Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree64Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2012
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
An F10 storm in the Southern Ocean...in a Hunter? No problem.

Quote:
I set-up a plot on the iPad to track our drift, and we laid down on the main salon couches to relax and watch the storm happen.

The port sidelight in the salon was looking bottom-ward a few times as breakers hit our starboard beam. Overhead, through the skylights and hatches we watched as great depths of green water sluiced over the decks. We remained dressed, with boots on and covered ourselves with duvets and napped.
Check out Sequitur.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40

Last edited by smackdaddy; 02-16-2012 at 12:12 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-17-2012
Multiman

mdi is on a distinguished road
Could not get the page to load on the Check Out link

Old 03-05-2012
sunfish?junior?

Lou452 is on a distinguished road
Re: Production Boats and the Limits

I was hoping to see more names or a type of boat in this area I have a lot of years to pick my type of boat and sailing and I need to learn a lot. Good debate with out bashing or trash talking is helpful. but I do have a lot more pages to read so I should do this before I speak....
Old 03-13-2012

nealalex is on a distinguished road

I raced on a first 42 - the seats made great beds - and you could lash people into them in heavy weather - newer boats have fancier interiors but not purposeful one

I have always been a sloop and bendy rig, but considering ketch - beneteau has some way older ketches. Hope they make one some day, with a dual helm and a beaver tail fin and dual rudder

check out the 8 meter ocean raceres - mini transat
Old 03-23-2012

larrybme is on a distinguished road

I am now 10yrs into a 5 year plan of land dwelling to acquire the means to sail off forever. I am no better off than 5 years ago. Always something or some distraction. I hope to be at sea cruising the west coast of Mex again. I have spent many hours a week researching boats I can afford. I guess it is, as was from the beginning, a mid to late 80's vintage Catalina 36. As for issues with these, you will not find any sailboat of this vintage without issues and upgrades to contend with, at any price. For resale and ease of single handing, moorage and marina and haulout expense and sailing qualities and comfortable living space, the Catalina 36, IMHO, can not be beat for under 50k.
Blue water or offshore capabilities? The strongest winds, and roughest seas are encounered near shore. Most boats sink in marinas, so keep out of marinas. My aspirations are the west coast of US and Mex and the south pacific. The northern and southern latitudes are for someone else, not I. I don't want to have to have heaters, mittens and subzero foulies. I hope to remain in 80 80 land.
I am tired of waiting for the right time, the right amount in the bank, the right mate, or to continue second guessing my vessel choice. If I spend a second summer in Kansas, just take me out and shoot me. I fear drowning or dieing at sea, I fear more being taken out by a auto accident or health problem even more. My doctor told me I was going to die some time between tomorrow and the next forty years, now, choose where and how to live until then. I am 56.
Now you have my 2 cents worth, and I have another post.
Oh, btw, where do you find the little smiley faces for these posts. ;-)
utchuckd and s/v AbbeyGale like this.
Old 03-24-2012

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough

Right beside the box you type the post in.
Old 04-12-2012
Whipjack

s/v AbbeyGale is on a distinguished road

Good points, but any boat in the middle of an ocean is a bluewater boat............. seen lots of ferro boats in pretty remote places.... just read a blog of a swede in a 27 foot old glass with an outboard went everywhere, due to my incompetence i need to (for example bad drivers should drive super safe cars) My al/ Koopmans is undoubtabley an offshore boat, that being said it is hard to day sail-race cutter rigged, narrow slot is a bugger in light wind, small cockpit not good for socializing, lots of lines, everything has a purpose, priority for me is 1)durability 2)functionality 3) Safety 4)confort 5) appearance (But all koopmans are beautiful). Examples: big cleats, mast pulpit, the interior is tight grab rails every where, companionway is small, you fill the tanks from the interior, in short it is a piece of machinery, massive deck hardware, my stem head fitting has more metal than all the chainplates on a c36, my chain plates which arn't visible are massive 3-4 sq feet of 1/4, there is no shower, big refrigerator/deep freeze heavey big lifts hard its an investment to grab a beer. At the dock it gets allot of attention its really neat, we all dream of going in one direction and coming back in the other, BUT the reality a catalina 36 is far more what U.S. consumers are looking for les commitment to leave the dock,

Last edited by s/v AbbeyGale; 04-12-2012 at 10:37 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 04-12-2012
Whipjack

s/v AbbeyGale is on a distinguished road

Good post, bots dont randomly sink, just make sure everything you put on it is durable.
Old 04-13-2012

I have tried to post. Both times failed. I am tired and going to bed. Never had this problem at the other site.
Old 04-13-2012

Ok, maybe it was the length of the reply.