SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Insurance costs

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  EpicAdventure 
#1 ·
I'm working up a budget to go cruising in the next couple of years.

What should I budget for insurance?

The plan is to purchase a 50 - 75k boat.

Cruising area will be east coast and Caribbean.

#4 ·
We notice a difference between being insured for a specific passage (my friend just insured his cat to go from Hawaii to Tonga and it was around a thousand bucks for a specific length of time (4-6 mos?)and liveaboard insurance which runs us about 3800 a year for 150,000 hull value.
We haven't found any other carriers other than Zurich that specifically insure liveaboards. Many of the other liveaboards we know just don't tell their insurance carriers that they liveaboard. Some of the carriers that I talked to said just staying on your boat on weekends qualified you as liveaboard which didn't make sense to me.
Our policy is fairly extensive and averages 300+ a month and restricts where we can be certain times of the year.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.