Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2009

sawingknots is on a distinguished road
hi,you will be fine,I'm sure!I have never been any farther north on the than charleston s.c.,but several times up and down south of there to about west palm beach fla.the others have given you good advice!just watch your depths and try very hard not to go aground at high tide.anchorages are pretty scarce down that way and transient slips are a little pricey,beaufort s.c. has a nice safe free anchorage and a dingy dock also if you need repairs lookup peter gamble at marsh harbour boat yard[great people]
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-21-2009

sawingknots is on a distinguished road
st.petersburg fla.also has a free anchorage but is usually quite crowded,hmmm almost all the old draw bridges in fla.have been replaced with very high new ones.good luck and have fun
Old 08-21-2009

NautiG is on a distinguished road
Laura,

In the spirit of adventure, I really think you should go now. However, I do think you are a day late and dollar short in terms of time and experience. You probably should have left Maine in early summer in order to do short hops and gain experience on a trip south.

You really could catch up in both time and experience, if one of you took the boat to Norfolk with an experienced delivery captain. I wouldn't think it would take more than a week or two (depending on where Hurricane Bill and future friends were headed), and more than a grand or two (depending on the captain's monetary needs).

It does make me a little sad that you are considering spending a cold winter in Maine, instead of heading out on an adventure to warmer climes.

Scott
Gemini Catamaran Split Decision
Old 08-22-2009

lreinbach is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by NautiG View Post
You really could catch up in both time and experience, if one of you took the boat to Norfolk with an experienced delivery captain. I wouldn't think it would take more than a week or two (depending on where Hurricane Bill and future friends were headed), and more than a grand or two (depending on the captain's monetary needs).

It does make me a little sad that you are considering spending a cold winter in Maine, instead of heading out on an adventure to warmer climes.
It makes us sad too! We are now back to talking about hiring a captain and having my husband go and I stay home with the kids and then meet him later. Do you think going to Chesapeake would be ok? We thought maybe we could go to the boat show in october. Would we be able to handle to boat from there after my husband has had a week or so experience with a captain? Or would it be better to go all the way to Norfolk?
The main reason we wanted to get down to FL this year is my dad has terminal cancer. My parents live in Melbourne and I thought we could anchor or moor close to them.
Old 08-23-2009

NautiG is on a distinguished road
Laura,

That sounds like a great plan! If you made it to the boat show, you would be right on time for the trip south. And of course, you would be in Annapolis where you could easily repair anything that broke during the delivery, or add any equipment that your husband and the captain found was missing.

Melbourne was as far south as I got on my trip. I really liked the Indian River. My admiral came down for Spring Break and spent a week on the boat with me there. It was her first extended cruise on the boat. I also saw a space shuttle launch while down there.

Sorry to hear about your dad.

Scott
Gemini Catamaran Split Decision

Last edited by NautiG; 08-23-2009 at 07:10 AM.
Old 08-27-2009

bottleinamessage is an unknown quantity at this point
Sign up for BoatUS unlimited towing before you depart. Not being a smart ass. It will pay for itself on the first tow!
Old 08-27-2009

lreinbach is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottleinamessage View Post
Sign up for BoatUS unlimited towing before you depart. Not being a smart ass. It will pay for itself on the first tow!
Yes, I've heard this mentioned several times. I hear quite a few people ground their boats. I am sure that will be us!!
Old 08-27-2009
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough
Heading to the Chesapeake would be fine. One benefit is that lots of cruisers use the Annapolis boat show as a launch point for heading south. The timing is good for insurance limitations on heading into the hurricane belt after November.

You could easily hook up with buddy boats, perhaps with similarly aged kids, to provide some mutual support on your way south.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-29-2009
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by lreinbach View Post
It makes us sad too! We are now back to talking about hiring a captain and having my husband go and I stay home with the kids and then meet him later. Do you think going to Chesapeake would be ok? We thought maybe we could go to the boat show in october. Would we be able to handle to boat from there after my husband has had a week or so experience with a captain? Or would it be better to go all the way to Norfolk?
The main reason we wanted to get down to FL this year is my dad has terminal cancer. My parents live in Melbourne and I thought we could anchor or moor close to them.
Sounds like the plan to me. Once you are in the Chesapeake getting to Norfolk is easy compared to the offshore stuff coming down. Running down the ditch will be a piece of cake. You will even get a few chances to hoist the rags.

Finding somewhere to anchor might be little more challenging. It is a bit of a hot topic down here with the position changing every so often as different bits of anti liveaboard legislation gets tested in court. Keep your eye on this site. Cruiser’s Net | AnchoragesEF - All | Page 2 You might want to ask around for some cheap dockage too lots of empty condos with docks around there.

Go for it!
Old 03-08-2012

Xx Darkwing xX is on a distinguished road
Re: Newbies sailing south on the ICW

All
I'm new here and planning a similar trip fro Oct 2013. Is there an update on how the trip went? Any after action info I could learn from? We are in the exact same situation skill wise so we could use the info.

Darkwing