Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2002

kimberlite is on a distinguished road
East Coast to Fla to Caribbean - NOW

Dear Matt,
thanks for not taking offense at my post.
I think a wheel pilot will serve you well although i would go for a below decks pilot. I have seen many blue water tartan 37''s with a wheel pilot.

The idea of trucking south is a great one. I would call an number of boat yards around north carolina and see if they recommend any boat haulers. then call all of them and see if they are making any deliveries north. You will get a great rate on the return trip as most of them this time of year go south empty. My guestimate to haul the boat to say- oriental NC is about 3000-

The cost to rent an epirb or raft for a year exceeds the purchase price. I would look on ebay for both.
i would but the epirb first and then when you head for the carib buy thre raft.
You might call a few raft rebuilders and see if they have any used rebuilt rafts. Try liferaft and survival equip in portsmouth RI. they will also give you a pile of newly outdated solas flares if you buy a raft from them. I would hold off on any major work until i got south as the work is much cheaper in the south than in the boston area.

installing the ssb is not hard . Insytalling the counterpoise for the radio can take days.

I will be leaving for the canaries the middle of next month and should be in the carib by mid februrary.
please keep me posted . maybe we can hook up in the carib this winter.

by the time you get to the carib i am sure you will be skilled enough to go home via bermuda.please take a look at bill seiferts book.
it is one of the best books about outfitting for offshore. the other book to get is "gentlemen don''t sail to weather"
id describes how to sail east from the bahamas to the caribbean.

the trip north to boston is best done in late may . i usually head north late april-early may and it gets pretty hairy. later in the month is better.

The gulf stream goes from "was that the gulf stream? whats the big deal?-" to "holy ****".
you really need some good forecast before you leave bermuda.
fair winds,
eric
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-09-2002

WHOOSH is on a distinguished road

Stormer:

I''m rushing this a.m. so these are quick but probably not terribly thorough replies to your Q''s:
1. If you''re unfamiliar with recommissioning our boat, this is a great time to learn and will be one add''l benefit of doing what you''re considering. Between the manuals (e.g. recommission the engine, hot water heater, etc.) and the destination boatyard (Deaton''s in Oriental, NC is one excellent one), you''ll find it straightforward.
2. If you plop in February and begin down the ICW, you''ll be asking your bottom paint to stretch for another 18 months or so before decommission in Boston in Fall, 2003. Don''t overlook being able to add a coat for the cost of the paint before leaving.
3. As you noticed, most of the longer runs going down island are in the 1 or 2 overnight category (e.g. Georgetwon, Great Exuma to Provo, T&C; Provo to Luperon, DR; Luperon to Samana or, if the window holds, to Mayaguez, P.R.). You don''t tell us if you''ll be singlehanding (I hope not - easier and much more enjoyable with a good friend as crew) but, if you are, those runs are probably at the limit for you. Re: the return leg, I would not recommend the Bermuda route despite Eric''s comments. You should assume you will lose the pilot - even with crew, that''s a long haul on both sides. Moreover, the frontal wx is still active & iffy that time of year (May) north of Bermuda. I''d suggest you consider long downwind legs going back but while keeping the many large U.S. ports available as your back door, should you need it, and ride the Stream. From the Abacos, you''d have St. Johns R. near Jax, FL; St. Mary''s R. on FL/GA border; Charleston, Port Royal Sound near Hilton Head, and so forth. All easily entered 24/7. Remember: you can still make miles every day inside should the wx be lousy outside, altho'' offshore legs will save you a lot of time.
4. The yard will have a problem providing truck access to your boat, I would guess. Discuss this soon. And yes, trucking companies are who you must contact for the haul; +/- experiences abound re: timing, driver, etc. but most boats suffer no ill effects.
5. If you have refrigeration, you''ll have battery capacity issues to deal with. But for 6 months, is it really worth adding a $1-1.5K sysem that will only partially offset amps consumed? Best bet IMO would be to add a small-frame hicap alternator and external regulator. Talk with Jack Csenge at Jack Rabbit Marine - great little firm and good people.
6. Re: your friend and the SSB, that''s the kind of approach I like to see. Wrap your own hands around the project and you''ll be more comfortable with it. Even so, it won''t be cheap...but invaluable if you work at using it and the install. Ham radios are built to transmit only on the small ham portions of each band but listen on all freqs/bands. Marine SSB radios do the same, just at different segments of each band. You''ll need to find a shop (any ham shop will probably accommodate you) to remove one component in the transmit circuit to make a ham radio an all-band transceiver (talk/listen on any freq). This is a good safety step even if you stick with the radio''s legal freq''s for normal operation.

Jack
Old 12-09-2002

thomasstone is on a distinguished road

Not to put a damper on things but check this out.We are all okay, and I am better for the experience. thomas http://www.theroyalgazette.com/apps/pbcs.dll/artikkel?SearchID=73119343062803&Avis=RG&Dato=2002 1207&Kategori=NEWS&Lopenr=112070044&Ref=AR
Old 12-09-2002

Angelina is on a distinguished road

Hey..did it 8 years ago.
A) Truck the boat to Florida....try BoatsExpress 727-791-1649. Cost me $2000
to get the boat from Rochester to Tarpon Springs. (I would have spent the same amount in diesel, damage,reparis etc.
B) Fix it up down here to go criusing.....
C) Just do it....I wish I had done it years earlier!
Bill
"Angelina"
Old 12-09-2002

Stormer is on a distinguished road

Oh my God! Glad to hear you are ok! Reenforces the point to make sure hull, rigging, etc. is all in good shape and adequate safety equipment on board!!!
Old 12-09-2002

Stormer is on a distinguished road

Thanks Bill - gave them an call and am getting a quote.

Regards
Old 12-10-2002

DuaneIsing is on a distinguished road

Wow, Thomas! Yes, so glad you came through OK.

If it isn''t too much to ask, what was there about the failed thru-hull that made it impossible to stop or slow the leak?

Duane
Old 12-10-2002

Johnrb is on a distinguished road

Regarding the proposed trip through the islands leaving from Florida, the following website may be useful: www3.sympatico.ca/destinycalls/

The couple sailed a CS 27 south through the islands spending the hurricane season in Venezuela and then returning by the same route. They provide a lot of information and detail their cruising costs as well.

Good luck.
Old 12-11-2002

kimberlite is on a distinguished road

stormer,
i seem to have misplaced your e-mail.
please send again to.
kimberlt@optonline.net
thanks
eric
Old 12-11-2002

thomasstone is on a distinguished road

Duane, I was asleep.I had come off my watch at 4am and was awoken to wake up were sinking.(terrible way to wake up ,I was sure I was dreaming.)I looked down an there was approx one and half feet of water. We threw over the life raft and I went back below to check all of the sea cocks. The knot metrer thru hull was broken off.We put it back on , and started bailing but the water was still coming in. At this point it was about two feet of water in the boat and rising and the owner did not want us down inside. We stayed on the boat till it was practically sunk ,then got into the life raft. thomas