Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2009

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
xort - loud with a 38 and with a shotgun add cleaning blood and guts and fixing woodwork etc if you shoot a bit wide. In the US if someone enters your house to rob you and you shoot him you're protecting your home. In Canada in the same situation unless he has a weapon you're going to jail.
Brian
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-27-2009
NON member

AE28 is on a distinguished road
Zan...
I'm not sure pepper spray is legal in Canada?
???
Paul
Old 08-27-2009
SaltwaterSuzi/CapnLarry

LarryandSusanMacDonald will become famous soon enough
Personally have not touched a gun since I left Viet Nam. Never will. Also, if I had a gun on board, Suzi would probably shoot me. Accidentally, of course.

Seriously, though, when we were first married and were dirt dwellers, I had a job which took me to work at three in the morning. One morning, when the computer wasn't working (Happened often, this was 1970) (Really) I came home at about 5:00 AM. Suzi had had a bad dream and thought someone was trying to break into the house. I came in through the back door, quietly and did not turn on a light so as not to wake her. She was awake though and sitting in the corner with a butcher knife.

That was close enough for me. Suzi is a force to be reckoned with. If she had had a gun...

Count me lucky to be alive and I fall resoundingly in the no guns for me category.

"A sailboat is a fickle mistress. Youíve got to buy her things. Youíve got to understand everything about her. What you donít know sheíll use against you." -Captain Larry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 08-27-2009
the pointy end is the bow

erps will become famous soon enough erps will become famous soon enough
Quote:
I came in through the back door, quietly and did not turn on a light so as not to wake her. She was awake though and sitting in the corner with a butcher knife.
Good illustration. Wonder what Suzi was thinking about her choices in defensive tools while her back was pressed against the wall though?
La Conner, WA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Boating for over 25 years, some of them successfully.
Old 08-27-2009

Sandflea is on a distinguished road
Howdy All,

My knowledge of sailing is nill but of firearms quite extensive for 10 years in the Army. If I were to select a personal defense sidearm that would be used in close quarters, it would be a .40 S&W semi automatic with hollow point rounds. Many police organizations are moving this direction because it provides excellent stopping power and the hollow point will not travel completely through your target thus minimizing the chance for collateral damage. If your target is of the human variety, be prepared to deal with the consequences, moral and legal, of taking a life.

If I were to chose a firearm for hunting, many shotguns have alternate barrels, chokes and shells for a wide variety of applications, too many to get into. I would look into one such multi application rifle/shotgun setup. Any firearms dealer can point you in the right direction for what application you are considering.

Of course, I would suggest that if you do decide to arm yourself for personal defence, that you attend a Close Quarters Combat course and master your weapon. Hope this helps anyone considering the carrying of a firearm.
All that being said, when I do begin cruising, the only guns I plan to have on board are of the flare and spear variety.

Take Care,

Ben

Last edited by Sandflea; 08-27-2009 at 04:45 PM.
Old 08-27-2009

MoonSailer is on a distinguished road
Pretty much the only legal defense for shooting someone is self defense and you had no other reasonable alternative. I read about a guy who shot someone breaking into his home. He admitted that he could have left out of the back door. He was convicted of murder. Of course being in jail is often preferred to being dead!!!! Not to mention having your loved ones murdered. But if you shoot someone don't expect to be treated as a hero. On the other hand I read of an old man and his wife who used a gun to stop a burgler in their house. While they were waiting for the police the robber told about his lousey life and the old man laid down his weapon. The burgler grabbed the gun and shot the husband and wife. The old man died but the wife lived to tell the tale. FWIW the burgler was caught and convicted of murder. Take home lesson.... if you are kind hearted and don't shoot the criminal ..don't think that they will return the favor.
Old 08-27-2009
the pointy end is the bow

erps will become famous soon enough erps will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Pretty much the only legal defense for shooting someone is self defense and you had no other reasonable alternative
might want to look into that further (if you're in America). You will probably find it's more like a reasonable fear of death or grevious bodily injury.
La Conner, WA

Boating for over 25 years, some of them successfully.
Old 08-27-2009

nordr is on a distinguished road
Politics-free response: .38 revolver. Nobody needs a shotgun on the water and a semi-auto is like an over-engineered boat; too many moving parts too far away from a qualified mechanic.
Old 08-28-2009

seafrontiersman is on a distinguished road
nordr:

Couldn't disagree with you more about the shotgun, it has four distinct advantages:

1. Great firepower at close range.
2. Relative simplicity and robust action.
3. Buckshot won't travel half a mile and kill somone.
4. The sound of someone racking a shell in a shotgun
scares the fertilizer out of bad guys.

I've done over a hundred boarding when I was with the Navy and I was issued a shotgun so I keep one aboard my little slice of heaven. I do agree about having a revolver though I personally use a .357.

Fair winds and following seas!

Michael
Old 08-28-2009
Oathkeepers member

jerryrlitton will become famous soon enough
Send a message via ICQ to jerryrlitton Send a message via MSN to jerryrlitton Send a message via Yahoo to jerryrlitton Send a message via Skype™ to jerryrlitton
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandflea View Post

Many police organizations are moving this direction because it provides excellent stopping power and the hollow point will not travel completely through your target thus minimizing the chance for collateral damage.

Ben

Of course hollow points will travel through a body. Not all the time obviously. You always need to know where the round may go before it stops. I agree with the rest of it though.

Jerry

A Kings Trade
Dewey Lamdin

Money canít buy you happiness.
But it buys you a big enough yacht to
sail you right up to it!
(Johnny Depp)