Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2009

livnthedream is on a distinguished road
Sailing Southern CA- Ventura to San Diego

I am buying a boat in Ventura, CA- at Channel Islands and am sailing it down to San Diego. I am picking it up (1987 Catalina 34) May 16th and was thinkng I would sail it from Channel Islands to Newport Beach in 1 day, and then Newport Beach to San Diego the next day? This is going to be my first Coastal Cruising for an extended period and was wondeirng if anyone has done that sail and has any suggestions/advice? I'm 25yrs old and am sailing down with a couple friends. Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 05-05-2009

jbrockpiano is on a distinguished road
Add at least a couple of days to your plans. You must account for weather and
refueling. Also on a boat new to you it is possible you might encounter mechanical challenges. Wind is fickle in Southern California. Good luck on your trip.
Old 05-05-2009

thanks for the response. Ya, I was thinking if need be I could always stop in Redondo or LA first and then oceanside as well. Hopefully there is enough wind though that I was thinking I wouldnt really need to motor that much.
Old 05-05-2009

windward54 is on a distinguished road
Redondo Beach does not have a lot of guest spots. You might want to think about Ventura to Isthmus Cove or Cat Harbor at Two Harbors/Catalina. That would give you a good angle to head for either Dana Point or Newport Beach.
Old 05-05-2009

Windward-

I like the Catalina suggestion to do on the first leg! Plus I can then hang around Catalina for a day or 2 and then head down to Dana Point and stay the night and then make the final stretch to SD the following day.
Old 05-05-2009

swadiver is on a distinguished road
Livin,

If Newport Beach is in your plans there are only 5 guest slips and they are first come first serve. Contact the Harbor Master/Harbor Patrol. There is the possibility of picking up a mooring in the harbor, again contact the Harbor Master. Newport does have a free anchorage in the turning basin but I think your stay is limited and depending on the time of year you are required to stay on your boat. You are going to have a great time. When I bought my Catalina 30, I motor/sailed solo from Oceanside to Long Beach. As someone said before plan extra time for unknown problems. I had cooling problems on my trip and it took longer than I had planned.

Long Beach, Ca.
s/v Namaste - 86 Catalina 30 , Tall Rig

The optimist expects the wind. The pessimist complains about the wind. The realist adjusts the sails.
Old 05-05-2009
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road
The trip you are contemplating is not inconsequential, particularly if you are sailing a yacht new to you and your experience is limited. From Channel Islands to Two-Harbors is about 65-70 miles (nautical) and likely a good 12 hour trip. It might be wiser to make your first leg to Marina Del Rey and then, if all goes well, to make the jump to Two Harbors, and .from there directly to San Diego or, for harbor hopping, to Dana Point and down the coast. If you are not acquainted with Newport harbor, it might be wise to skip that in favor of Dana which is more accomodating.

FWIW...

s/v HyLyte
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 05-05-2009

windward54 is on a distinguished road
Going to MDR will shave off an hour or two on the first leg, but adds the time onto the second leg as Palos Verdes Pennensula gets in the way. Plus it blocks wind. The advantage of heading to Catalina is having a great angle on the second day.

Newport is a GREAT place to stop. SWADIVER is right in that there are only 5 guest slips, but there are a ton on moorings available. The Harbor Patrol is helpful, and even told me that they have NEVER run out of moorings. Best part is the cost. There are available for $5 a night. Couple of things to remember though; there is no shoreboat and you need two very long lines as the mooring cans are fore and aft. That means you have to run one line on your foward cleat and back all thge way to the aft can. Most cleat the lines on either side of the boat in a V. The smaller the boat, the longer the lines that are needed.

Dana Point is also a great stop. Best part is if you need to stop on a weekend, they will accept reservations for the guest slips. The phone number is (949) 496-6137. They will require a copy of your doc paper or registration as well as proof of liability insurance. Plenty of restaurants within walking distance and it is a fun harbor to stop in. Be ready for afternoon wind. It does tend to blow hard on that side of the marina in the late afternoon.

Last edited by windward54; 05-05-2009 at 11:35 AM.
Old 05-06-2009

Thank you everyone for your responses!!! They are a HUGE help. I will keep you guys posted on what my trip ends up being and how everything goes! Again, I really do appreciate all of the advice!! I am sooo excited to have my boat soon and having the opportunity to sail as often as possible and sharpening my skills and all of the other life benefits that sailing has to offer!!!
Old 05-10-2009

SeekerSkip is on a distinguished road
Congratulations on your purchase -- you should have a great time!

I agree with all that has been said before, but I would also recommend that you leave a float plan, or at least a schedule, with someone reliable enough to notify the Coast Guard if you are late in arriving at one of your destinations.

We have done the Channel Islands - Catalina - Sand Diego trip several time and will be doing it again in August. We found that the wind was not reliable enough to count on quick passages by sail alone, so make allowance (either fuel-wise or time-wise) in the eventuality that you have a very calm trip.

SeekerSkip
Caliber LRC 40

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.