SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Cruising & Liveaboard Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-liveaboard-forum/)
-   -   Sailing vancouver island to south america and beyond. (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-liveaboard-forum/53890-sailing-vancouver-island-south-america-beyond.html)

willdadd 04-27-2009 06:22 PM

Sailing vancouver island to south america and beyond.

I'm curious as to other peoples opinions,
I am planning on sailing my georgian 23 from vancouver island to south america and beyond. I am aware that this is a small boat, but it has been super seaworthy thus far, the small inboard is very reliable, the accomodations though a little small are comfortable and well layed out, and I have the same space inside as a catalina 27.

I'm just wondering if theres anything someone more experienced may think I've missed..

cheers

Valiente 04-28-2009 03:16 AM

A stormy, lee shore with few safe harbours most of the way. Quite the challenge. Are you talking about going down the west side to the Horn, or crossing "up" the Canal? Biiiig difference. Down in Chile, I don't know how you'd carry the fuel, water and supplies to get past Patagonia, but Vito Dumas Vito Dumas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia managed.

The book "My Old Man and the Sea" might be instructive. I think that was a 25 footer. Don't bring a cat.

St Anna 04-28-2009 04:21 AM

MIles Hordern wrote a book Voyaging the Pacific[ISBN 0-7195-6482 4]of his travels from NZ to CHile and back (and where he helped prepare a cruising guide to Sth Chile). His yacht I guess would only be about 28'

sailingdog 04-28-2009 07:54 AM

Umm.. why would you sail a Georgian 23 if you have a 32' sailboat available to you... JJ Taylor made some very rugged boats, including the Contessa 26...

Also, how much experience do you have??? As pointed out, the west coast of the Americas can be a very nasty place to be sailing—lee shore, few good harbors, etc. The point about whether you're rounding the Horn or transiting the canal is also a good one—as they're very different things to do, and you need to prep the boat differently for them.

For instance, fitting a pilot and four line handlers on a 23' boat to make a canal transit might be a bit difficult.

Quote:

Originally Posted by willdadd (Post 480428)
I'm curious as to other peoples opinions,
I am planning on sailing my georgian 23 from vancouver island to south america and beyond. I am aware that this is a small boat, but it has been super seaworthy thus far, the small inboard is very reliable, the accomodations though a little small are comfortable and well layed out, and I have the same space inside as a catalina 27.

I'm just wondering if theres anything someone more experienced may think I've missed..

cheers

imagine2frolic 04-28-2009 09:49 AM

This might be a good read for you.......i2f
JohnGuzzwell.com

Latitude 38 - The West's Premier Sailing & Marine Magazine

Faster 04-28-2009 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sailingdog (Post 480615)
Umm.. why would you sail a Georgian 23 if you have a 32' sailboat available to you... JJ Taylor made some very rugged boats, including the Contessa 26...

Good question, SD.... but btw, the Vancouver builder Taylor is not the same as the Ontario JJ Taylor that built the Contessas, so that boat too may be a question mark.

sailingdog 04-28-2009 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Faster (Post 480657)
Good question, SD.... but btw, the Vancouver builder Taylor is not the same as the Ontario JJ Taylor that built the Contessas, so that boat too may be a question mark.

Ah... thought it said JJ Taylor, not JT Taylor.. :) My bad. :)

Capnblu 04-28-2009 12:43 PM

You're gonna need a good EPIRB or two or three. A full immersion survival suit, and lots of clean underwear. Are you sure you can't find a smaller craft, or raft for your adventure? How about a canoe?

sailingdog 04-28-2009 01:25 PM

This is a bit pessimistic.... Plenty of 20-30' LOA boats have made passages down the western side of the Americas... and a few have even done the Horn..
Quote:

Originally Posted by Capnblu (Post 480735)
You're gonna need a good EPIRB or two or three. A full immersion survival suit, and lots of clean underwear. Are you sure you can't find a smaller craft, or raft for your adventure? How about a canoe?

imagine2frolic 04-28-2009 01:32 PM

Another good read is, MY OLD MAN AND THE SEA..........i2f

Amazon.com: My Old Man and the Sea: David Hays, Daniel Hays: Books