SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Lisbon or Gibraltar?

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  sailingdog 
#1 ·
Hi all,
I'm currently in Horta, Azores (highly reccomended!) and in need of some rigging work. Talked to Mid-Atlantic Yacht Services here and they were great...unfortunately, they were so honest, they said they could not help me! I am looking to replace my standing rigging after finding a broken strand in one of the lower shrouds. The rig had been repaired and is serviceable but it's time to replace it.

I've been looking at Lisbon or Gibraltar. Lisbon is a bit closer and, though I have not gotten a quote, the rigger I talked with has all the necessary wire and fittings. I have also heard that Lisbon id mUCH more expensive than Gib. Since it's Saturday, I haven't been able to contact Sheppard's (who has come highly reccomended) in Gib., but I've heard taht Gib is duty-free and cheaper in general than Lisbon.

Does anyone here have any experience with boatyards in either area or can anyone provide a feel of the costs associated with each place?

Thanks!
Jesse

#2 ·
I would recommend you go to Anything Sailing Forums - Powered by vBulletin and post this there. One of the founders of that forum is Portugese and can help you, as he would know who might be able to help you and how much it would cost. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.