Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2009

poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about
Erps, I think that was preperation H and the acticle was " A Tale of Two Rearendings

Freedom comes when youíre ready to sail away. True freedom comes when you donít have to return

Cut off from the land that bore us, betrayed by the land we find, where the brightest have gone before us and the dullest remain behind, .......but stand to your glasses, steady,.......tis all we have left to prize, raise a cup to the dead already, hurrah for the next that dies
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-06-2009

Capnblu is on a distinguished road
Sorry Sailormann, guns are not illegal in Canada, restricted weapons maybe. You can buy ammunition at Canadian tire for pete sake. Take a PAL course, buy any gun you want.

I Don't Know! I Don't Know!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-06-2009

scottyt is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
your right jack you cant import new ones same way in the US they cant make new full autos for cilivians, the ones that are in canada or made in canada with the proper license can be bought and sold

there are guns that americans cant buy but canadians can norinco m1a are an example.

i am not saying the laws in either country are right or wrong just what the laws are.
Old 08-06-2009

scottyt is on a distinguished road
to the mods

i think this thread is too far off course, and it should be moved to the politics section, and i am just as guilty as some others are

or lets start a new one there
Old 08-06-2009

SSBN506 is on a distinguished road
I don’t see a lot of people saying that guns should be banned. Just people saying they don’t like the pro gun people saying they are such a big deal. “Saying thing like I have guns to keep governments in check”. “I am freer then you are because I have a gun”. “My family is safer than yours is because I have guns.”

If the wording of the first post had been something like. “For the boaters out there who decide they want to carry a gun on board and their laws allowed it what do you carry” this discussion would not be like this.

I haven’t seen any of the people say guns should be banned in the US and try to make arguments why. Just they don’t by the arguments gun owner justify as their reason for owning them because the reasons suggest if you don’t have a gun you are doing sum disserves to your country and family.

Last edited by SSBN506; 08-06-2009 at 07:22 AM.
Old 08-06-2009
No longer on Sailnet

chall03 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyt View Post
to the mods

i think this thread is too far off course, and it should be moved to the politics section, and i am just as guilty as some others are

or lets start a new one there
I think there are a fair few threads like this there already

'Life is either a daring adventure or nothing' - Helen Keller

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-06-2009

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailormann View Post
Don't bring your guns to Canada - they are illegal and we don't want them or the attitudes that go with them.
First of all: No, they aren't necessarily illegal. (Tho I suspect you wish they all were.) Secondly: You speak for all Canadians, do you? That will come as quite a shock to the thousands of Canadians that own firearms, shoot and hunt with them. (Incl. the estimated thousands that have felt your Government's failed registration program ridiculous and have simply ignored it.)

Btw: To kind of get back on-topic: I don't carry or have firearms aboard, other than the CG-mandated flare pistol, when we sail. About half the area of the lakes and rivers in which we sail are Canadian waters, and the Canadian government takes a dim view of undeclared firearms brought into their country--even if it is only because you crossed an invisible line in the water. I respect their wishes and I wish to keep my property.

Jim
Old 08-06-2009
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough
WOW! Four pages and still going strong.. I started reading this thread yesterday, and got pulled away before I could finish...

Here are my $0.02:
I don't own a gun, and probably never will - except a pellet rifle (is this considered a firearm?) for the damn squirrels that keep raiding The Admiral's garden.

However, I would like to thank those of you that DO carry guns on your vessel. You are providing the "shadow of doubt" in the mind of those who may wish to do harm to me, my companions, or my posessions. Thus, I have a lower likelyhood of an "incident," and it costs me nuthin'.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105 Certified Instructor - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems
Old 08-06-2009
the pointy end is the bow

erps will become famous soon enough erps will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Help me out there EPRS, Not being a San Franciscan, I have no idea what you are talking about.
Sorry for the confusion. San Francisco passed a handgun ban a few years ago. There is evidence the mayor knew it couldn't be defended in court but committed resource to the law's defense anyway. The NRA sued, won and was awarded attorney fees from the city. I recollect reading a quote from the mayor indicating he knew the law was indefensible. When I looked for it yesterday, the hit I found was from a blog from a pro-gunner calling the bill "preperation H." instead of Proposition H.

NRA-ILA ::

San Francisco Pays NRA $380,000 for Successful Proposition H Lawsuits

Total Tab to City for Unsuccessful Defense of Illegal Gun Ban Approaches $800,000

La Conner, WA

Boating for over 25 years, some of them successfully.
Old 08-06-2009

WanderingStar is on a distinguished road
LMAO. That's where I sail now. Though I wish I'd had at least a water balloon when a punk on a jetski sprayed my yawl.