jones.
Brian
Old 11-19-2009
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
So how would you guys divide production boats into general "quality/capability tiers"?

Would it be something like this:

1. Lake/Bay Boats
-O'day
-Macgregor
-Lancer
-Yorktown

2. Coastal Boats
-Catalina
-Hunter
-Beneteau
-Jenneau
-Irwin
-Cal

3. Premium Coastal (Light Blue Water Capable)
-IP
-Caliber
-Ericson
-C&C
-Tartan
-Dehler
-Endeavour
-Gulfstar
-Morgan
-Cheoy Lee
-Pearson

4. Non-Production/High End Blue Water
-Tayana
-Hinckley
-Cabo Rico
-Oyster
-etc.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40

Last edited by smackdaddy; 11-19-2009 at 10:30 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.