Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-13-2009
M Robinson

nomchang is on a distinguished road
Solar charger for BlackBerry

Hello-
We are looking to bring home a new (to us) boat from MA to NJ. I was wondering if anyone knew of an inexpensive solar charger that could be used to power a BlackBerry while we are at sea. Ideally it would be a portable unit where I could plug the wall charger or USB cable into it and charge the phone's battery. Anyone with experience with such a thing? We wont have time to set up a proper solar system before delivering the boat, and I don't believe the boat is set up for 12V power.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 05-13-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Try this:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 05-13-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Or better yet, try this, much less expensive.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 05-14-2009

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about
I use a 6.5 watt flexible folding panel for charging. It has grommets for hanging it on your backpack while you are hiking and has a standard 12 volt cigarette lighter type plug (or others, it has adapters). On a sunny day it has enough power to charge a lot of things at the same time.

Mine didn't come with the girl.

Source: Sunlinq 6.5 watt folding solar panel

I did not pay nearly 85$us for mine but I don't remember where I bought mine.

Please support my
Old 05-14-2009

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Bring your usual charger, buy an inexpensive 110V inverter that uses battery clips (large alligator clips) to connect to a battery. If you can't find one packaged that way, you can get the clips at Radio Shack or auto parts stores.

Hook up your inverter to the boat's 12v battery, it will have at least one if it is ready to go to sea at all.

Simple done deal.

Or, check out some of the portable cell phone chargers, look for one that uses 2xAA cells or similar and has multiple charger tips with one for Blackberry. You'll get one full charge, maybe two, from two AA cells or whatever similar it takes, so a handful of those will get you home most simply. Those chargers run $15-25.

Or, can't you just get a second battery for the Blackberry, charge it up at home and take it along? And just power up for ten minutes a half dozen times a day?
Old 05-14-2009
M Robinson

nomchang is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Bring your usual charger, buy an inexpensive 110V inverter that uses battery clips (large alligator clips) to connect to a battery. If you can't find one packaged that way, you can get the clips at Radio Shack or auto parts stores.

Hook up your inverter to the boat's 12v battery, it will have at least one if it is ready to go to sea at all.

Thanks hellosailor--I'm clearly not an expert on electrical matters...do you mean something like this?

http://www.adaptelec.com/powerbright...city-p-68.html

thanks!
Old 05-14-2009

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
More like http://www.adaptelec.com/powerbright...bfa01c8ab4954f
the 200-watt $29.99 version is probably 400% larger than you need. Anything rated 100 watts, even 75-80 watts, is going to be more than your Blackberry charger needs. Prices tend to be about the same for 75-150 watt units, poewr drain to your battery is of course less with the smaller units, but I'd suggest something like a 100-watt unit as being "enough" to be very portable and able to power any one electronic gizmo--like one laptop, on dvd player, or a mess of cell phone chargers all at once.

Your local auto parts store will carry them. Sam's, WalMart, Costco...all those places usually carry them as well. Whichever you buy--take a look at the fuse it uses, and box a little pack of spares to tape onto it, since you can easily blow the fuse if you overload it. And we all know how easy it is to get the right fuse for anything, offshore.
Old 05-14-2009

More like http://www.adaptelec.com/powerbright...bfa01c8ab4954f
the 200-watt $29.99 version is probably 400% larger than you need. Anything rated 100 watts, even 75-80 watts, is going to be more than your Blackberry charger needs. Prices tend to be about the same for 75-150 watt units, poewr drain to your battery is of course less with the smaller units, but I'd suggest something like a 100-watt unit as being "enough" to be very portable and able to power any one electronic gizmo--like one laptop, on dvd player, or a mess of cell phone chargers all at once. Should be about the size of a paperback book, more or less.

Your local auto parts store will carry them. Sam's, WalMart, Costco...all those places usually carry them as well. Whichever you buy--take a look at the fuse it uses, and box a little pack of spares to tape onto it, since you can easily blow the fuse if you overload it. And we all know how easy it is to get the right fuse for anything, offshore.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.