SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

pirates

1K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  camaraderie 
#1 ·
who is afraid about pirates :p :cool:

#3 ·
being stupid and arrogant about pirates tends to lead to issues...

#4 ·
I have lived three years in Margarita island Venezuela, I have seen many boats attacked from groups of delinquents, ok we call pirates but of sure dangerous people that it does not hesitate to kill, i remenber a couple of american people retired from theirs work attacked not far way from Barranquilla coast, she was under a strong shock, sure she endured a sexual violence and his hausband was wildly hit; Hey guys this kind of trip are to high risk, need the right mentality, here in Italy says, VITA MEA MORTE TUA.
KEK

#5 ·
I agreed with you KEK. If you are between Venezuela (margarita) and Colombia (Barranquilla) you have to be afraid of pirates and everything but for example here in Florida, Atlantic coast it looks very safety! maybe because US control everything until Bahamas and Cuba. I guess it is good idea to carry guns aboard if you are an offshore boat.

#6 ·
and what will you do when you have to declare them in VZ and surrender them...or face huge fines and the loss of your boat if they are found undeclared? ALL of the "piracy" in the Caribe has been on boats at ANCHOR or docked in the last few years.
I am in FAVOR of guns for self protection...but it is not practical in the Caribe due to customs laws and authorities holding your guns until you check out of a country...which means you have to leave from the same port you checked in at...a MAJOR pain.
The only practical thing to do is to stay way from the bad areas.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.