Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2009
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Well, here comes the dissenting thread, I guess.

I personally would not cruise on anything smaller than the mid to upper 30's. Of course, it has always been me, wife, kiddo and at least one worthless mutt. I honestly believe in singlehanding everything. Period. Any boat too big to singlehand is too big. I certainly do not think a properly equipped 40-50 foot boat is too difficult to single. Besides, it is the motoring that is hard, not the sailing part. And don't forget, Camaraderie and his wife cruised all over the place on a Tayana 52. My parents first boat was a Tayana 42.

Boat reccomendations would be Tayana 42, Tayana 52, Mason 44, Taswell 44 and 49, Valiant 42 or 50, Passport 40 (and the other Passports), Hylas 49, Anything by Hallberg-Rassy, Oyster. The list goes on.

The issue is how much $$ you want to spend (US, of course, I don't do conversions).

However, the ability to cross an ocean is really more captain focused then boat focused. I don't doubt that most modern production baots could cross an ocean. I just got a pic from a C400 owner of his boat in Bermuda (second trip). THey have also made HI and other long distance destinations.

Many production boats would require modifications in my opinion. Also, legth of a boat is not always a good indicator of its potential speed. Many performace cruisers will exceed hull speed. I will tell you that a C400, my boat, has no problem sitting right on hull speed in a 15-20 wind. Giulietta, a 40 foot mono, will exceed her hull speed and has been clocked over 15 kts.

Just some thoughts.

- CD

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-02-2009

emagin is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to emagin Send a message via Yahoo to emagin
Check the cruising boat stats in my signature.
Full list of boats you can sort by size and all the above referenced lists integrated.
Good luck!
I agree with the small as possible philosophy.
|
|
|
Old 09-02-2009

imagine2frolic is on a distinguished road
My wife, and I cruise a 46ft. cat. We can't use all the storage, but when we have company. Sometimes as much as 4 plus us. We never feel crowded. There's a statroom for 3 couples, 2 heads, and one shower to be shared. There's 2 bows to seek solitude, and the deck space including tramps isover 1000sq.ft. Get as big as you can afford & afford to keep up, and easily sailed by 2. You will never regret it........i2f

BORROWED, No single one of us is as smart as all of us!

Old 09-15-2009
Aupiipii Hunter 45Passage

Aupiipii is on a distinguished road
Michael,

I sail a 45 foot by myself and have no problem for handling her. Most of 40 foot are roomy enough for two, a 45 foot give extra space. If your budget is high and really like to have space, then a 50 foot might be for you. Modern boats come with modern equipment. A good crew of 2 can easily sail a 50 foot modern sailboat. If you buy an older boat, you will probably welcome new equipment coming on board before leaving shore.

What boat to choose ? How to respond ?

What do you like ? Ketch, sloop, cutter, wooden boats, aluminium, fibreglass or even steel boat, it is almost impossible to answer.

I do have 150 gal of fuel and I am fine with this. I am not in need of more.
I do have 200 gal of waters and I have installed a water-maker. I guess I am using too much water. I have a shower on deck, then when it is warm, it is easy to take a quick shower to get colder. But little showers after little showers, tank gets empty too fast.

About tax, here is some info.

You buy your boat in your country and pay taxes. When you return, you are all clear.

You buy you boat in a foreign country. First you have to register the vessel in your country with your name. Since the boat is outside of your country, you have no taxes to pay. (double-check with your custom)

Once you return.

You want to sale the boat. Sale it in a foreign country, still no taxes to pay.
You want to keep you boat. Once your boat will be in the waters of your country, you will have to pay VAT.

Hope this helps a little.