Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2009
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
I call that the "Tayana 52" influence. It has happened more than you can imagine. They come in to the quiet little towns of America with their big boats, Bose speakers blasting Barry Manilow, little white captain hats on and socks pulled up to their knees, then tie up to the public docks not wanting to pay a thing. The towns figure they gotta stop it or before long even the Telstars will move in. Once the Telstars come... phew, property values are going to plummet.

- CD

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-20-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
At least the Telstars and Tayanas move from harbor to harbor... unlike the Dockolina you have...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingdad View Post
I call that the "Tayana 52" influence. It has happened more than you can imagine. They come in to the quiet little towns of America with their big boats, Bose speakers blasting Barry Manilow, little white captain hats on and socks pulled up to their knees, then tie up to the public docks not wanting to pay a thing. The towns figure they gotta stop it or before long even the Telstars will move in. Once the Telstars come... phew, property values are going to plummet.

- CD

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-20-2009

chuck711 is on a distinguished road
You hold that thought of New Bern, North Carolina

New Bern is a great place to boat!! It was once the capital of North Carolina. It’s like a mini-Savannah, full of 300 year old buildings. Quite an interesting place.
I’m a cruiser who came here in 2005 after a couple of years in the Caribbean. It’s known as one of the friendliest cruising spots on the eastern seaboard as well being very economical place to live. The area is predominately retired persons. Taxes are cheap and a 40 foot slip rents for $320/month. That includes safe floating docks, a yacht club house, free ice and with a lot of nice people you’ll have a good time. There is a large anchoring area and free docks for day use.
It host’s the Southern Cruisers Rendezvous every year at the Sheraton. And for a small fee ( $25) you have all the top cruising gurus giving you their help on cruising. 4 day affair http://www.ncgam.com/
I remember attending one of the meet and greet parties at the NCGAM . The mayor spoke of how he loved seeing all the cruising boats they were full of people who liked to have fun. When have you ever heard that said about a bunch of people who didn’t pay taxes yet were welcomed?
Yes the Hotels are expensive. Isn’t that why we have boats? The Sheraton was a few years ago going to the boat/condo vision. It didn’t happen and the rates have dropped.
So nezperce333 you hold that thought of New Bern. You seem in a minority……………
Old 04-20-2009
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
"The boat WAS there for 5 months in 2008."
There's your answer and it is pretty much the same in all states.
From NC's Basic Facts on Vessel Registration and Titling
"If a vessel registered in another state is brought into North Carolina for over 90 consecutive days, the registration must be transferred to North Carolina"
Unless your vessel is USCG documented, which you haven't said.

So once you tolled the requirement that your boat be NC registered, the state would consider your boat to "theirs" until the time that you transferred the registration and title to another state. Renewal bills get issued routinely all the time--again, not just in NC but pretty much everywhere. Until it transfers out or gets removed from the rolls one way or another--they're going to keep after you.
Old 04-21-2009

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Nez,

Having been to New Bern a number of times over the last 20 years what you are seeing is the evolution of a small quaint out of the way undicovered fishing village to a center of commerce and a resting stoppping point of interest for ICW travelers as well as a new base for yachting. On the Chesapeake I can rememeber when St Michaels was a quaint vilage, Cambridge was a run down economically depressed town. Both have changed over time. St Micheals is still nice to visit, but we wait until. summer is over or before it begins. Cambridge is a great destination now with nice restaurants and full service marinas, so I would not say its growth has been bad for it.

As far as the bill you were presented for residency tax. It appears you deserved it. You tried to circumvent the rules by keeping it 5 months and not paying taxes? I can imagine if I was a full taxpayer in NC in New Bern how I would feel about you doing that and trying to escape the taxes I was paying.

I will continue to enjoy stopping over in New Bern, marveling how they have grown and still maintain their charm and quaintness. I find it a great place to go.

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 04-21-2009

mepsnbarry is on a distinguished road
documented vs registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
"The boat WAS there for 5 months in 2008."
There's your answer and it is pretty much the same in all states.
From NC's Basic Facts on Vessel Registration and Titling
"If a vessel registered in another state is brought into North Carolina for over 90 consecutive days, the registration must be transferred to North Carolina"
Unless your vessel is USCG documented, which you haven't said.

To use the analogy of a car, USCG documentation is like the title, not the registration.

Even if your vessel is documented and "in transit," some states will hassle you unless you have some sort of state registration. We spent two weeks in Florida once aboard a Washington State documented vessel, and the skipper got a $60 ticket for not having any state registration. The Fish & Wildlife guys actually lay in wait on the ICW, looking for stickers.

If you stay on the hard, with an ugly project that's not recognizable as a boat, the NC tax collector won't find you. (Don't ask how I know.)

- limericks, essays, and photos by Meps 'n' Barry

- recipes for cooks at sea and on land
Old 04-21-2009
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
"To use the analogy of a car, USCG documentation is like the title, not the registration"
Bad analogy, since there is no equivalent of USCG documenation for cars, and more so because car registration and titling are both tied together at the state level. When you register a car, you also title it in the same state. Without the state title, you can't register it.

In this case specifically, the exemption for documented vessels--as opposed to state titled ones--is part of the NC code, as federally documented vessels are legally different from "ordinary" vessels that carry a state title and registration. <> Yup. Which is why I was quoting and referring only to the NC code here, since that's the problem.

Vessel was in their venue long enough to become "theirs" by state and federal law. Once that happens, no other state will challenge or stop a NC seizure order or other steps to keep after the boat. If it isn't fixed with the folks in NC, they could very well order an arrest of the vessel. What's that fourth law of thermodynamics? A bureaucrat, once set in motion, remains in motion? Forever?
Old 04-21-2009
Newly wed

JacquelineHaden is on a distinguished road
Hello sailor.. I think I missunderstood you...a car isn't necessarily titled and registered in the same state...My title to my car is in WA..but it is registered here in AZ.....
Old 04-21-2009

witzgall is on a distinguished road
New Bern Loves Cruisers

Not one of your points below leads me to a conclusion that the town does not like cruisers. The Sheraton - geeze, it is a freaking Sheraton! I just stayed at the Holiday Inn in Solomon's MD this past weekend, for the same rate!!! Did you expect reasonable rates? Instead of complaining about the rate, did you ask for a lower one, nicely? I do this, and you would be surprised how often the answer is yes. Hotels all around are raising their rates, as the corporate traveler has dropped off of the face of the earth.

The ticket, well, that sucks for them, but was there a sign? Betcha there was. I would like to see the town have a first come first served transient dock like Oriental.

Looks like you owe the tax, simple as that. That is not a New Bern thing, it is an NC thing. Sucks, but it is true. Again, not New Bern.

I have to ask, with a 30 foot boat, why did you not just anchor out? I would not have paid $120 a night either, but you do have a choice. There is a great anchorage just past the railroad bridge.

I will admit you are right about the hardware store. Try the other retailers downtown, they are just as nice and helpful.

If you need a slip and a room at the same time again, try Northwest Creek Marina, to see if they have a transient slip available. The Hurricane restaurant has a few rooms above you can rent. Timeshares too, if you need lots of space.

Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by nezperce333 View Post
The boat WAS there for 5 months in 2008. As far as the town not liking cruisers, it is pretty easy to see- The Sheraton Marina literally doubled its rates a couple of years ago, and raised minimum LOA footage billing for slips to 40 feet, in slips which were actually only 30 feet in length. The city is now writing tickets to boats who overnight at Union Point (town docks). To be fair, that was always the policy there, but they used to be laid back about it, give warnings, etc. I have spoken with a couple of people who tied up, went into town to spend money at the hardware store (nice, and an exception to the town disliking cruisers), then restaurant and bar, to come back late and find an $85 ticket on their boat. Same Police who wrote the ticket are unable to keep panhandlers out of the downtown area, though. Incidentally, when I complained to the manager of the Sheraton about the increase in rates (I have been through there MANY times before), his INITIAL response was "Why don't you just leave?" -there had been no real confrontation or anything of that nature. We did leave, and went across the river to BridgePoint marina, which is less convenient to downtown, but more reasonably priced and friendlier. Had I spent ONE night at The Sheraton, the bill would have been $125. for a 30 foot boat. At the time, they charged $4./ft./night plus $5 for hookup. I also encountered a general lack of friendliness in New Bern, not like it used to be. Also it is expensive, at least for The South: we wanted to spend a night in a hotel while the boat aired out from some fresh varnish, and The Comfort Suites there quoted us $149.95 plus 13% (!) tax for a regular room, or $199.95 plus 13% for a suite. We stayed in the BridgePoint hotel, by the marina, which was a bit rundown, but clean, at $90. plus tax. The hotel rates, of course, do not reflect anything against cruisers, just an example of how expensive New Bern has become. New Bern USED to be a great place to stop, but over roughly the last couple of years, as far as I am concerned, it has gone downhill. Used to be, they liked boaters, now they only want people who are looking for a $500K condo, and the type of tourists who want $200./night rooms, $30. fish dinners, and $6. vodka tonics.
Old 04-24-2009

nezperce333 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Nez,

Having been to New Bern a number of times over the last 20 years what you are seeing is the evolution of a small quaint out of the way undicovered fishing village to a center of commerce and a resting stoppping point of interest for ICW travelers as well as a new base for yachting. On the Chesapeake I can rememeber when St Michaels was a quaint vilage, Cambridge was a run down economically depressed town. Both have changed over time. St Micheals is still nice to visit, but we wait until. summer is over or before it begins. Cambridge is a great destination now with nice restaurants and full service marinas, so I would not say its growth has been bad for it.

As far as the bill you were presented for residency tax. It appears you deserved it. You tried to circumvent the rules by keeping it 5 months and not paying taxes? I can imagine if I was a full taxpayer in NC in New Bern how I would feel about you doing that and trying to escape the taxes I was paying.

I will continue to enjoy stopping over in New Bern, marveling how they have grown and still maintain their charm and quaintness. I find it a great place to go.

Dave
During the time frame i have the real problem with, the boat was not there for even ONE day! The 2008 tax for the 5 months I do understand their point of view on, my point of view, on the other hand, was that I had paid a local (not state) tax on it in MD, where the boat was for 7 months. Now New Bern also wants tax for 2009. The boat has not been there for 1 day in 2009!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.