Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree348Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Re: Production Boats and the Limits

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctl411 View Post
Nice write up on your choice of boat. We sold our Hunter 37 last fall and bought a Gulfstar 50 ketch. The sail on the ketch you saw is called a mule sail.
Was the docking on your 50 (from the 37) as insane as it was for me on our 40 (from a 27)? Good lord them's big boats!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-06-2013

ctl411 is on a distinguished road

The 37 had a two blade folder not much reverse and walked to port. I thought the 3 blade fixed on the 50 would be better but getting 35000 moving takes time. It also goes to starboard with the lefthand prop.
I'm lucky that my slip is a straight in end slip any crosswind and the bow takes off going out. Coming in is easy, keep the speed up to stay lined up hit the brakes and she walks over to the dock. Going out if there is a crosswind I use a spring line to hold her in place with forward gear. After all other lines are clear I shift to neutral and get some "spring" to help get her moving. Then a big hand full of throttle then back off will get me clear. If the wind is on the bow or aft no problem on the bow I will just walk her out. I haven't officially soloed yet but took a couple friends out and just had them stand by. So I can do it but I have to hustle lol.
I still miss my 37c but the wife and kids love the G50. I'm slowly coming around, needs more sail that's why I knew what the "mule" sail was. Talked to Bob P.and my sailmaker about it and will probably be my
next sail.
Do you miss the quicker more spirited ride of the smaller boat?
jerryrlitton and smackdaddy like this.
Old 10-06-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctl411 View Post
Do you miss the quicker more spirited ride of the smaller boat?
Honestly, no. I really like the speed and smoothness of the H40. Her sails are freakin' HUGE! She's very responsive - and way easier to sail than the tiller'd C27.

Of course, I've only had her out in 15-20 knots max in Galveston Bay. We'll see how she does in 25-30...but I'm confident in her.

Old 10-06-2013

benesailor is on a distinguished road

smackd love the winch layout on your h40. The interior looks nice as well. Looks fast. When i move your way we'll have to do a head to head. Yours a totally different look than the new ones. (i read your blog after posting last time.) I believe you made a good choice.
If i had to pick a new production boat i think i would go with a new Jeanneau 41DS. But, if i have my way and i bail on my present boat i'd like a Southerly 42RST.
Southerly 42RST - Gallery
Aaahhh....the smell of wood.

My buddy wants a gulfstar; i told him to look at this boat instead .......Wauquiez Centurion 42
1986 Wauquiez Centurion 42 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

And hmm...
Jonathan Green tackled the Atlantic -- single-handed

Jonathan Green sailing Jeroboam, his Oceanis 351, not only completed the OSTAR, the Original Single-handed Trans-Atlantic Race, but became the official 2013 IRC Winner Overall of this most prestigious race.
Old 10-06-2013
Last Man Standing

Now that Southerly is a sweet looking ride. Especially when you start getting over 50'. Yowza! And I agree with you, I'd WAY rather have a Wauquiez than a GS.

Also, I like Jenneau, definitely. I just prefer the less stark interior of the Benes.

These boats can go anywhere as long as you don't sail them stupid.

Now come on down and let's race!

(PS - As for Hunters being able to handle passage-making - Sequitur made a believer out of me.)

Last edited by smackdaddy; 10-07-2013 at 12:00 AM.
Old 10-07-2013

jzk is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Hey, I do a lot of that too. It's fun! (In fact, I just did it above.)

Do you know how difficult it is to be a "Superior Hunter Owner" in today's sailing forums? I LOVE looking down my nose at (and mooning) Wally owners as I pass them. Fools.
Yes, those Hunter and Morris owners can really be a bunch of snobs.
Old 10-07-2013

Quote:
These boats can go anywhere as long as you don't sail them stupid.
What is there about a Hunter that as long as you don't sail them "stupid," you will be ok vs. a more traditional offshore boat?
Old 10-07-2013
Last Man Standing

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzk View Post
What is there about a Hunter that as long as you don't sail them "stupid," you will be ok vs. a more traditional offshore boat?
I think virtually any modern production boat (Hunter just being one brand) can be sailed around the world without problem as long as it is sailed prudently and well. There's plenty of evidence that this is the case...just on SN alone.

The problem is the old-school thinking (which doesn't seem to be as widespread as it used to be) that it's stupid to even try to do so unless you are in a "traditional offshore boat".

Last edited by smackdaddy; 10-07-2013 at 11:51 AM.
Old 10-07-2013

Quote:
I think virtually any modern production boat (Hunter just being one brand) can be sailed around the world without problem as long as it is sailed prudently and well. There's plenty of evidence that this is the case...just on SN alone.

The problem is the old-school thinking (which doesn't seem to be as widespread as it used to be) that it's stupid to even try to do so unless you are in a "traditional offshore boat".
I agree with you, sort of. I suspect that if you took your hunter, closed it up, and just let it bob around in the middle of the Atlantic, you could come back a month later and it would be fine.

But what do you mean by "sailed prudently" that would be required on a modern production boat that wouldn't be required on a traditional offshore vessel?

As far as offshore vessels go, there are differences. People like Jimmy Cornell will argue that he would never go offshore without a protected rudder.

THere are also a host of things like floorboards that don't latch, etc.
Old 10-07-2013
just ducky

Don0190 is on a distinguished road

How long does a builder and a boat "style" have to be around till it is "traditional" design?
benesailor likes this.

Last edited by Don0190; 10-07-2013 at 01:49 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.