Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2009

fordo is on a distinguished road
Cape May Canal

Four years ago I went through the Cape May Canal at high tide. Outside the ferry dock I touched bottom, though the charts said I had at least 8 feet of depth. (I draw 5'.) I was told that the ferries kick up the silt into a sandbar and that it was uncharted. Has anyone been through recently? Has it been dredged? Is this still a problem?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-21-2009

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road
It is a continuing problem and was still there last year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordo View Post
Four years ago I went through the Cape May Canal at high tide. Outside the ferry dock I touched bottom, though the charts said I had at least 8 feet of depth. (I draw 5'.) I was told that the ferries kick up the silt into a sandbar and that it was uncharted. Has anyone been through recently? Has it been dredged? Is this still a problem?
However, if you stay to the north side (closer to the ferries)it should not be a problem. It should stay 8'. The bar is opposite and "upstream" of the ferry terminal. I sometimes goes down to less than 3' pretty far out from the rocks.

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-21-2009

GaryHLucas is on a distinguished road
I went through in September of last year at high tide. I draw 5 feet also. Ran HARD aground right behind the ferries! Fortunately my keel is retractable and I had to reduce my draft to only 3'6" to get loose. You need to pass close to the ferries, where they go you can go, and no where else!

Gary H. Lucas
Old 07-21-2009
October Moon B43

MJBrown is on a distinguished road
We went through late July last year with a 5' draft and didn't have any problems. They were working on the canal on the north side just beyond the ferry terminal and we went through slow and cautiously at mid to low tide. We're heading down this weekend and will have to go outside as the stick is now 60' plus, too tall for the 55' bridges in the canal. Planning on staying just to the outside of Prissy Wicks shoal.
Old 07-22-2009
Apropos of Nothing

painkiller will become famous soon enough
Fordo,

I was through there at the end of May of this year and I didn't have any problems. I draw 5 feet. I didn't get real close to the ferries, but you definitely want to stay on their half or maybe even their third of the canal in that area. I wouldn't call it a relaxing transit, but I never touched bottom.

The charts have a box from the Army Corps of Engineers that describe the depths in each section of each segment of the canal. Read and follow that carefully.

Another thing I want to point out is that my chartplotter (a Garmin GPSMap 478) was a little off all through the canal. It put me about 20 feet or so (maybe even a boat-length) to the left or right of my true position, drawing me in shallows on the chart when I was actually in plenty of water. So it was off by enough to make me not rely too heavily on it.
Old 07-22-2009
Warm Weather Sailor

Vasco is on a distinguished road
Cape May Dredging:
The Dredge FULLERTON will be conducting dredging operations in the vicinity of the western end of the Cape May Canal and Cape May Harbor from 05 June until 14 August, 2009. The dredge will monitor VHF-FM Channels 13 and 16. Mariners are cautioned to stay clear of dredge, booster, floating (pontoon) and submerged pipelines, barges, derricks and operating wires associated with dredging and marine construction operations. (Fifth District LNM 23)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-22-2009
Weekend Sailor

edguy3 is on a distinguished road
We went through about a month ago just before low tide with 5.5' draft. We stayed between the center & south side of the canal and had no problems until we left the canal near Utesch's where we ran aground. (The deep water is along the seawall, not in the 'straight in' channel! )
Old 07-25-2009

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
We went tnrough the canal 15 days ago on our way to Mystc and Block Island. at low tide. Depth finder showed 8 ft on midline of channel with no problems

I

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 07-25-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
We did the Cape May Canal over the Memorial Day Weekend, during a delivery, and had good depth for the whole passage through, including a stop at Utsch's Marina.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 08-10-2009

ekenna is on a distinguished road
dredge cleared

I went back and forth on the canal on july 4th weekend and my depth was reading 2.8 feet ( my real close to grounding depth) and I draw 4.5. I saw the dredge there near the ferry. However the next friday the dredge had moved to in front of utchs and I do not remember being as anixous on the trip out the canal.