LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2009

AlbinSailor is on a distinguished road
Alaska Sailing

Juneau
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-17-2009

billyruffn will become famous soon enough
Rather than set out for CR immediately, why don't you just plan a trip to Ketchikan and back. If that goes well, stage 2 could be a passage to Puget Sound. You probably won't get much sailing experience on the Inside Passage, but you will learn if your motor is any good and whether making the long trip in a small boat with only an outboard is a good thing to do. My guess is you'll abandon the idea of motoring to CR before you get to Prince Rupert.

If you do get that far, I would strongly suggest that before heading offshore you learn to sail the boat. Motoring all the way to CR is not a reasonable thing to do. If you don't want to learn to sail, why'd you buy a sailboat?

Good luck.
Old 05-17-2009
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough
I'll second BillyR's advice above, but if you are determined to try this you could probably get to Puget Sound on the outboard if you carry enough fuel for the longest leg, and watch the weather like your life depended on it. Once there, I would strongly recommend that before heading offshore you fix/replace the engine and go over all the systems, including rigging and sails on the boat, and learn to sail. Unlike breaking down in a car, when you are offshore in bad weather and something breaks you can't just park it and walk to the bus station. Think about it.

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Old 05-18-2009

n0w0rries is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbinSailor View Post
We bought an Albin Vega 27' and fixed it up.
Motor not running, we will put an outboard. No idea how to sail but do not want to give up boat traveling to Costa Rica.
What do you guys think about just motoring the boat to Coate Rica?
How long would it take?
Any experience sailing from Alsaka to Central America?
Any advice?
Define "fixed it up" if that doesn't include a running motor.
What's the plan to keep the batteries charged?
How fast does the outboard push the boat?
How much fuel does it burn an hour at that speed?
How much usable fuel does it hold?
Use google earth and measure a line from where you are in Alaska to where you want to go to costa rica. Now you have your distance.
Do the math. What's your range? How many refuel stops between here and there? How much time to get from here to there?
Old 05-18-2009

billyruffn will become famous soon enough
I almost forgot. Make sure you read up on how to navigate the few spots around Vancouver Island where the current creates "rapids". It wouldn't be fun in your boat when the water's moving briskly.
Old 06-09-2009

royvt is on a distinguished road
Passage from Alaska to CR

I'm not sure if you're still reading replies to your post, but most folks are warning you not to do this passage relying on your outboard. The reality is that even the best engine is not as reliable as a good set of sails and some skills.

You seem to be concerned about not knowing how to sail-- well it's not that hard to learn the basics -and you will always be learning after that.

Like you, I was a complete newbie to sailing a little over a year ago (though with lots of ocean and big lake experience in a sea-kayak)- I bought a 1982 PSC Flicka (after years of dreaming about it) took a one week course at the Chapman school in the spring of '08 and then sailed my boat from Florida to Vermont over a 5 week period last June/July '08. My crew for most of the passage (my 23 year old son) had never sailed.

We both learned as we cruised (mostly on the ICW) -- and I was sure glad that I had a good boat and good sails and "some" skills - since the bulk of my problems were with the engine (inboard diesel).

I don't know much about your boat or sailing from AK to Costa Rica, but assume you can run the inside passage most of the way to Vancouver or the San Juans- and get to know the boat as well as work on developing skills before you need to run too far offshore.
So my suggestion- don't give up- but take an ASA or equivalent keel boat cruising course before you set off. Then take it one day at time and see how you and the boat hold up to the challenges.

I know that the class gave me the confidence to try sailing rather than shipping my boat north, and I am sure glad that I did it. Sailing (and learning my way around a diesel engine) has become a big part of my life (and my wife's) and we are planning some long passages (blue-water) in the near future. Meanwhile, we get out there and sail in all sorts of weather to build skills-- and have fun.

Hope this helps-
Roy V
Old 06-09-2009

imagine2frolic is on a distinguished road
royvt,

Who knows where the original poster is? I can tell you this from first hand experience. There is no way possible to compare a trip up the ICW to sailing down the west coast.

Did you read the part about the rapids? Have you sailed the west coast in either direction? To advise the person to take on this trip with what his post explains about his experience, and intentions is just not right.

I encourage people to go all the time, but not this one. It would take luck every single moment for them to arrive safe in Costa Rica, and no one has that kind of luck, because they sure have absolutely no clue what they are in for.........i2f

BORROWED, No single one of us is as smart as all of us!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-12-2009

ballchain is on a distinguished road
I saw an Alibin 27 on ebay a few weeks ago in that area.. I wonder if it's the same one?
Old 06-14-2009

royvt is on a distinguished road
reply to Imagine2frolic

I could see how you might misinterpret my post as encouragement to make the passage, but
just to be clear I am absolutely not encouraging this person to sail from Alaska to Costa Rica, just to learn how to sail. The idea of relying on an outboard for any passage seemed far-fetched enough to signal that the poster had little idea about what he was getting into.

I have traveled the Inside Passage in AK and BC (on ferries and fishing boats), and know that even those relatively protected waters pose real dangers. And I would never compare an open water West Coast passage to the ICW--

Again, I was just trying to encourage the poster to take a course or two and learn to sail--and then to see where their skills and boat could take them - even if it was just day sailing on relatively calm days.

royv