Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2009
JLynn

JLynn is on a distinguished road
sailing through central america with cat, HELP

will be leaving from Florida in July or August for a sailing trip that will take us around the Caribbean, Central and possibly South America. I've been planning on taking my cat along with me, which i've read can actually be a good thing, and CAN be done, however, the more I read, the more confused I get.
I've been finding things that say "the animal will be destroyed..." and that scares me. I would hate to do something wrong and loose my little Chloe'. I really don't want to leave her behind.
I understand that she will need her shots, but how do I know exactly what shots she will need? And i've read about certificated and animal passports. Where and how do I get that in the United States? And any information on prices of this stuff is useful as well.
The idea of our trip is to NOT plan it out. Will that even be possible? I've read that some of this stuff may have to be done 3 months in advance, but I was looking at some random little island's page and I dont know that the information even pertained to me. Will I need to know exactly when and where i will be in the trip before I leave? I read that i'll have to send documents before I get there, but if the trip is a year long, and i'll be arrriving in say, Peru, for example, in one year, ... can I even do that? I assume I have to fish through each country individually and send paperwork to each. But I have no idea what these agencies are called or where to find them online.
So many questions... if anyone can offer any help, it's appreciated. It looks like I have to start getting this done IMMEDIATELY.
Thanks SO much.
Chloe' thanks you too.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-22-2009

imagine2frolic is on a distinguished road
You are aware that is an unhealthy time of the year to make the trip weather wise don't you? I know you live here in Florida, but being at sea in a cane, and being on land are 2 different animals.......i2f

BORROWED, No single one of us is as smart as all of us!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-22-2009
JLynn

JLynn is on a distinguished road
um... yeah, I know. It's definately coming up on hurricane season. I've given that some thought, but that's when the boat leaves...
looks like I might have to sing a song by the cure for a while to figure this one out.
Old 05-22-2009

curtis34208 is on a distinguished road
We cruised with 3 cats and a parott....and I've done some other sailing with dogs/cats aboard. From my experience, dogs & cats are not a big deal in most countries as long as you have current health certificates. However, be sure and check the laws of each country ahead of time. For example, we avoided Cayman Islands because of their rather extreme regulations regaring pets. Many countries wont even bother to look at your papers.