Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2009

lancelot9898 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by LWinters View Post
. I'll say this today, twin bulldog thread aside, an animal on board is the better of the two forms of self defense on my boat.
Lee
Your post is one that makes the most sense of any on this thread and I totally agree. I lived aboard my sailboat for over 20 years and met many world cruisers. One in particular from New Zealand stated the same thing as you about dogs. They had a white German Shepard named Pero and it was worth its weight in gold. However they also crusied with a rifle and had like you to endure the hassles of checking it in at customs. One place where they brought it out was about 15 miles off shore from one of the islands in the Carribbean when aproached by a small boat with a large outboard and two "fishermen" asking for water. No fishing gear was aboard, but there were a couple of macheties on the floor. The white German Shepard was barking like mad as the "fishmen" rode along side the boat asking for water and when they acted like they wanted to board even with the dog and all, Alex asked Kay to go below and bring the rifle up. He did not point the rifle at them but merely sat behind the wheel with rifle pointed in the air. They finally got the idea and promplty turned their boat and sped away.

The decision to carry or not is a highly individual decision and while I carry while back packing in the wilderness there are other times in remote regions that I do not. The most dangerous animal be it on land or on sea is the human variety.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-25-2009

sifucarl is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to sifucarl
Are you a sheep...or a sheepdog?

If you want to be a sheep, that is okay, but understand the price you pay. When the wolf comes, you and yours are going to die if there is not a sheepdog there. If you want to be a wolf, you can be one, but the sheepdogs are going to hunt you down and you will never have rest. If you want to be a sheepdog and walk the warrior's path, then you must make a conscious and moral decision to prepare yourself for the moment when the wolf comes knocking at the door.
LTC (RET) Dave Grossman(edited)

If you want to read the whole article visit On Sheep, Wolves and Sheepdogs
Old 08-25-2009
the pointy end is the bow

erps will become famous soon enough erps will become famous soon enough
That sheepdog analogy is used all the time in law enforcement.
La Conner, WA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Boating for over 25 years, some of them successfully.
Old 08-25-2009
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Fatty just did an article in the new Cruising World on this. It is worth a read for those seriously considering packing or not packing.

- CD

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 08-25-2009
Apropos of Nothing

painkiller will become famous soon enough
Check out the July L&A, too. An article about the flare gun conversion kits and a story from cruisers who were attacked unprovoked off Venezuela. The assailants approached and began firing. There was no opportunity to just let the robbers take what they want and leave.
Old 08-26-2009

RhosynMor is on a distinguished road
Rhosyn Mor is a Brit boat, so we do not carry guns on board. I have no opinion as to if you should carry guns or not, thats up to you.... we do know cruisers who carry guns, and do not judge them on that basis. We understand however that we are self sufficient and should not leave ourselves utterly defenseless, there is nothing we can do on Rhosyn Mor about people firing at us from a long ways off, but if they board, they might be in for a bit of a shock, creative minds cruising have a LOT of time to work out how to defend themselves
fianlly, just as we europeans do not like having americans views on guns foisted on us, we should not do the same thing to americans, both views are valid
Old 08-26-2009

MoonSailer is on a distinguished road
No easy answers. But if it is legal having a gun onboard just gives you another option on how to deal with a situation. IMHO nonviolent is the way to go. But as I learned in grade school just because I don't want to fight doesn't mean the class bully doesn't want to fight. When I hit the bully in the face with my geography book he left me alone. Heck he was a good 8" taller than me and outweighed me by 40 pounds. The big geography book gave me an edge.
Old 08-27-2009

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by sifucarl View Post
Are you a sheep...or a sheepdog?

If you want to be a sheep, that is okay, but understand the price you pay. When the wolf comes, you and yours are going to die if there is not a sheepdog there. If you want to be a wolf, you can be one, but the sheepdogs are going to hunt you down and you will never have rest. If you want to be a sheepdog and walk the warrior's path, then you must make a conscious and moral decision to prepare yourself for the moment when the wolf comes knocking at the door.
LTC (RET) Dave Grossman(edited)

Very nicely put, thanks for sharing
Old 08-27-2009

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
My concern is that if you shoot someone outside the boat, you will likely get charged with murder. So you wait until they are inside the boat? What is it like discharging a 38 or shotgun inside a small enclosed space?
Old 08-27-2009

Zanshin is on a distinguished road
Xort - self-defense laws and use of force are different in each country and each state. The inside-or-outside aspect is of secondary interest, for the USA one can usually use the "If you or a reasonable person placed in the same situation were afraid for their life" then use of force to stop the threat is justified. The inside or outside the boat is more a matter of legal interpretation on whether you had an option to using force, i.e. if escape might have been an alternate solution as opposed to using force (be it lethal or otherwise). Discharging a small arms firearm in close quarters will affect your ears but not otherwise impact you. Pepper spray, OTOH, when used indoors will probably affect you almost as much as the pepperee; and you will spend a lot of time and money making your boat insides livable again.