Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2009

ekenna is on a distinguished road
hurricaine Bill heading my way

Not sure if this is the right place to post this but I figure cruiser proably have more experience with this kind of thing. I 28 foot boat is on a mooring on northern chesapeake. (bohemia river ). I only have a little 11 hp motor that at most does 4 knots. Right now the motor will not start. I am having a guy look at it on early saturday. By that time Hurricaine Bill should be off hateras NC posed to hit VA,MD,DE,NJ with 100+ winds. I read somewhere take all the canvas off. Ill do that. I need to get a 2nd line for the mooring which I can get on friday night. The existing line and then 2nd one I will put on is 3/4 inch. I also plan on putting chafe gear around them both and lashing the wheel in place. Should I leave it on the mooring? or get it put on the hard? I was on the hook in a chartered 30 foot sailboat in 65 mile winds a few years ago and I would not llike to repeat although we were on the boat when a storm went through 3 weeks ago that had 35 miles winds and the boat was not swing back and forth like that other one did however I was paniced because they had said tornado warning. So I am not really keen on going somewhere and riding it out.

The mooring is on the north side of the river. Its about a half mile across. The river runs east west. If the wind is from the east,south,or west the wave fetch would be a half mile or more. Not exactly sheltered.

Also I draw 4.5 feet. I have never had the boat hauled at this marina (only just bought it) I have only ever been in as far as the fuel dock. I was told that I can only get hauled out at high tide around noon so if I miss that the next chance sunday at noon probably in the middle of high winds. so if I can not get motor running by noon haul out is not an option.

your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-17-2009
Aeolus II

mccary is on a distinguished road
Lets hope Bill visits Nova Scotia

It appears that Bill will pass well East of the DelMarVa peninsula (National Hurricane Center), but being prepared is always prudent. I keep my boat at a slip on West River and am keeping a close eye on Bill too. Also look at the 2 high pressure systems; one over western NC and one just off Cape Hatteras. Hopefully these 2 systems will steer Bill out to sea. BUT if they move East we could be in for a blow!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-17-2009

Michael K is on a distinguished road
It is far too early to predict where Bill will come ashore, if at all. Assuming the worst, I tend to worry more about the storm surge than the wind force. I, too, keep my boat on the Chesapeake's West River. Back when Isabel paid us a visit it was the surge that caused most of the damage; boats in slips were lucky to suffer just dock rash. I was glad to be on a mooring then and am equally glad now.
Old 08-18-2009
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road
looks like ye may be off the hook, so to speak--just do unless ye want an exciting ride not go sailing in nova scotia or newfoundland......could be a wild ride....

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.