Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2009

nk235 is on a distinguished road
When cruising I find I actually use the motor about 80% of the time but wouldn't use it at all if I didn't have to. The trouble is that I like most people only get to cruise on the weekends except for the 1 big trip for 1 or 2 weeks every year. So a lot of the time I constrained with time, weather, and current especially if I am headed east in LI Sound where the currents can really run and it is very important to time them favorably. We try to sail at every possible chance we get but its funny how often the wind is on your nose or is so light that the sails just flap uselessly. In fact last weekend on our sail back to our home port was the first time where the wind was blowing like heck from the stern as opposed to on the nose.

If I were retired (only 25 so have a long way to go ) I would prob sail a lot more because I could pick and choose my destinations and when I left based on the weather rather than knowing I only have an afternoon or day to get somewhere. Although using the motor sucks, those times when you do get to sail the whole way are that much more enjoyable!
Old 05-12-2009

tager is on a distinguished road
I hate motoring. Sometimes I guess I seem obnoxious, sailing under bridges, beating up the Montlake Cut, or sailing into the lagoon around my marina... but it is a sailboat! I use my motor as little as possible, usually just to get off the dock. I do use it to get to and from the locks, though.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-12-2009

OsmundL is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tager View Post
I hate motoring

Just a reminder: A vital part of the question was how you use the boat: Is it day sailing, weekend cruise, or long trips? I'd expect most day sailors to use the engine rarely, and cruisers a lot more. It would be neat to know how big the difference is.
Old 05-12-2009
Sea Slacker

brak is on a distinguished road
I use a motor quite a bit. I don't mind it at all. Perhaps i am not a "true" sailor (though I am bored in a power boat). I enjoy navigation and getting from point A to point B. I enjoy sailing when sailing is enjoyable - i.e. when the wind is right (not too strong and not too light and in the direction that helps me move where I want to go). If none of this is true - I turn a key and go. My boat is in essence a motor-sailor (she has a relatively big engine) so no qualms about it.
I think this is all about doing what you like, not what someone else thinks you should do.
IMHO
Old 05-13-2009

Boasun will become famous soon enough Boasun will become famous soon enough
Well you could all be carrying Sweep Oars on your sailing vessels and be using them when there is no wind or have a strong need to go straight into that wind and tide. This was how it was done in the old days before there were engines.
Choices: Sweep Oars, Engine? Hmmmmm!? Sore back & arms or finger tip throttle control??
Which shall it be today?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Maritime Instructor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Rapture

Last edited by Boasun; 05-13-2009 at 12:28 PM. Reason: sarcassism?
Old 05-13-2009

imagine2frolic is on a distinguished road
I have cruised about 14k miles doing island hops, and coastal. I never kept track, but I would think 50% is a common number. Someday when my stars are aligned I will cross an ocean, and sail the trades. Having 4 solar panels, and a wind generator, I am hoping to never turn the engines on except to drop, pick up the hook, and entering places tight for maneuvering......i2f

BORROWED, No single one of us is as smart as all of us!

Old 05-13-2009
NON member

AE28 is on a distinguished road
We're daysailers and use the engine from the slip to the lake and back - a few minutes in each direction.
We use less than three gallons of diesel per year.
Paul
Old 05-13-2009

Boasun will become famous soon enough Boasun will become famous soon enough
I use to sail a 26 ft knock-about that was a pure sailing vessel (did not have an engine). And after sailing it for awhile I could put it most places that power boats of the same size would have secound thoughts about.
I believe that as your skills grow that you will find that you are using the engine less and less as time goes by. But push your sailing ability to the limit and keep learning about what your vessel can do when under sail...

Maritime Instructor

S/V Rapture
Old 05-13-2009

christyleigh is on a distinguished road
For us it's 90% Sailing around the bay on weekends and 90% Motor Sailing on our weeks vacations to different destinations in the MA, RI, CT, and NY area.
Wickford/Narragansett Bay RI
Old 05-13-2009

GraemeInCanada is on a distinguished road
I hate motoring myself because it's noisy and the vibration of the engine is irritating compared to a nice smooth sail. On that note though, if I need to get somewhere then I'll grudgingly turn the key and get going. It seems that more often than not you're going into the wind.. even if you go on a trip that spans 4 days, 2 days going down and 2 going back up, that wind will change direction 180 degrees on your second day making sure to keep the wind on your nose.. crazy but true story for me.

Either way, if I could sail all the time I would. It's time that is the issue here, like others I can't waste all my time going at 2 knots. When I retire I might do that though