Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-28-2009
45.63N 122.67W

Calabego is on a distinguished road
I noticed that in the title, the question of while you are cruising was involved.
My question is for all that have answered, who uses a dehydrator while cruising, and what impact does this have on your electricity budget?
I like the rack and dry idea especially for that freshly caught fish you can't eat in one sitting.
Old 05-28-2009

badsanta is on a distinguished road
I think power would be an issue. But I feel it would be fairly easy to construct a collapsible solar drying box and use a small fan to increase circulation.
Old 05-28-2009

poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about
Try This

Freedom comes when youíre ready to sail away. True freedom comes when you donít have to return

Cut off from the land that bore us, betrayed by the land we find, where the brightest have gone before us and the dullest remain behind, .......but stand to your glasses, steady,.......tis all we have left to prize, raise a cup to the dead already, hurrah for the next that dies
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-31-2009

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about
Part of the reason that I have a dehydrator is to dry food so I have it when I go hiking, biking, camping, etc. Dehydrated food is very light weight in addition to storing well without refrigeration and it can be easily rehydrated on the trail when you are cooking it, so it is really a perfect trail food. The new dehydrator I am building to replace my old dehydrator is so I will have the ability to dry large buys of food at one time instead of having to buy smaller quantities, sometimes you just get 20lbs of something all at once on sale or from someone's garden, and I think it will be the same out in the world when I take it on the boat, I feel I am likely to find large buys of things and want to dehydrate them all at once to store them in bulk. I plan to spend a lot of time away from my boat when I am cruising and need trail foods.

I like the solar dehydrator idea but I have never tried solar dehydrating, I wonder how well that would work. Even if it just worked for some things like fruit and vegetables and not for other things like jerky, it would still help to have something that could be used part of the time without any electricity. My home built dehydrator uses a 60 watt light bulb, which can be powered from boat power, but it is still 60 watts that I wouldn't use if I did not have to.

Another reason I want a dehydrator on the boat is that my boat doesn't and won't have refrigeration, so it is harder for me to store chunks of dead animals. I either have to use canned meat, can meat myself, or I need to be able to turn meat into jerky and store it dehydrated.

Please support my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook