Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2009

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
I have no plans to visit foreign waters in the near future, but weighing the remote possiblity of a "ballistic emergency" against the certainty of having to check into whatever foreign country you visit, I'd err on the side of of the law, even if I disagree with them. Based on the experinences of others, it seems you're far more likely to be vicimized by goverment officials for having a means of self defense, than you are to need the means of self defense. It sux either way, but the odds of having a problem with the law are higher in my estimation and the consequences may be as bad or worse than being robbed.

Its interesting that I've never felt the need to have any of my many firearms aboard the boat. In fact the only reason I might ever have one on board is because I do often carry when traveling and I wouldn't want to leave a firearm in the car. I've traveled the US pretty widely on my Harley and carried a 9mm Khar K9 or .45 cal 1911 every inch of the way, including in juristictions that would throw me under the jail for having the audacity to posses a means of self defense. However, I always felt far more exposed on the bike than I do when on the boat and felt the risk of running afoul of the law was less than the risk of an encounter with some nefarious sort in that case. Everyone that believes in the right of self defense will have to do their own calculus to weigh the risks and take their chances. I believe the laws should not deny the right of self defense but the fact is they do in large measure and carry or not you are taking on a level of risk.

Just a final note about shooting into the water, its a dangerous activity because bullets can skip and travel long distances. There have been cases of people on shore being killed by a ricochet from someone shooting rifles at targets in the water. I can't see much of a reason to be shooting at fish or other targets on the water.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-03-2009
Apropos of Nothing

painkiller will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagine2frolic View Post
Come on Pain, Let's sit back, and watch people beat their heads against the wall. AGAIN!..hahahahahahahahaha.......i2f
I must be getting old. I used to enjoy a good train wreck.
Old 08-03-2009
No longer on Sailnet

chall03 will become famous soon enough
Now Pain, where is your sense of fun??

What we need is a thread about someone wanting to circumnavigate in a bluewater production yacht for under 2k preferably a Tartan, who will be 'packing heat' around the globe, his boat complete with Solarstik on the Pushpit, 18 Epirbs for when he runs out of ice and a picture of Obama on one side of the Cabintop and dear Smack on the other

'Life is either a daring adventure or nothing' - Helen Keller

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-03-2009

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by chall03 View Post
Now Pain, where is your sense of fun??

What we need is a thread about someone wanting to circumnavigate in a bluewater production yacht for under 2k preferably a Tartan, who will be 'packing heat' around the globe, his boat complete with Solarstik on the Pushpit, 18 Epirbs for when he runs out of ice and a picture of Obama on one side of the Cabintop and dear Smack on the other
Don't forget the Ronca and Manson Supreme.
Old 08-03-2009

Zanshin is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by nk235 View Post
...however for once wouldn't it just be nice if someone could just reply to what the man asked...
Yes, I do.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 08-03-2009
No longer on Sailnet

chall03 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by nk235 View Post
for once wouldn't it just be nice if someone could just reply to what the man asked? He simply asked to respond if you carried a gun aboard or not and specifically said did not want to discuss the politics of it. ,
See for me he kinda negated that request when he made the following obviously political, obviously inflamatory statement...

Quote:
Originally Posted by docrn View Post
Of course depending upon where you are cruising having a weapon on board may be more trouble than it is worth (unfortunately) in countries where freedom and the rights of private citizens mean nothing to thier governments.
You can't say something like that and then add but I don't want to get into the politics of it............I mean please.

No I don't carry a firearm. It would be legally difficult/impossible here. If I was cruising internationally, I would think hard about vessel security but there are other safety issues that would concern me a great deal more.

'Life is either a daring adventure or nothing' - Helen Keller

Old 08-03-2009

Pumalin is on a distinguished road
OH my god!!! Now I am more afraid on you DOCRN than the pirates. You forget to add in your arsenal some granades and rocket lunchers, "dispacht halibut" whats that????

I hope I dont see you in the trades men,.
Old 08-03-2009
Apropos of Nothing

painkiller will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by midlifesailor View Post
Don't forget the Ronca and Manson Supreme.
And a pair of bulldogs!
Old 08-03-2009

Zanshin is on a distinguished road
In international waters you may only carry armament aboard that your vessel's flag allows. Thus grenades and rocket launchers are out for most cruisers (although I must admit that I'm a Class III dealer and could purchase aforementioned grenades - but legally only keep them on a US flagged vessel).
Thus, when travelling internationally, you will not only need to declare such when entering other countries, but may also be asked to legitimate your possession of such.

Old 08-03-2009

bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by chall03 View Post
I am a citizen of one of those 'countries'. You may of heard of us......we have the Kangaroos and the BBQ shrimp - although people often get us confused with Austria. Now please don't presume to speak on behalf of our freedoms and rights, because for what it is worth the vast majority of our citizens are very happy with Australia's stance on firearms.
We in the USA do not think it is very sporting to harvest shrimp for BBQ with shotguns, As I heard it's done down under.

Never Forgotten