So who packs a weapon on board? - Page 2 - SailNet Community

   Search Sailnet:

 forums  store  


Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here






Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #11  
Old 08-03-2009
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: VA
Posts: 2,022
Thanks: 1
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 9
PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
I have no plans to visit foreign waters in the near future, but weighing the remote possiblity of a "ballistic emergency" against the certainty of having to check into whatever foreign country you visit, I'd err on the side of of the law, even if I disagree with them. Based on the experinences of others, it seems you're far more likely to be vicimized by goverment officials for having a means of self defense, than you are to need the means of self defense. It sux either way, but the odds of having a problem with the law are higher in my estimation and the consequences may be as bad or worse than being robbed.

Its interesting that I've never felt the need to have any of my many firearms aboard the boat. In fact the only reason I might ever have one on board is because I do often carry when traveling and I wouldn't want to leave a firearm in the car. I've traveled the US pretty widely on my Harley and carried a 9mm Khar K9 or .45 cal 1911 every inch of the way, including in juristictions that would throw me under the jail for having the audacity to posses a means of self defense. However, I always felt far more exposed on the bike than I do when on the boat and felt the risk of running afoul of the law was less than the risk of an encounter with some nefarious sort in that case. Everyone that believes in the right of self defense will have to do their own calculus to weigh the risks and take their chances. I believe the laws should not deny the right of self defense but the fact is they do in large measure and carry or not you are taking on a level of risk.

Just a final note about shooting into the water, its a dangerous activity because bullets can skip and travel long distances. There have been cases of people on shore being killed by a ricochet from someone shooting rifles at targets in the water. I can't see much of a reason to be shooting at fish or other targets on the water.
__________________
PalmettoSailor
s/v Palmetto Moon
1991 Catalina 36
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #12  
Old 08-03-2009
painkiller's Avatar
Apropos of Nothing
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,740
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 8
painkiller will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagine2frolic View Post
Come on Pain, Let's sit back, and watch people beat their heads against the wall. AGAIN!..hahahahahahahahaha.......i2f
I must be getting old. I used to enjoy a good train wreck.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #13  
Old 08-03-2009
chall03's Avatar
No longer on Sailnet
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Sydney
Posts: 1,513
Thanks: 14
Thanked 21 Times in 18 Posts
Rep Power: 12
chall03 will become famous soon enough
Now Pain, where is your sense of fun??

What we need is a thread about someone wanting to circumnavigate in a bluewater production yacht for under 2k preferably a Tartan, who will be 'packing heat' around the globe, his boat complete with Solarstik on the Pushpit, 18 Epirbs for when he runs out of ice and a picture of Obama on one side of the Cabintop and dear Smack on the other
__________________
* No longer on Sailnet. Reach me by PM.

'Life is either a daring adventure or nothing' - Helen Keller



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #14  
Old 08-03-2009
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: VA
Posts: 2,022
Thanks: 1
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 9
PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by chall03 View Post
Now Pain, where is your sense of fun??

What we need is a thread about someone wanting to circumnavigate in a bluewater production yacht for under 2k preferably a Tartan, who will be 'packing heat' around the globe, his boat complete with Solarstik on the Pushpit, 18 Epirbs for when he runs out of ice and a picture of Obama on one side of the Cabintop and dear Smack on the other
Don't forget the Ronca and Manson Supreme.
__________________
PalmettoSailor
s/v Palmetto Moon
1991 Catalina 36
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #15  
Old 08-03-2009
Zanshin's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Germany
Posts: 2,165
Thanks: 0
Thanked 14 Times in 14 Posts
Rep Power: 9
Zanshin is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by nk235 View Post
...however for once wouldn't it just be nice if someone could just reply to what the man asked...
Yes, I do.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #16  
Old 08-03-2009
chall03's Avatar
No longer on Sailnet
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Sydney
Posts: 1,513
Thanks: 14
Thanked 21 Times in 18 Posts
Rep Power: 12
chall03 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by nk235 View Post
for once wouldn't it just be nice if someone could just reply to what the man asked? He simply asked to respond if you carried a gun aboard or not and specifically said did not want to discuss the politics of it. ,
.........
See for me he kinda negated that request when he made the following obviously political, obviously inflamatory statement...

Quote:
Originally Posted by docrn View Post
Of course depending upon where you are cruising having a weapon on board may be more trouble than it is worth (unfortunately) in countries where freedom and the rights of private citizens mean nothing to thier governments.
You can't say something like that and then add but I don't want to get into the politics of it............I mean please.

No I don't carry a firearm. It would be legally difficult/impossible here. If I was cruising internationally, I would think hard about vessel security but there are other safety issues that would concern me a great deal more.
__________________
* No longer on Sailnet. Reach me by PM.

'Life is either a daring adventure or nothing' - Helen Keller



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #17  
Old 08-03-2009
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 6
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
Pumalin is on a distinguished road
OH my god!!! Now I am more afraid on you DOCRN than the pirates. You forget to add in your arsenal some granades and rocket lunchers, "dispacht halibut" whats that????

I hope I dont see you in the trades men,.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #18  
Old 08-03-2009
painkiller's Avatar
Apropos of Nothing
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,740
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 8
painkiller will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by midlifesailor View Post
Don't forget the Ronca and Manson Supreme.
And a pair of bulldogs!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #19  
Old 08-03-2009
Zanshin's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Germany
Posts: 2,165
Thanks: 0
Thanked 14 Times in 14 Posts
Rep Power: 9
Zanshin is on a distinguished road
In international waters you may only carry armament aboard that your vessel's flag allows. Thus grenades and rocket launchers are out for most cruisers (although I must admit that I'm a Class III dealer and could purchase aforementioned grenades - but legally only keep them on a US flagged vessel).
Thus, when travelling internationally, you will not only need to declare such when entering other countries, but may also be asked to legitimate your possession of such.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #20  
Old 08-03-2009
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: New York
Posts: 5,421
Thanks: 0
Thanked 14 Times in 14 Posts
Rep Power: 14
bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by chall03 View Post
I am a citizen of one of those 'countries'. You may of heard of us......we have the Kangaroos and the BBQ shrimp - although people often get us confused with Austria. Now please don't presume to speak on behalf of our freedoms and rights, because for what it is worth the vast majority of our citizens are very happy with Australia's stance on firearms.
We in the USA do not think it is very sporting to harvest shrimp for BBQ with shotguns, As I heard it's done down under.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Never Forgotten

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

 
Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may post attachments
You may edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A Simple Fender Board sailingdog Gear & Maintenance 6 04-28-2009 10:55 AM
An all-purpose settee berth GoodOldBoat Gear & Maintenance 0 12-06-2007 08:51 AM
Can Be a Big Job - Support Board Freesail99 Gear & Maintenance 17 06-13-2007 12:32 PM
Fire on Board! Don Casey Seamanship Articles 0 07-14-2003 08:00 PM
Cardiac Emergencies on Board William Mahaffy Seamanship Articles 0 05-03-2000 08:00 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:24 PM.

Add to My Yahoo!         
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
(c) Marine.com LLC 2000-2012

The SailNet.com store is owned and operated by a company independent of the SailNet.com forum. You are now leaving the SailNet forum. Click OK to continue or Cancel to return to the SailNet forum.