SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Cruising & Liveaboard Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-liveaboard-forum/)
-   -   Chesapeake marina, (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-liveaboard-forum/56912-chesapeake-marina.html)

ughmo2000 08-08-2009 01:05 PM

Chesapeake marina,

I'm planing moving my boat up to the Chesapeake for a few months and looking at possible marinas. The operative word here being cheap.
Anyone care to offer any suggestions on where I might look?

I can go remote or urban but would prefer something within walking distance of shopping, a bit 'o nightlife, etc.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Cliff

mhartong 08-08-2009 02:06 PM

The Chesapeake is rather large. Can you narrow things down a bit, like north, central, south?

scottyt 08-08-2009 02:37 PM

if you one near the harbor i can get you a number for a marina. it does not have any amenities but it should be around 150 a month

ughmo2000 08-09-2009 01:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mhartong (Post 512260)
The Chesapeake is rather large. Can you narrow things down a bit, like north, central, south?

Yeah, it is isn't it! And thanks for responding.
As for location it really doesn't matter. My first choice would be southern. Around Norfolk or close by. Other than that something quiet, clean, with stores relatively close that isn't too outrageous in price.

mhartong 08-09-2009 06:51 PM

I'm partial to the Deltaville, VA area. Lots of different marina's all with easy access out onto the bay proper, and only a day's sail from Norfolk. Pretty laid back and low key kind of place.

SailKing1 08-09-2009 08:47 PM

Cutty sark in Norfolk is cheap and a DIY marina right near the Bay bridge tunnel. GGreat access to bay and ocean. About 1 mile to shopping center with grocery and west marine. Many restaurants in walking distance. Good people that own marina. It is abit old and not updated. Many other marinas in that area.

ughmo2000 08-09-2009 11:30 PM

Thanks to all who've responded.

I've stayed at the Cutty before, and talked to Bill Sat. Apparently they don't/no longer allow liveaboards. I've a few other leads but still looking. Might just end up on the hook for awhile.

JDF 08-10-2009 07:07 AM

Joys Marina in Hampton.They do allow some liveaboards. Not much on extras only showers but short walk to numerous restaurants/night life ,stores,hotel. Good access to the bay. Large full service marina within sight (Bluewater Yacht) if you need to hauled. Let me know if you want the #

PalmettoSailor 08-10-2009 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mhartong (Post 512448)
I'm partial to the Deltaville, VA area. Lots of different marina's all with easy access out onto the bay proper, and only a day's sail from Norfolk. Pretty laid back and low key kind of place.

While all the above is true and I'm not aware of any place on the bay that is significantly less expensive than Deltaville, the OP did want things in walking distance and said the word "Nightlife". I suppose walking distance is relative, but for me, none of the marinas in D'ville are really within reasonable walking distance to the shopping/dining areas. Also, I wouldn't say that Deltaville had anything approaching the term "Nightlife". There a a few Restaraunt/Bars where you can mingle with locals and the weekenders from Richmond amid the cigarette fog but that's about it.

So if you can work around those issues Deltaville is likely to be the least expensive place you can find with access to a whole bunch of good marine services available.

ughmo2000 08-11-2009 12:21 PM

Again, thank you all for your responses.

The Chesapeake is so big with sooo many marinas it's a pretty daunting task finding something that "fits".

If I may ask another question, do people cruise the Ches living on the hook? Is that practical or a major hassle finding anchorages?