Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2009

imagine2frolic is on a distinguished road
nuffofTexas,

I put a capitol T there, because it is what Texas deserves. Imagine is a great song, and my boat is named exactly that, because it would be great if we could all get along. Unfortunately the bad guys are nothing less than predators, and in my mind deserve what they get....hopefully all bad!

Well said, and many great points. I like the way Texas thinks when it comes to the bad guys. I only wish the rest of the country would catch on. If the law abiding citizen has his weapons taken. Only the bad guys will be carrying, and they will be mighty bold. We can't let that happen.

As far as the original question. Some countries it's illegal, and DO NOT get caught. Others allow it, just live by their rules. It's a personal decision to carry. For some it may be wrong, but for others it may right........i2f

BORROWED, No single one of us is as smart as all of us!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-01-2009
Oathkeepers member

jerryrlitton will become famous soon enough
Send a message via ICQ to jerryrlitton Send a message via MSN to jerryrlitton Send a message via Yahoo to jerryrlitton Send a message via Skype™ to jerryrlitton

A Kings Trade
Dewey Lamdin

Money canít buy you happiness.
But it buys you a big enough yacht to
sail you right up to it!
(Johnny Depp)

Old 09-01-2009

sarafinadh is on a distinguished road
a weapon on board?

oh of COURSE I pack... what a silly question... I actually have a few...

my Rapier wit,
a keen edged tongue,
irony discharged thru double barrels,

sarcasm aside I actually do really count on talking my way out of most trouble...

Safe is a state of mind, not a location on a google map.

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
Old 09-01-2009
Oathkeepers member

Send a message via ICQ to jerryrlitton Send a message via MSN to jerryrlitton Send a message via Yahoo to jerryrlitton Send a message via Skype™ to jerryrlitton
Sometimes "State of mind" can blind a person if their eyes are closed. I do appreciate a "rapier wit" however I would not rely on it too heavily when the talking is through.

Jerry

A Kings Trade
Dewey Lamdin

sail you right up to it!
(Johnny Depp)

Last edited by jerryrlitton; 09-02-2009 at 08:10 AM.
Old 09-02-2009

sarafinadh is on a distinguished road
ahhh... well for me it goes without saying that positioning yourself so that you avoid being vulnerable is part of that state of mind.

imitating ostriches is not.

47 years of city living has left me with highly refined situational sensitivity and as I am teaching my 16 year old daughter;

you have to make yourself safe no matter where you are. no particular place is safe or dangerous in and of itself. some places have more apparent risk, but bad stuff happens everywhere. How you position yourself will be a big factor in whether or not the bad stuff happens to you, or someone else.

All that aside I don't have any objection to actual black iron weapons, I am just not experienced in their use and feel that my weapons of choice serve me better. I have no doubt that should I ever anticipate a situation where being armed would be advantageous I would, after having been trained in their use, have no trouble at all shooting dead someone who wanted to do something bad to me or mine. but I'm mean that way ; -)

Most likely in a cruising situation... Himself and I will have about 60 lbs of high strung canine with us. She isn't very welcoming if we are not very welcoming... so I don't think I would buck the global trend towards discouraging personal weapons of the percussive type.

just sic Cara on 'em.

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...

Last edited by sarafinadh; 09-02-2009 at 12:28 AM.
Old 09-02-2009
Oathkeepers member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chall03 View Post
Feel free to step in whenever you like. This site thrives on unsolicited editorials.
As far as they go, yours was one of the more reasonable and well constructed. I am from Australia, things are alot different here to Texas and so my views on this are probably more aligned with the younger Utopian Peaceniks. What you say however does makes alot of sense. My mind is by no means made up on this but I do take your point.

Welcome to Sailnet.
I used to work in NT (Darwin) which by the way is VERY close to TX as far as attitude was concerned. Needless to say I felt very at home there.

A Kings Trade
Dewey Lamdin

sail you right up to it!
(Johnny Depp)

Old 09-02-2009
Oathkeepers member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarafinadh View Post
ahhh... well for me it goes without saying that positioning yourself so that you avoid being vulnerable is part of that state of mind.

imitating ostriches is not.

47 years of city living has left me with highly refined situational sensitivity and as I am teaching my 16 year old daughter;

you have to make yourself safe no matter where you are. no particular place is safe or dangerous in and of itself. some places have more apparent risk, but bad stuff happens everywhere. How you position yourself will be a big factor in whether or not the bad stuff happens to you, or someone else.

All that aside I don't have any objection to actual black iron weapons, I am just not experienced in their use and feel that my weapons of choice serve me better. I have no doubt that should I ever anticipate a situation where being armed would be advantageous I would, after having been trained in their use, have no trouble at all shooting dead someone who wanted to do something bad to me or mine. but I'm mean that way ; -)

Most likely in a cruising situation... Himself and I will have about 60 lbs of high strung canine with us. She isn't very welcoming if we are not very welcoming... so I don't think I would buck the global trend towards discouraging personal weapons of the percussive type.

just sic Cara on 'em.
Sara, I do agree with you when you say that you have to make yourself safe no matter where you are and your mind is far the better weapon then an inanimate object such as a pistol, can of mace etc. However I am all about options and training in all available options. Maybe being retired USA dude and a former Federal cop has educated me a bit. I still think having more options and not needing them is still better then the inverse.

Jerry

(From TX)

A Kings Trade
Dewey Lamdin

sail you right up to it!
(Johnny Depp)

Old 09-03-2009

chall03 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryrlitton View Post
I used to work in NT (Darwin) which by the way is VERY close to TX as far as attitude was concerned. Needless to say I felt very at home there.
I am in Sydney, but you are probably spot on there with Darwin.......do you get crocs in Texas???? I have only been up there twice but did actually like the place and people and great deal.

'Life is either a daring adventure or nothing' - Helen Keller

Old 09-03-2009
Back to just the Jon boat

therapy23 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by chall03 View Post
do you get crocs in Texas???? I have only been up there twice but did actually like the place and people and great deal.
Texans are more like Australians than most other Americans. They just have not had their guns taken away yet.

I don't think there is a large croc population there. Haven't been there in a while though.
Old 09-03-2009
Tundra Down

downeast450 is on a distinguished road
Somewhere in my shed is my departed adult son's BB gun. It is a "vintage" one that was manufactured as an exact replica of an AK-47 without any orange tips of anything that would make it possible to discriminate it from the real weapon. I have considered taking it along for display to discourage opportunist thugs. I would much rather have to explain what it is to a Coast Guards Man and have it discourage some crazy SOB from picking on me.

I have never shot at another human being. I suppose in the properly desperate circumstances I could if I had no other choice for self defense. I have a permit to carry. The first gun I ever owned is standing in the corner behind me. It is a J.C. Higgen's single shot 22 rifle. I bought it when I was 12 for $13.00. I have owned guns since then. I know what they are. I don't want to have to decide to use one for self defense but using the BB gun as a message seems like an idea.

What do you think?

George

Last edited by downeast450; 09-03-2009 at 07:03 PM.