Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2009

nk235 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
You want to stay out of the whole southeast then nk235. Personal property tax is assessed annually everywhere.
Wow did not know that. I didn't mean the "harrassment" to be having to pay property taxes but having the water police coming after you with tax levys after you have been there for a day or two.
Old 04-16-2009

Flybyknight is on a distinguished road
We are very fortunate here in Delaware; there is no property tax.
I truly believe that the sentiment of the country (eg. TEA) is at a
point where a tax revolt is simmering.

Dick
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-16-2009
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
NK235...They don't. They generally walk the docks and take pictures in January and review marina records. If you stayed the summer in the state...they'll come after you. Some places have a 90 day rule.
They do NOT go after people just passing through. You will note that the OP says he was there in January. What he doesn't say is how long he was there. My experience in a marina in NC is that we did not have ONE single boat pull up to our docks in the month of January. No one GOES to New Bern in January. Betcha the devil is in the details...but VERY few boats are on the move in NC from December to March.

Flybyknight...agree with you. Wish Delaware had some decent sailing instead of being power boat country!

Last edited by camaraderie; 04-16-2009 at 07:22 PM.
Old 04-16-2009

nk235 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
NK235...They don't. They generally walk the docks and take pictures in January and review marina records. If you stayed the summer in the state...they'll come after you. Some places have a 90 day rule.
They do NOT go after people just passing through. You will note that the OP says he was there in January. What he doesn't say is how long he was there. My experience in a marina in NC is that we did not have ONE single boat pull up to our docks in the month of January. No one GOES to New Bern in January. Betcha the devil is in the details...but VERY few boats are on the move in NC from December to March.

Flybyknight...agree with you. Wish Delaware had some decent sailing instead of being power boat country!

Cam - Didn't mean to sound rude or bad about NC. Was just going off what the OP said but your right - its all probably in the details. Have a good weekend.
Old 04-16-2009

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
from what I read of the OP, NC is charging him AGAIN THIS YEAR and he has't been there this year. They will let him off the hook if he shows he is paying property taxes elsewhere. But there are a LOT of states where there is NO property tax collected. Seems only MD, VA, NC & SC do it. The New England states, the Great Lakes states, Florida don't do it.

So stay away from the Southeast states in the winter, screw them
Old 04-16-2009
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
"They will let him off the hook if he shows he is paying property taxes elsewhere."
xort, that would be illegal in all 50 states and probably considered criminal extortion, misfeasance, and abuse of office--all likely state and federal felony offenses.
A state can't simply send you a tax bill and say "prove you don't live here", they have to have some initial basis for venue and jurisdiction.
Since we don't have all the original facts (how long the boat was where) there's no point in speculating, but if things were really so simple--there'd be an eager lawyer (or AG) and a tax man going to jail.
Old 04-16-2009

NCC320 is on a distinguished road
xort

I don't think MD charges an annual tax. Our C22 is titled and was kept in MD for a number of years (2001-2005). At that time, as I said earlier, we paid a significant tax when registering the boat and never were assessed or required to pay an annual property tax. The boat is now in NC (where I do pay property tax), but I never get a bill from MD....I question whether the original poster actually pays an annual property tax on the boat in MD. Anyone from MD who knows what the real deal is there now?
Old 04-17-2009
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
MD does not have an annual tax but it does have a sales/use tax that applies ONE time if you use the boat in the state for 90 days....
Boating Law - Boat Tax 2007 Maryland Overview from Waterway Law

Lots of exceptions and fine points...so read the article if your boat will be in MD for 90 days or more. Here's a state by state East coast overview:

From Boating Law - Vessel Sales Tax - From Waterway Guide 2008
State
Sales tax on boats? Personal property tax?
Alabama 2% No
Connecticut 6% No (but higher registration fees)
Delaware No No
District of Columbia No No
Florida 6% No
Georgia 4% + local Yes
Maryland

5% No
Massachusetts 5% Yes
Maine 5% Yes
New Hampshire $10 to $1761.40 depending on size and propulsion with some exemptions No
New Jersey 7% Fee based on value of boat
New York 4% plus local No
North Carolina 3% with $1,500 cap Yes
Pennsylvania 6%-7% No
Rhode Island No No
South Carolina 5% with $300 cap Yes
US Virgin Islands No No
Virginia 2% capped at $2,000 Yes
Old 04-20-2009

nezperce333 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by xort View Post
from what I read of the OP, NC is charging him AGAIN THIS YEAR and he has't been there this year. They will let him off the hook if he shows he is paying property taxes elsewhere. But there are a LOT of states where there is NO property tax collected. Seems only MD, VA, NC & SC do it. The New England states, the Great Lakes states, Florida don't do it.

So stay away from the Southeast states in the winter, screw them
That's correct, the last statement I received from them is for 2009, not 2008, and I have not been there at all in 2009. What they appear to be trying to do is to simply carry the property forward from year to year. I will most likely not ending up paying them for 2009, once I have proven to them that the boat has not been there, but even the billing seems unjustified.

Last edited by nezperce333; 04-20-2009 at 05:41 PM.
Old 04-20-2009

nezperce333 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by witzgall View Post
New Bern is a GREAT place to visit. What you are dealing with is happening all over it seems, I get this from reading here at Cruisersforum. I don't see how you can translate this to the entire town of New Bern not liking cruisers. How long did you have your boat there?

If it was a short time, perhaps a copy of the ships log, receipts etc showing you moved on, would be sufficient.

Chris
The boat WAS there for 5 months in 2008. As far as the town not liking cruisers, it is pretty easy to see- The Sheraton Marina literally doubled its rates a couple of years ago, and raised minimum LOA footage billing for slips to 40 feet, in slips which were actually only 30 feet in length. The city is now writing tickets to boats who overnight at Union Point (town docks). To be fair, that was always the policy there, but they used to be laid back about it, give warnings, etc. I have spoken with a couple of people who tied up, went into town to spend money at the hardware store (nice, and an exception to the town disliking cruisers), then restaurant and bar, to come back late and find an $85 ticket on their boat. Same Police who wrote the ticket are unable to keep panhandlers out of the downtown area, though. Incidentally, when I complained to the manager of the Sheraton about the increase in rates (I have been through there MANY times before), his INITIAL response was "Why don't you just leave?" -there had been no real confrontation or anything of that nature. We did leave, and went across the river to BridgePoint marina, which is less convenient to downtown, but more reasonably priced and friendlier. Had I spent ONE night at The Sheraton, the bill would have been $125. for a 30 foot boat. At the time, they charged $4./ft./night plus $5 for hookup. I also encountered a general lack of friendliness in New Bern, not like it used to be. Also it is expensive, at least for The South: we wanted to spend a night in a hotel while the boat aired out from some fresh varnish, and The Comfort Suites there quoted us $149.95 plus 13% (!) tax for a regular room, or $199.95 plus 13% for a suite. We stayed in the BridgePoint hotel, by the marina, which was a bit rundown, but clean, at $90. plus tax. The hotel rates, of course, do not reflect anything against cruisers, just an example of how expensive New Bern has become. New Bern USED to be a great place to stop, but over roughly the last couple of years, as far as I am concerned, it has gone downhill. Used to be, they liked boaters, now they only want people who are looking for a $500K condo, and the type of tourists who want $200./night rooms, $30. fish dinners, and $6. vodka tonics.