Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2009

NautiG is on a distinguished road
Laura, no need to post a "crew wanted" ad. Just pm Smack. I'm sure he would be willing to go with you.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-17-2009
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough
Laura,

Do you have someone to leave the kids with for a week or so?

A good delivery skipper who can teach as well and a plan to launch from New England to Cape May would do wonders for your skills, experience, and self-confidence. The knowledge that you don't need to break a passage up into baby hops and the belief you would develop in your boat would be grand. It also gets you a bunch further South a lot faster.

You could drop off the skipper and collect your kids in Baltimore and do the day hops from there all the way to Florida, secure in your abilities at that point.

Importantly, you'd be in the position to *know* that you can do an overnighter or a several-day passage if it makes sense.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-17-2009
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Now that's some great advice Auspi. Well played.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 08-17-2009

lreinbach is on a distinguished road
Unfortunately we don't have anyone to leave the kids with so they'll have to come with us.
All my fears will be laid to rest if Smackdaddy could come with us too.
Old 08-17-2009
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Heh-heh. Laura - trust me, you'd have far, far more to fear with me at the helm - or anywhere near it. I would never do that to another human being.

Old 08-17-2009

NautiG is on a distinguished road
Laura, you have no idea how good Dave's advice is. Maybe either you or your husband could stay on land with the kids while the other sails the boat with an experienced delivery captain down to Baltimore, or better yet, Norfolk.

The boat would be given a good shakedown on the trip, and at least one of you would gain a lot of sailing experience. Once the boat is in Norfolk, you would be in the company of a lot of other boats doing the icw trip. I bet you could even find a some folks to buddy boat with down the icw.

I won't say that the trip is cake once you are in the icw itself, but I know I would feel a lot safer if I were in your shoes starting out in Norfolk with all the family aboard.

I would question the sanity of a delivery captain who would do the trip from Maine to Norfolk with all of you, including the newborn aboard.

Scott
Old 08-17-2009
Mermaid Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lreinbach View Post
Unfortunately we don't have anyone to leave the kids with so they'll have to come with us.
Hmm. Darn. The challenge is squeezing a delivery skipper/coach onto the boat with your whole family. I do think that is a good way to accelerate the learning curve.

It's not only about the sailing itself. There is weather forecasting, passage planning, provisioning, cooking underway, schedule management, navigation (as opposed to piloting), and personality management.

Thinking ...

You could split the trip into Newport - Bermuda and Bermuda - Norfolk with parents switching off, but the logistics and associated costs would be awkward. If you do that you MUST arrange a tour of Bermuda Radio and say hi to Nick for me.

I do still think the somewhat longer offshore legs are good for everyone - gain experience, confidence, less chance of bumping into something solid as you settle into the routine. Personally I like passages much better than bunny hopping from marina to marina - there is so much time required to get in and out, register, pay, yadda yadda yadda.

Conceivably you could find a good sailing instructor and have each of you sail out into the Atlantic for a couple of days, come back, and switch off. It wouldn't exactly be cheap.

If I think of something else useful I'll let you know.

Old 08-17-2009
Mermaid Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NautiG View Post
Laura, you have no idea how good Dave's advice is.
Thank you Scott. Very kind of you to say.

I do think you and your husband should - one way or another - get a little solid offshore exposure. I obviously don't know you or your relationship with one another; the risk is falling into blue/pink stereotypical roles which in turn means you are dependent on one person for particular skills. For life-safety capabilities like moving the boat at sea that has drawbacks. It is common, but not great.

Robert Heinlein, a famous science-fiction author said in Time Enough For Love: "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." If you and your husband can both do most of those functions life will be happier for your family. If you teach your children to do them they will be happy and confident and self-sufficient; you will have made a major contribution to humankind in the process.

Enough pontificating on my part. Please write if there is anything I can contribute to your thought process. I dearly wish my parents had been as adventurous as you and your husband are.

Last edited by SVAuspicious; 08-17-2009 at 11:03 AM.
Old 08-21-2009

lreinbach is on a distinguished road
Auspicious,
Thanks for your great advice and kind words. We've been away all week on the boat so I am just back to this thread now.
I do think it would be a bit much for a delivery captain to be on a 38' boat with all of us. I don't think I would feel too comfortable being in tight quarters with someone I don't know either.
Taking an offshore/blue water course would be ideal. I am really leaning towards putting this off until next year and spending next summer sailing all around maine and gaining more experience. I believe there are offshore sailing courses offered up here so I'll have to look into that.
Laura
Old 08-21-2009
Last Man Standing

Good call, Laura. We're planning to take the ASA combo as well. First one to get certified and come back here bragging about it wins!