Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2009
SailNet Grom

svartsvensk is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by poopdeckpappy View Post
CD, why do you have 12 cans of Bushes Baked Beans over your TV ??
ROFL! Yeah, they look kinda naked without a banjo and a cowboy hat next to 'em!

CD, you've totally got the idea. That's essentially what I'm planning to do, though with a larger TV. :P

poopdeckpappy, audio books on the iPod are great, but nothing can replace lounging with a bottle of Pacifico (told you I was from San Diego) in one hand and a good book in the other, even if that good book is on the iPhone.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-31-2009
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by poopdeckpappy View Post
CD, why do you have 12 cans of Bushes Baked Beans over your TV ??
Dear Poopy,

Those are not backed bean. Those are signed instruction manuals from GreenPeace on how to deal with Tree Killers. And I am even more dissapointed in you portraying yourself to the kind sailor that started this thread as a liveaboard on a SAILboat. We all saw your motorboat, Poopy. Quit with the charade, already. Don't think that because you put a Tayana 37 on your avatar that any of us believe you don't live on that $50 million dollar stink pot. You gotta do better than that to be a part of Sailnet. Besides, I know the pic of the Tayana is fake. THere's not even a grill.

Some guys will go to any lengths, I tell ya...

- CD

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 07-31-2009
Abysmally Stupid

jorgenl is on a distinguished road
Hey Svartsvensk,

Check out this LED / LCD by samsung.

32" LED HDTV UN32B6000 32" 1080p LED HDTV - LED TV - Televisions | SAMSUNG

As far as baked beans, CD' got it right again - they are essential on any cruising boat.

P.S Whats with your sign in name anyway?
Old 07-31-2009
SailNet Grom

Hey Jorge,

That's a pretty bitchen' TV! Sadly, way, way out of my price range. I was thinking of this one.

I like the energy efficiency of the LED tv's, but they're still very spendy. Eventually, I'll be trading up, but in the meanwhile, I think the VIERA would do just fine. I'll have to measure before I buy the TV to make sure it'll fit, I may need to go with the 32, but I think I can squeeze the 37 in. It does have a VERY narrow bezel.

As for my s/n, "Svart Svensk" is Swedish for "The Black Swede". My Grandfather is from Sweden, and we still have family there. I'm not black, but I have very dark brown hair and beard, with a fairly tan complexion too for someone of Northern European descent, and I have some distinctively Swedish facial features, hence, "The Black Swede". Plus, I think it sounds cool.
Old 07-31-2009
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by svartsvensk View Post
Hey Jorge,

That's a pretty bitchen' TV! Sadly, way, way out of my price range. I was thinking of this one.

I like the energy efficiency of the LED tv's, but they're still very spendy. Eventually, I'll be trading up, but in the meanwhile, I think the VIERA would do just fine. I'll have to measure before I buy the TV to make sure it'll fit, I may need to go with the 32, but I think I can squeeze the 37 in. It does have a VERY narrow bezel.

As for my s/n, "Svart Svensk" is Swedish for "The Black Swede". My Grandfather is from Sweden, and we still have family there. I'm not black, but I have very dark brown hair and beard, with a fairly tan complexion too for someone of Northern European descent, and I have some distinctively Swedish facial features, hence, "The Black Swede". Plus, I think it sounds cool.
You TV will most likely have to run off a Inverter if at hook. You don't want to have to fire up a generator every time you want to watch tv. As such, power consuption on a boat is critical. Keep that in mind as you work through these issues.

- CD

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 07-31-2009
Abysmally Stupid

jorgenl is on a distinguished road
Yep - definetely cool s/n.

I am Swedish myself, hence the question.

Good luck with the TV. I went with the Samsung since it is only 1.2" thick and not very intrusive. Picture quality is amazing.

Cheers / Jorgen
Old 07-31-2009
SailNet Grom

Ah! Takk du, Jorgen! I had thought your s/n was "Jorge NL", I didn't realize it was Jorgen L! Hah! Mykket brå!

Clearly the more efficient Samsung is better for a boat, when at anchor, I'll have to look at the power draw for the TV's etc. I have an inverter in my Truck, but I may need a better one for the boat, and maybe even an extra battery or two. ...this alone probably justifies spending more on a better, more efficient TV, doesn't it?
Old 07-31-2009
SailNet Grom

Jorgen, I can't find any information on how much power in wattage that TV actually uses! The Panasonic I was looking at uses 108 watts avg when on, and is rated at 150 peak. Not too terribly bad for a 37".

Now, on to a more shocking development. My beloved PS3 - uses as much as 200 watts!!!!!!!!!! Yikes! That's terribly inefficient! Compare that to a Mac Mini which runs on average like 28 watts or so I read... I may have to sell the PS3, buy a mac mini, and install a blu-ray drive. Orrr, maybe not, when docked, I can run all of these things. If I'm cruising and want to watch a movie, I'll have to time it right or just use my laptop.
Old 07-31-2009
SailNet Grom

Another update - this Hunter 36 just popped up in Annapolis, as did this Catalina 30. The hunter layout from what I've seen is awesome, but is a 1980 too old for this brand?

I'm still looking at some Cal 34's as well, this one I mentioned, and this one looks pretty decent, but it has a terrible paint job for a Chargers fan. :P

I've also got an eye on this Irwin 32.5, but am leery as the pics don't look terribly recent, and I REALLY don't want to open the can of worms that is a boat out of water for year after year.
Old 08-01-2009

scottyt is on a distinguished road
the 80's hunters where and are still are the best hunters, i have a 83 27 footer. if you want more info on the hunters go to here and start reading