Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree343Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2012
Banned

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road
One of my 36 footers is cruising down there at the moment. He said most of the working boats down there spend a good part of most tides dried out, so his twin keels are a huge advantage. With a series drogue over the stern, he had no problem with one of the worst storms to hit Valdiva in a while. He was at sea at the time, approaching Valdiva. He said she rolled a bit when the wind eased off. I find running the drogue off the quarter, instead of centred by a bridle ,lets the wind pressure on the rig take some of the roll out of her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-23-2012
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by sea_hunter View Post
You're way too serious.
Heh-heh. Yeah I get that a lot.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 02-05-2012
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Hunters are now officially atop the bluewater boat list. In fact, that list has now been completely redefined to include most modern "production boats". Why?

2007 Hunter 49, Sequitur, rounds Cape Horn skippered by Michael and his lady Edi. Respect.

Sequitur Rounds Cape Horn

"Limits"? I don't think so.

'Nuff said.

Last edited by smackdaddy; 02-05-2012 at 06:16 PM.
Old 02-05-2012
Senior Cruiser

sea_hunter is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Hunters are now officially atop the bluewater boat list. In fact, that list has now been completely redefined to include most modern "production boats". Why?
"Limits"? I don't think so. 'Nuff said.
Hmm, yeah no, Hunter's are not on the top of the list.
Daredevils of Niagara Falls
Sometimes you win, sometimes you loose and Bob's your uncle. But on a different note; great sailing.
Old 02-05-2012
Randy Hines

randyrhines is on a distinguished road
Quote:

2007 Hunter 49, Sequitur, rounds Cape Horn skippered by Michael and his lady Edi. Respect.

Sequitur Rounds Cape Horn

'Nuff said.
Was it the very best day of the year???

Hunter round the Horn, Was it a very very good day, I think my Allied princess 36, would do it but i dont think i have the expirience being a great lakes sailor to do it

Where can i find a copy of the list the Hunters are the top of? My Catalina 27' must be on that list as well........, yes i have 2 boats.......just bought an Allied Princess 36' this year, the fully restored re-powered Catalina 27' is going on the market, as an offshore cruiser to compete with the Hunters, lol just good camaraderie sailors , no offence meant!

Last edited by Faster; 02-05-2012 at 08:24 PM. Reason: merged sequential posts
Old 02-06-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough
Well, this guy is approaching the horn on a Delphia 40ft:

Lokalizacja | Around The World Delphia Project

and he is going to make it, on a Polish 40ft, alone on his non stop circumnavigation on a mass production boat.

My Sailing: Tomasz Cichoki approaches Cape Town on solo circumnavigation

With the right weather window any experienced sailor can do it safely on a 40ft boat.

These guys have done that and more in a 3 days sail around the Horn and the Beagle (450nm) on an open 20ft light cat (with 50K winds).

Trois jours autour du Horn en cata de sport !

Ok, these guys are not only experienced by really good sailors
Old 02-06-2012
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road
Quote:

'Nuff said.
I read Sequitur's blog as they are sort of in the cruising area we plan to visit. He writes that the Hunter being used was beefed up at the factory before they took delivery and provides the details. So, does that still count if it's not the "standard" off-the-shelf production boat?

Our short list of offshore boats contains five traditional offshore-capable boats and one from the Catalina Ocean Series that keeps blinking on and off the bottom of the list. After this blog post it's back on, but I'm still not 100% sure. On the other hand the factory offers some options that will tip the scales more towards offshore capability.

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 02-06-2012

neverknow is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRFerron View Post
He writes that the Hunter being used was beefed up at the factory before they took delivery and provides the details. So, does that still count if it's not the "standard" off-the-shelf production boat?
This is not much difference than any older boat that has had a refit. Many, if not all, older boats have the benefit of exp that allows ppl to have identified a weakness in a boat model. So when it's time to upgrade them owners know what needs/should be done.
Old 02-06-2012
Last Man Standing

Quote:
I read Sequitur's blog as they are sort of in the cruising area we plan to visit. He writes that the Hunter being used was beefed up at the factory before they took delivery and provides the details. So, does that still count if it's not the "standard" off-the-shelf production boat?

Our short list of offshore boats contains five traditional offshore-capable boats and one from the Catalina Ocean Series that keeps blinking on and off the bottom of the list. After this blog post it's back on, but I'm still not 100% sure. On the other hand the factory offers some options that will tip the scales more towards offshore capability.
Here is Michael's very good explanation of "why a Hunter"...

Quote:
When I told my brother Peter that I had ordered a new Hunter 49, his first response was "why didn't you buy a real boat?".
Conception

And here's the list of upgrades:

Gestation

From that list, I don't see much in the way of structurally turning the Hunter into a Cabo Rico. Apart from the non-standard cutter rig, it's mostly equipment upgrades and additions.

So, I'd say it's pretty much off-the-shelf in terms of being a Hunter - it's just very, very well equipped...by a very, very good seaman.

Old 02-06-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough
Quote:

Can you point the link for that factory beef up? I can only see options, not really nothing out of the ordinary:

Conception

Gestation

Regards

Paulo

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.