Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2009

GregX999 is on a distinguished road
Nor'Sea 27 - aft cabin useful?

Hi all,

I've been looking at cruising sailboats in the 27'-29' range and the Nor'Sea 27 is one of the ones at the top of my list due to it's reputation as blue-water boat (and also its looks - gotta love the lapstrake!).

But... I just can't figure out why the aft-cabin model is so much more prevalent/in-demand. Especially for liveaboards. It seems it'd be difficult to keep cool in hot weather or warm in cool/cold weather. And while good for the off-watch person to sleep in during a crossing, using it for sleeping while at anchor or dock would mean you can't see what's going on in the main cabin or easily access anything therein.

Any owners on here? I think I must just be missing something. Can someone please enlighten me!!

Thanks,
Greg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-10-2009

johnshasteen is on a distinguished road
Greg, two things I don't like about the Nor'Sea 27: The aft cabin will be a sauna if you sail in southern waters (and the closer you sleep to the centerline of the boat, the more comfortable you will be at sea) and the aft cabin turns it into a center cockpit boat and a 27 is way to short to be center cockpit, your perspective and view of your sails will be off and it will be a wetter boat in a seaway.
s/v Paloma, Bristol 29.9, #141
Slipped in Bahia Marina, easy access to Corpus Christi Bay and the Gulf of Mexico.
Old 07-10-2009

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
When cruising, we used our aft cabin pretty much for storage. Extra sail, jerry jugs, fenders, etc. At anchor, it was sometimes use for guest berthing.
It was a bit of an inconvenience to have to empty the cabin out to work on the engine.

The boat is actually a dry boat. The lapstrakes help in that regard.
One problem is that the cockpit seats were not made with drains. They need them. Water that comes aboard will sometimes flow back along the side deck and stay on the lee side cockpit seat.

I don't really know what the previous poster means about not being able to see the sails. Never was or is a problem that I can recall.

Last edited by knothead; 07-10-2009 at 01:04 PM.
Old 07-10-2009

johnshasteen is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by knothead View Post
I don't really know what the previous poster means about not being able to see the sails. Never was or is a problem that I can recall.

What I meant by that is, the farther back in the boat you are, the more comprehensive your field of vision for the entire boat becomes. i.e. In the Nor'Sea 27, the cockpit is down, as in an aft cockpit boat, but that gives you have an obscured view of the stern - and easily can you tweak your self steering vane (if you have one)?
Plus, the Nor'Sea aft cockpit is a much prettier boat!!
s/v Paloma, Bristol 29.9, #141
Slipped in Bahia Marina, easy access to Corpus Christi Bay and the Gulf of Mexico.

Last edited by johnshasteen; 07-10-2009 at 02:13 PM.
Old 07-21-2009
Old enough to know better

miatapaul is on a distinguished road
I was wondering how useful it is as well. They sure are nice looking! I posted a picture the other day to ask what it was. Saw it on the Hudson River.
Old 12-22-2011

Michaeledward is on a distinguished road
I am 25 and I own a norsea 27 without the aft cabin. I have never sailed sailed a norsea with an aft cabin. Therefore I will share my experience with my boat and maybe help to understand the benefit of both.

The nor sea is relatively small compared to many yachts, I would say that it can comfortably seat seat around 4 people. I felt like the aft cabin removed the captain to much from his guests and also removes a lot of seating area for people.

As a young man in a modern day, sailing for me is a return to the root, the aft cabin seemed to posh and comfortable. When I sail I feel I need the wind in my face etc.

The benefit I see in an aft cabin is the ability to build an actual pilot compartment. On my boat I have to have a crew member hold the tiller why I run below to check on charts depth gps etc. it would be nice to have that all in the pilot compartment protected from the weather. Also, I wouldn't take the nor sea that far north. The cold weather and ice cold water would make it unbearable.

Personally, the nor sea 27 to me speaks to me of an old sailing tradition. It's already a smaller boat. Not worth shrinking it down with a small pilot compartment.
Old 04-08-2012

Drummer Buoy is on a distinguished road
Re: Nor'Sea 27 - aft cabin useful?

I could not disagree more with the assessment of the usefulness of the aft cabin on the NorSea.
We find the cabin most useful in all conditions.

We live aboard full time and on a boat as small as this, we find it helpful to have several options to get away and be alone from time to time. This really opens up the boat for us.
On a passage, most of the time the off watch sleeps aft--this gives the watch free run of the boat--lights,radios, eating, reading etc---while not disturbing the off watch.

We feel strongly that on a passage, adequate rest is of paramount importance and with this set up we usually arrive rested and ready to go.

30 days at sea with two people in one cabin can get really old---it's nice to have a place to go.

There are a few times we must "abandon" the aft cabin----like REALLY bad weather--- and very fast downwind runs----being so far aft on a fast run is like sleeping at then end of "crack the whip" but to windward---very nice indeed---rather than trying to sleep in a forepeak(like sleeping at then end of a diving board.

We do have a "proper sea berth" amidships for when the going gets really rough--this--as stated above is close to the center of the boat where there is the lest motion.

After years of sailing this configuration i would never have anything other than a double ender/center cockpit-aft cabin/outboard rudder design.

I would be lying if i said I have never wanted a larger boat but over the last 33 years I have not found anything that will give me what I now have except a bit more elbow room for a rainy day and some extra water line(yeah--that would be nice). What I would lose in time and money are not worth the effort.

All of this of course is pure personal choice but I feel duty bound to present the "other point of view."
Cheers
Ed

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.