Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree343Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Re: Production Boats and the Limits

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucklesR View Post
Smacky,
Take ownership dude, you typed it, it's yours
I've eyeballed Gulfstars, Pearsons, Endeavors, and of course Irwins in my whirlwind tour of mid 80's cruisers before settling on my Irwin as the apex of the price/boat curve (that week, of the samples I saw).

In my un-informed, un-trained, but well read and very observant mind all of this 'class' of boats they generally are built to the same scantlings, thickness of hull, backing plates - all that stuff.
Year of build matters because all of the yards ran into money troubles and tried to cut corners at one point or another. None of them shut down production at the height of quality.
My major difference:
The gulfstar and the pearsons both used particle board for the furniture - and open edged particle board at that.
At the boat show last week I saw IP's with deck pulls in the sole - open edged plywood (not trimmed with teak). Granted you can't see it until you pull the access up.
My Irwin has even those edges trimmed in.
If you go there, where else is it fugly?
Good point. Now that I own my pimpin' Hunter 40, I'm crawling through every nook and cranny to see what's what. Holy crap do I have a lot to learn about this yacht! But, honestly, thus far it seems to be very well put together in terms of the items you list above.

The only truly crap item I've come across thus far are the counter tops for the shelves in the cabins. Particle board - which has absorbed moisture from condensation on the sidewalls with predictable results. That said, I LOVE the aft cabin. The boys and I just spend the weekend on her and it was seriously awesome! I'm all about the centerline queen.

Yes, we're in love...but I'm in a panic trying to learn everything I can about diesel generators and engines, batteries and electrical components, and instruments.

Sigh.

I'll do a write up soon about "How We Got to Hunter" - detailing everything I read/heard on forums about what to look for in a "real boat" - and why I ignored a lot of it.
jameswilson29 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40

Last edited by smackdaddy; 06-10-2013 at 01:52 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-06-2013
just ducky

Don0190 is on a distinguished road
Production Boats and the Limits

Pretty late, but welcome to the dark side Smack
Old 10-06-2013

benesailor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I'll do a write up soon about "How We Got to Hunter" - detailing everything I read/heard on forums about what to look for in a "real boat" - and why I ignored a lot of it.
smackdaddy

I look forward to your story on your pick and why a Hunter.

I have conversations in my marina all the time about why i have Beneteau VS a older "is better" vintage sailboat. I'm a firm believer that french boats are better engineered and better built than most boats of similar vintage. Once people get over the anti-french mentality and i show them the engineering principles involved VS some of the older ideas they start to grasp some things are truly better. The french builders have years and years of experience building boats and the money at there disposal for research.

I'm not saying that the Beneteau is a "best built" voyager. I can think of many newer boats that are better built. (In other countries as well) I am curious though how you came to the conclusion to by a Hunter besides price.
I have gone over the new Hunter 40 extensively and have found it to be years behind the rest of the production boats currently being fielded. (engineering wise) That being said i don't know how yours was built; good or bad.
I think most production boats are built fine for their intended use. I don't think i would want to cross an Ocean in a new Hunter.

I would love to read some HONEST opinions from the designer/architects of the sailboat world. I've read many of Bob Perry's articles/reviews of older boats; these are more honest than most. Have you ever noticed that boat reviews are just gushing about a new boat? They never really address all the issues with some of the new boats. I guess when the boat ads and charter companies are paying your bills your not really going to pi$$ on their wheaties.
Old 10-06-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by benesailor View Post
.....Have you ever noticed that boat reviews are just gushing about a new boat? They never really address all the issues with some of the new boats. I guess when the boat ads and charter companies are paying your bills your not really going to pi$$ on their wheaties.
Too true.. the dealers who provided the boats get to proof the articles.. negatives are weeded out, even if they aren't serious, or even if they are the writers' opinion/preference.

That's the nice thing about Practical Sailor, no advertisers' pressures.

By the same token most owners' reviews such as those posted here on SN are rarely truly objective.. I think we all rationalize or ignore things about our own boats that we know aren't perfect and well thought out, at least as long as we still own her.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 10-06-2013

benesailor is on a distinguished road

Faster,

well said, ditto
Old 10-06-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

bene, here is the link to my write-up on this subject:

TSBY_13_02 : BFSshop.com, is the official home of BFS Gear for Big Freakin Sails!

You'll notice I was very close to buying a mid '80s Bene First 375...but chose the '89 H40 in the end. I'm really happy with the choice.

HOWEVER, if we're talking NEW boats, NO WAY would I buy a Hunter these days. They look seriously goofy, IMUSO.

I would buy a Bene First or Oceanis in the 40-45 range. These new Benes are absolutely awesome boats and look great.

But, like I said, for the '80s boats, I think I got a great boat in the H40...fast, super comfy, easy to sail, very solid.

Let me know what you think.
h3mrn1 likes this.

Last edited by smackdaddy; 10-06-2013 at 06:26 PM.
Old 10-06-2013

ctl411 is on a distinguished road

Nice write up on your choice of boat. We sold our Hunter 37 last fall and bought a Gulfstar 50 ketch. The sail on the ketch you saw is called a mule sail.
The Following User Says Thank You to ctl411 For This Useful Post:
smackdaddy (10-06-2013)
Old 10-06-2013
just ducky

Don0190 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by benesailor View Post

I look forward to your story on your pick and why a Hunter.
After this part I found the rest of your post just a passive lot of designed to praise yourself for you boat choice while insulting others
Old 10-06-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don0190 View Post
After this part I found the rest of your post just a passive lot of designed to praise yourself for you boat choice while insulting others
Jeez, Don... a bit harsh, I'd say.....

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 10-06-2013
Last Man Standing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don0190 View Post
Hey, I do a lot of that too. It's fun! (In fact, I just did it above.)

Do you know how difficult it is to be a "Superior Hunter Owner" in today's sailing forums? I LOVE looking down my nose at (and mooning) Wally owners as I pass them. Fools.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.