Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2009

EpicAdventure is on a distinguished road
How late to leave Chesapeake South?

How late in the year could one feasibly leave the Chesapeake area south on the ICW?

How long will it take to find a boat? Tough question I know!! I know some people spend years looking! I think I'm starting to get a pretty good idea of what I'm after and I'm probably not that horribly picky. Is finding something during a weekend trip asking way to much? Or am I more realistically going to be spending a month looking full time?

My cruising plan is to quit my job, and cruise full time for approximately a year. It looks like the timing and finances are finally falling into place. It looks like it could be possible to do it by this fall.

So, hypothetically, say I go out for the Annapolis boat show in October, find a boat, make an offer, paper work, refitting etc. It quickly turns into Nov/Dec (or Nov/Dec of the following year ) Anyway, what are thoughts of heading south starting nov/dec?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-19-2009

CaptainForce will become famous soon enough
There's no simple answer for this. If your cockpit or steering station is weather protected and you're selecting your travel to match best weather, then there's no date too late for departure. Obviously, there's no answer in predicting how long it may take you to find your boat. 'take care and joy, Aythya crew
Old 06-19-2009
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
November 1 is the TRADITIONAL time to leave the Bay. I've left as late as 11/15 and it was chilly through NC...but fine thereafter. I've known folks who have done it in January...but it is miserable then...though do-able if you dress for it. A good dodger or better yet a cockpit enclosure makes things a lot better.
Old 06-20-2009
Flying Dutchman

Overstag is on a distinguished road
In Norway they have a saying: "There`s no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothing". You can sail in any kind of weather, your only concern should be the wind. I keep my boat in the water all year round in Holland and have sailed in rain, snow and sleet. For fun.
I wouldn`t be conccerned about the date to leave the Chesapeake. Just be sure you find the right boat, that`s way more important. You should be very picky ;-)
Old 06-20-2009
sv Mary T Pearson P35

sailingmum is on a distinguished road
There are a lot more boats to choose from in Florida.
Are you attached for any reason to buying in Annapolis ?
If not, start looking in Florida, you should be able to find a boat in a weekend or 2. .. There's a much bigger selection in Florida there... and then you're already there. Personally, I wouldn't feel like I was missing a whole lot (though it's beautiful) by buying in Florida.
Fairwinds
Old 06-20-2009

EpicAdventure is on a distinguished road
No, I'm not really that attached to Chesapeake area -- other than my sister lives there and it would be a good place to stay while looking.

Where in FL would you recommend using as a home base?
Old 06-20-2009
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Boats are cheaper the further south you go. Boats are better the further north you go!
Old 06-20-2009
Special Delivery

speciald is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to speciald
Work with a broker - the seller pays the commision ( although the owner will want more money). Tell him to find you the boat you want from the national data base, limit the list to those you like, then make your trip. Brokers like Walczak keep a web site of all boats available in the Chesapeake area for your reading and list advertised and sold prices of boats they have moved.

I've left for the Caribbean as late as the last week of November but Northeasters can be more frequent that late. We usually leave as soon as our insurance allows us to be South - November 1st.
Old 06-20-2009

CaptainForce will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
Boats are cheaper the further south you go. Boats are better the further north you go!
Camaraderie's statement is largely true; however it's important to understand why. Marginally seaworthy boats owned by captains with little funds can be kept in the warmer climates. The expense of removing and storing vessels in the north with a required separate living facility prevents this in the north. Beyond this, nothing prevents a person from finding excellent vessels in the south. 'take care and joy, Aythya crew
Old 06-20-2009

imagine2frolic is on a distinguished road
Daytona in February can be at 20 something degrees with the wind chill factor. Dressing for the weather of any temp can be fun for a days sail. If it is going to be an extended time it can excruciatingly painful. One thing you didn't mention is if you know how to sail?........i2f

BORROWED, No single one of us is as smart as all of us!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.