Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2009
Back to just the Jon boat

therapy23 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicAdventure View Post
Back on the topic of generators, does anyone know anything about some of the off brand "suitcase" gensets?

Sounds like there are a lot of the Hondas out there. But I have also come across a few that a significantly less in price. Such as:
All Power America Portable Generator — 2000 Surge Watts, 1650 Rated Watts, Model# APG3010 | 1,000 - 4,999 Watts | Northern Tool + Equipment $330

The honda seem to go for around $750 used to >$1000 new.

The noise spec does appear to be worse. The one above is 68 dB. The honda is 53 to 59 dB. That's more than 3X quiter, which is fairly significant. Funny how the price is almost exactly proportional to the different in sound emission!
I have been reading up on multiple forums for a number of years. I will probably be in the market for a small generator soon and it will be a Honda for sure.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-27-2009

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
One thing to think about, re the off brands. I'm sure it is as true today, as it was in 92 when I bought my EB3500 Honda. Some of the charging electronics are not as good as what goes into the Honda's. If you put a Volt meter to the off brand, the Volts, altho it might be the Amps or watts, will vary below and above 12V by 2 maybe even 3 volts. Where as the Honda would not vary but by .1Volts, and one can run a computer with it, where as you can not with an offbrand.

My dad used to work for a regional telephone company, and they Used Honda's or equal for critical electronics when the main power grid shut down, but on the trucks when they needed portable power for tools, they had off brands.

My .02 on this. I will not say that Honda is the only genset with these tighter specs on the power output, I believe yamaha and some others are the same way, BUT it is worth trying to figure out what type of power you want.

marty
Old 04-27-2009

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicAdventure View Post
The noise spec does appear to be worse. The one above is 68 dB. The honda is 53 to 59 dB. That's more than 3X quiter, which is fairly significant. Funny how the price is almost exactly proportional to the different in sound emission!
The Honda EU1000i is much more quiet than my larger off-brand generator, but then that isn't saying much, the bigger generator is a BEAST! I think the advertising for the EU1000i might be a little bit misleading to some people who don't have anything to compare to because it's not exactly a soothing sound, it isn't like a big cat purring or something, it's still an annoying generator!

Please support my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-28-2009
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road
6 yrs ago i swore i would never use a genny on my boat-----5 yrs ago i got a honda 1000eu----hated it--the song varied tooo much at idle--i traded it and some more money for a 2000eu honda and loved it until the thing stuck a valve --then i bought a briggs and stratton 3250--hate it---waaaaay tooo noisey----fixed the honda and now am thinking of saving allllllll my extra dollars for another one---they survive mistreatment and abuse and they are able to charge my boats' systems efficiently without the rabid noise problem---i always point into wind --unless current overtakes the wind speed---but the sound factor is such i can charge until late into night without bothering anyone else but myself--oh--i keep it on my cockpit on the lazarette-aimed astern---ran around in my dink to see how far it can be heard---honda--only as far as my own mooring lines----briggsy-----alllll the way to the other side of the moooring field!!!!! honda and yamaha and the big names are excellent---the off brands have made in china on them and last only 3 months-----honda rules!!!--ps--i have neither tv nor airconditioning---neither is needed on board a boat having flow - thru ventilation.....(my 2 cents)
Old 04-28-2009
Abysmally Stupid

jorgenl is on a distinguished road
I just bought a Honda EU2000i which I have not yet used and have a related question;

what do you use to connect it to the shore power inlet on the boat?

I was thinking of using one of my 25' shore power cords and one of these adapters;

http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1|328|49758|299260|319692&id=140049

Would that work? Any better methods?
Old 04-28-2009
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road
before my battery charger died on my formosa i connected it with my shore power cord and an adapter----worked fine--now i need to save for another charger .... lol ... i believe your combination will work--if it plugs into the machine and the boat , ya got it!!!!---ps--the combo didnt burn out the charger---it was an oooolllldddd one and got wet in the winter from a deck leak in my leaky teaky, go figger...lol.....should work for a long time on yours----