Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2009

Colinkites2000 is on a distinguished road
Great info. Thanks for this. We will get out for a test cruise for a few days and see how we manage.

Best Regards,
Colin

Quote:
Originally Posted by brak View Post
I've been on First 310 (and also owned First 285).

That said, my experience with 285 was that it is a very lightweight boat, fun to sail on good days, which becomes quite uncomfortable in any kind of weather. Even a light chop in Chesapeake with 15 kts wind is less than fun for a small crew (though perhaps tougher men could have made a decent day of something like that, I don't know).

So, as always the answer depends on a person, but a smaller lighter boat requires a stronger stomach under the same set of conditions
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-19-2009

Great feedback!! I will look carefully at all hardware and bring a fair amount of spares. We were thinking of some type of water making system and a solar and/or wind generator to help with the power issues but these specific notes are very help. I really appreciate it. Sincerely, Colin
Old 05-19-2009

Could you give me an example of the types of passages (length/conditions) that would be comfortable for this boat, pushing the limits and reckless/dangerous?

We have been loaned the boat for free, so it's tough to pass this offer up and makes the trip a reality - but we want to be sure that with enough preparation and judgement she will not self-destruct on the way to the Carib. and/or El Salvador etc.

Thanks for your feedback.

Best,
Colin

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
This is a poor choice for a cruising boat to try to bash into hundreds of miles of head winds and seas. Low tankage, shallow bilge, flat bottom and light weight.
Not saying it can't be done...just saying there are far better choices and it is not bult and designed for such passages. This is not a bash of the boat or the brand... as they are nice boats for their designed purpose and sail well.
Old 05-19-2009

imagine2frolic is on a distinguished road
If you just go to the Bahamas you will have the time of your life, and it can be a comfy ride for the boat. What time of year are you thinking about? All the other places sound enticing, but I would stick to going no farher than the Bahamas. It's supposed to be fun, and not brutal......i2f

BORROWED, No single one of us is as smart as all of us!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-19-2009

Hi imagine2frolic,

Thanks for your feedback on this. We were thinking about departing NC in November, spending the winter cruising the Carib. chain and then head over to Panama around April/May. One of our main goals is to find some quality waves to surf and so Costa, Guate and El Salv. are really the ultimate destinations and offer up some interesting exploring opportunities beyond the Caribbean. Since the Bahamas don't produce consistent surf, we were thinking of leaving them out this time round.

Best,
Colin

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagine2frolic View Post
If you just go to the Bahamas you will have the time of your life, and it can be a comfy ride for the boat. What time of year are you thinking about? All the other places sound enticing, but I would stick to going no farher than the Bahamas. It's supposed to be fun, and not brutal......i2f
Old 05-19-2009

Encre2Chine is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colinkites2000 View Post
We have been loaned the boat for free, so it's tough to pass this offer up and makes the trip a reality
Hi Colin,
No disrespect but...THIS is your first mistake. No matter what, if the boat (or you...which sounds a bit like it, honestly) is not prepared, that is just it. If you don't spend lots of money and time in preparing it (which anyway will be even more expensive than renting a boat designed and prepared for offshore cruising) you will not go very far. In the end , this can cost you more than you can imagine, and it's not money I'm refering to...
You want to surf ? why don't you just fly to the spot then ?
Old 05-20-2009

imagine2frolic is on a distinguished road
You want to surf ? why don't you just fly to the spot then ?

Great advice to fly in to surf. In the long run it will be cheaper, but I still advise to sailing to the Bahamas. Take the boat home, and fly to your surf destination. I would imagine there are some surfing areas on the windward side of the islands in the Bahamas.

One other piece of advice, and this is from someone who did something similiar to what you propose. I truly don't think you understand what you are up against to accomplish this goal in this boat. Encrie is giving you advice, and he owns a similiar boat.

BEST WISHES in whatever you decide to tackle.......i2f

BORROWED, No single one of us is as smart as all of us!